Thread: Boating for blackies - Valdez Area

Default Boating for blackies - Valdez Area

Curious if anyone has taken boats out and rode the edges all around for black bear? My neighbor mentioned it today to me, but wasn't sure the likelihood of finding one or where to even start. I have only baited up in GMU 20 and got one last year, but i'm more or less looking for something I can do with a veteran or active duty military that may not have the time to run a stand and has a free weekend.

Thanks!

I've been kicking around the idea of heading that way as well. Havent heard much about the snow levels though.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Valdez is known for having the right habitat to create some incredible blackies. If I had a chance to hunt for them around there I would. I would think cruising the beaches sure can't hurt. You'll never know unless you try....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

according to the fish and game biologists the first black bear sealed last year from PWS was May 10th. last year had less snow than this year although the snow this year seems to be melting fast, their are very little greens in the sound. Bears don't move until there is something for them to eat. The lack of snow means that greens will show up high the same time they show on the beaches. Finding a bear on the Beach may be tough this spring but your odds are 100% better if you go than if you stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I've been kicking around the idea of heading that way as well. Havent heard much about the snow levels though.
    Hell chris its better than sitting at home.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by AKteach View Post
    according to the fish and game biologists the first black bear sealed last year from PWS was May 10th.

First bear near Valdez sealed this year was April 16th. I bagged it.

Good Job MYSabo! do you have any pictures? if so please share. This site is in need of some good hunt reports. I talked to a bio on Monday that told me no PWS bears had been sealed yet you must be the first. Was your bear close to the beach or did you find him on a hillside?

I sealed it on sunday. I found him on a hillside, theres bear anywhere the sun has cooked off the snow. I posted a picture on the 2016 picture thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TXinAK View Post
    Curious if anyone has taken boats out and rode the edges all around for black bear? My neighbor mentioned it today to me, but wasn't sure the likelihood of finding one or where to even start. I have only baited up in GMU 20 and got one last year, but i'm more or less looking for something I can do with a veteran or active duty military that may not have the time to run a stand and has a free weekend.

Thanks!
    You can burn a lot of time and gas cruising. When I had my boat, I picked a bay and learned it. Many nooks n crannies where we found bears. Also ran a bait in there. Guy would sit bait n I'd keep dog and whoever else w me on my boat, or raft. Can see bears any time of day, but most productive is mornings till 11 or so and watching low tides, brings bears off the beaches further allowing more time for a stalk. CANT shoot from a boat. Late afternoons till dark is also great, but any low tide is worth looking. Plus lots of areas have grass tight to trees and fresh skunk cabbage is their favorite also.

I'm in anchorage but would show a newbie around PWS on Whittier side and how to run a boat if needed, break in motors, and running into shore for stalking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be breaking the rebuilt motor in here in two weeks. Probably wont be until late May if I get a chance to head down there. Wanted to take the boat down to test it out in Valdez before buying rods/reels needed for halibut/rockfish this summer anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by MTSabo View Post
    I sealed it on sunday. I found him on a hillside, theres bear anywhere the sun has cooked off the snow. I posted a picture on the 2016 picture thread.
    Just saw the pic, beautiful man just beautiful!

i can tell you black bears are out on the KP. saw two

They are out there!
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.