Thread: Base Layer desicions

Default Base Layer desicions

I am gonna buy a set of base layer for this fall caribou/moose and winter POW deer hunting. I love Under Armor gear, own tons of the stuff, but have read at a different site that it doesn't last more than a few days. It is being said Merino Wool is the way to go. My other layers are gonna be KUIU.

I am looking for something that wicks, helps keep warm/cool when needed, and maybe scent blocking but this is not the most important thing.

Please give me some suggestion who I should look at for my base layer. Thanks for the help.

I've gone almost entirely merino wool with my base layers. The brand doesn't matter a ton - there are lots of good options. I think my favorite stuff is made by Icebreaker, but the KUIU merino stuff I have is good too. If you don't have any yet, I'd suggest you buy a shirt or two and use it on some hikes this summer to see what you think.

Merino is the way to go. I've got First Lite, Minus 33, Icebreaker..... not a ton of difference in it.

Pay attention to the gr/in number... the really thin stuff is a bit fragile for outerwear. The mid and heavy weight stuff is tough as nails. I've been using a Minus 33 heavyweight for 6 years...like 40 days a year. Still going strong.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Pay attention to the gr/in number... the really thin stuff is a bit fragile for outerwear. The mid and heavy weight stuff is tough as nails.
    Is this the number such as 150/200/300? If so, I personally prefer 150 weight for most uses. I'd rather double up on 150s than have a single heavier layer. I usually run a short sleeve 150 under a long sleeve 150 and then supplement with an insulation layer if needed. That way I can shed the long sleeve if it gets hot, etc. I find the 200 to be too warm for most uses, but then again, I'm rarely sitting still when I'm hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Is this the number such as 150/200/300? If so, I personally prefer 150 weight for most uses. I'd rather double up on 150s than have a single heavier layer. I usually run a short sleeve 150 under a long sleeve 150 and then supplement with an insulation layer if needed. That way I can shed the long sleeve if it gets hot, etc. I find the 200 to be too warm for most uses, but then again, I'm rarely sitting still when I'm hunting.
    That's the number-grams per square meter... I had some 125s and they're great for wearing under something, but for and outside layer they got torn up pretty fast. The heavier version does a lot better in the brush. I use a 1/4 zip a lot so I can ventilate when I'm moving and then zip it up for glassing.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks guys! Luckily, I grew up in Sacramento, CA and my brother lives about 20 minutes from the KUIU store. I went this fall and drooled all over the displays. (I don't think they were happy with me) but I did like their stuff a lot. I was thinking of running the same layering as you Brian but with the quarter zip like Hodgeman was saying. The one issue is I am ridiculously picky, according to my best half, and I am constantly sending back stuff from online. I gotta touch it to see if I like it. Oh well, the burdens of living in Alaska!!! I will definitely be trying it this summer on my hikes!! Maybe see you guys out there!

I like the Merino Wool from Outdoor Research call Sequence. They have the long sleeved zip shirt, the bottoms and now the boxer shorts. I have all, they are warm, they do not stink like other materials when they have not been washed. They are affordable as well and Guaranteed for life.

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    I like the Merino Wool from Outdoor Research call Sequence. They have the long sleeved zip shirt, the bottoms and now the boxer shorts. I have all, they are warm, they do not stink like other materials when they have not been washed. They are affordable as well and Guaranteed for life.
    Thanks Cold, I will have to look into these. They are a decent price as well.

I like the Kuiu merino 1/4 zip that I bought, but I still prefer Patagonia capilene to everything else. I generally wear silk weight bottoms, a light weight t-shirt or 1/4 zip long sleeve as my base layer. If it is a bit colder, I wear a mid weight 1/4 zip long sleeve on top. That is covered by an old expedition weight capilene top or the newer R1. I've been wearing their versions of capilene base layers for as long as they've made it - at least 20 years.