Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear mauling story last weekend

Default Bear mauling story last weekend

I'm sure we've all been following the thread with Claude and Brian about the bear hunter who was mauled last weekend. My question is, are we ever going to find out what happened to the poor guy? Never mind all the drama about accusations and whether or not someone broke the law or whether or not we should kill bears at all. I was just curious if we are ever going to know any of the details of what happened to the guy. Why is the story being covered up? I think it would all be beneficial to the hunting community if we knew what happened. Maybe we could learn something from the situation. We don't need to be judgmental and pass judgement on the guy. Even if he did do something unethical I think he probably learned his lesson don't you guys? I for one would like to know some of the details to the story. Claude, if you can't talk about it in public, could you share some information through a private message or something? Did he accidentally shoot a sow with cubs or something? Did he try going near a bear's den? Is he okay? I assume he survived, but maybe not.

I heard a pretty good story from a nurse who attended to him the day before yesterday...
    He told her exactly what happened..
    It's quite a tale..
    Illegal? No..
    Unethical? No..
    Learn from it? Oooooooh yah!!!
    I'm not gonna spoil it, but I'll say this, he could've done things A LOT differently...
    Is head is pretty jacked up, but he'll live...

Yeah. I'd like to hear the story too. I always heard the best way to get them thar bears is to sneak up on em, real quiet like, and shoot em right in the coconut, while thar a sleeping.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I think it would be very educational and helpful for everyone if somebody posted the story.

http://www.liveoutdoors.com/news/233...ructor-alaska/

there is this story as well that just came out.

I think Claude hit it right when he said that it's the hunter's story to tell. I imagine it'll come out eventually, but you can't really blame a guy and his family for wanting some time to recover first.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I think Claude hit it right when he said that it's the hunter's story to tell. I imagine it'll come out eventually, but you can't really blame a guy and his family for wanting some time to recover first.
    Fair enough. Good point Brian. Prayers sent for the man and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by AkReaper View Post
    http://www.liveoutdoors.com/news/233...ructor-alaska/

there is this story as well that just came out.
    That's not the same mauling. That was in Haines and the guy was a UAS professor leading a mountaineering course - NOT a hunter.

Well who ever he is and what ever the story is, he has my prayers for a speedy and full recovery. He may be one of those guys that feels no need to get on the internet and share information. That is totally his call in my opinion. If he is really 77 years old sharing personal information on the internet is not some thing he grew up doing.

I suspect his story will eventually get told.

The people who know the story know the story, any speculation is just that... speculation. On something sensitive like this where emotions can run high and people were hurt, probably best to just wait for the story to come out and learn those lessons if the hunters decide to tell the story.. after all they were the ones who were there for the event.

Great questions, and excellent point npbowhunter. I'd love to tell the story, as it's pretty amazing, but it's not mine. But a quick clarification... there was zero illegal activity in any of the story. There might be some lessons learned, but also, I doubt I'd done much different then they did. Now, today I would, but not before the incident.

I do hope they tell the story some day, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Keep the hunter in your thoughts. He's doing okay and on the road to recovery. This could have happened to any of us that spend any time in the woods.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Even if the story is never heard just maybe add awareness to your bag of tricks and try to imagine what could go wrong and adapt a game
    Plan.
    I had a wounded brown bear in the brush earlier this morning, my mind was thinking...a lot
    More aware as I feel this mauling hit me little closer to home than
    Others have.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'm sitting here reading this thread in the hopes of learning about the mauling and I know little more than I did 10 minutes ago. Being a hunter myself and often times for spring bear, I'm anxious to learn how I might avoid a similar situation and becoming a victim. If the gentlemen never posts the story, as is suggested, it would be a lesson lost for all of us. It seems to me that by making some disclaimers at the beginning of a story it could be told 2nd person with no harm done and may provide a life saving lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Why is the story being covered up?
    Even if he did do something unethical...
    It is exactly this sort of speculation that turns so many threads into outhouses.

Why do you assume it's being "covered up".

The people who know aren't talking out of respect to the hunter in question. And asking Claude to backdoor the guy is a ****** move. For the purposes of context, I'm one of Claude's best friends and I don't know any details, so what makes you think he'd just up and tell you?

He will tell the story when and if he's ready. And if he chooses not to tell then so be it. It's none of our business.

But then what do I know about waiting months to share the details of an incident with this forum...
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Back before forums there was lots of stories we didn't hear. We all made it just fine. Breath deep folks....you'll make it.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    It is exactly this sort of speculation that turns so many threads into outhouses.

The people who know aren't talking out of respect to the hunter in question. And asking Claude to backdoor the guy is a ****** move. For the purposes of context, I'm one of Claude's best friends and I don't know any details, so what makes you think he'd just up and tell you?

He will tell the story when and if he's ready. And if he chooses not to tell then so be it. It's none of our business.

But then what do I know about waiting months to share the details of an incident with this forum...
    Wait, what? Our incident was all a cover up to hide the fact we were studying chem trails above PWS....
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post

Let's all try to calm down just a little. I didn't mean anything by saying it was being covered up. All I meant by the statement is that the story is being kept a secret from the public when it could be used as a platform for educating the public about being safe in bear country. If you read my further statements I elaborated that out of respect for the hunter/victim I refrained from inquiring further about the situation.

I have been extremely curious about this story myself.

I am going to venture a guess. I think he shot the bear, followed it into the brush or wherever, thought it was dead, let down his guard and whatnot, the bear got up and mauled him. His partner then shot the bear again, finishing it.

A big part of me wants to know what happened to maybe it could be a lesson learned to someone like me who hasn't hunted bears much but plans to in the future.

Anyways, I am glad to hear he is recovering. I just hope when I am his age I am out doing the things I love like him!

I know a guy who says he talked to a guy who read on the internet that it was not a bear, that in fact it was an attack by Manbearpig so Al Gore had the story taken off the internet and it is now under super secret squirrel cover. On a serious note hope the hunter is recovering well.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

I have had 2 family members gnawed on by bears they had shot. My great grandpa shot a big boar in Wisconsin about 1910. Set the rifle down thinking the bear was dead and it wasn't. They had quite a disagreement about who was actually gonna be dead, and grandpa won out. He was still nursing some of the wounds when he died that winter from an infection after getting a hernia. Dr. figured the infection was likely made worse from the mauling injuries.
    Uncle shot a black bear when I was a kid on the Quinault Reservation. It ran into the brush. he tracked it. Was getting dark. He heard some noise up ahead and hurried that way, jumping over a log. The noise he heard was likely elk, and the bear was on the other side of the log. Uncle got his foot and ankle pretty chewed up before he could manage a head shot on it.
    I had to go after a wounded bear up Tustamena with my cousin many years ago. Son of the uncle that was chewed. Man was he hesitant to go into the brush after that bear. I did, and ended up almost standing on it before I found it. Was still alive, but barely. Fun times.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast