Thread: New Leupold Rangefinder, RX-IV Boone & Crockett

Default New Leupold Rangefinder, RX-IV Boone & Crockett

Many of you won't believe me but Leupold is coming out with a new rangefinder this year that will help us determine "Antler Width". I sent them a design about 3 years ago for a scope and they used the idea to produce a rangefinder. It will have a "Trophy Scale" on it in which you can set from 10" to 60" to measure an animals antler width!

They are now listed in magazines for sale, @ $530 bucks! I am being sent a few of them to test out and will keep everyone posted on them. Hopefully these will assist us in judging a 50" moose!

I will post some field test results soon after I receive them.

MH

sounds awesome!

Talking Can't wait till moose season to try it

Ah yes my little brother moose call..........I remember the day you told us about your idea. Got one for your ole buddy out near Glennallen? If not, I'll take a t-shirt if you have one!

Is Leupold taking responsibility for the 49 1/2 inch bulls that get shot with these scopes?

Leupold is a great company and this rangefinder might just be mistake proof but I think they're opening a can o' liability worms with this.

Moosecall since this was your concept can you explain how it works?
    Not flaming your idea just suspiciously curious...

Does it assume a fixed dimension like skull width across the eyes, and then extrapolate antler width?

Talking Liability Concerns???????????

Erik.... So you are the reason their is a warning on 5-gallon buckets....

Just kiddin

I'm sure the company's lawyers are all over the whole "It's not our fault thing."

Sounds like a cool device tho.

Another option on this rangefinder intruiges me. It's the B&C rangefinder.
    You program your rifles ballistics into the rangefinder and a dot highlights the bracket on the B&C display which corresponds to the correct bracket in your B&C riflescope you should use for a shot at that distance.

Kinda cool idea....

I ordered one from Cabela's the other day.

TL

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post

Moosecall since this was your concept can you explain how it works?
    Not flaming your idea just suspiciously curious...

Does it assume a fixed dimension like skull width across the eyes, and then extrapolate antler width?

I didn't invent the thing and have never seen one. But once you know the distance, it's a fairly simple bit of geometry to determine a size at that distance. For example, you probably already know already that one MOA is approximately equal to 1 inch at 100 yards, 2 inches at 200, etc. So in theory, it would be easy enough to just put two hash marks that would equate to 50" at the yardage being read by the rangefinder.

I doubt there is a huge liability issue, but I'd bet they would be ready for that. Seems like anyone would take on that same liability issue by describing an antler judging method, but I agree, this does stretch the issue a bit by giving you a "shoot/don't shoot" guage. Still, I think it's a good thing overall. I was just thinking about this the other day. Seems like it would be widely applicable for trophy judgement in general.

Eric,

Like CWH said, I do believe it's just a math thing. As with anything that helps you judge something, it is only an aid to help out. The responsibility of shooting a legal moose is the hunters call. I hope this aids us all in the decision.

When they send me one, I will be testing it out. I am able to go down to the Kenai Moose Research Center and try it on some live moose that I will be able to actually measure the antlers, that is soon after the biologists darts it for me!

Will keep you posted.

Wink great idea

Great idea. You can get a rough estimate anyway by using your scope or rangefinder at a known distance as cwh described. In the wildlife enforcement reports there are lots of sublegal moose shot each year by people making poor judgements of antler size. This would cut down on excuses and mistakes. Can they make one that would indicate a full curl ram?!!!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default Leupy B&C RF - Trophy Scale

Just wondering what you thought of this rangefinder.
    I tried this RF out in September. Although we called in a couple of bulls, they didn't give us a visual opportunity with this RF.
    On a variety of other objects at various ranges before the hunt though, the TS feature seems worthwhile; accurately estimating widths within 4 inches or so.

Maybe experience is the best teacher, but I can see it being helpful - esp for a bull several hundred yards out.