Thread: Help...Salmon Berries...?

Default Help...Salmon Berries...?

So my girlfriends favorite thing in the world are salmon berries. She bought seeds online and they were duds, no sprouts.

So so my question is, does anyone have some I can get clippings from (I'll pay), or know where I can find some. (I am in Anchorage).

thanks, really appreciate any help/advice

Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post
    So my girlfriends favorite thing in the world are salmon berries. She bought seeds online and they were duds, no sprouts.

So so my question is, does anyone have some I can get clippings from (I'll pay), or know where I can find some. (I am in Anchorage).

thanks, really appreciate any help/advice
    I Think I saw them at mile 5.2 greenhouse in eagle river. Im headed out there this weekend for some trees and will look

I appreciate that!

They grow wild down here. And this year they are blooming about three weeks early. If you can't get any from anchorage I can dig some up for you. Pot them in 3 gallon grow bags and send them up on Alaska air taxi. You would have to pay freight. There are two varieties here. Red and yellow. Both are good.

If he wants wild ones, they grow like mad in Whittier. Personally I see little reason to attempt to garden them, as their ideal climate/habitat is more like our coastal areas and there are more than enough to pick in season.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If he wants wild ones, they grow like mad in Whittier. Personally I see little reason to attempt to garden them, as their ideal climate/habitat is more like our coastal areas and there are more than enough to pick in season.
    When is salmonberry season? Towards fall more I would assume?
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    When is salmonberry season? Towards fall more I would assume?
    Yep, mid August onwards in a normal year.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Where I pick salmon berries it is mid July and by mid August they are starting to wither up and fall off.
    By the third week in August I find it doesn't pay to even try for Salmonberries.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Just depends on the weather, this yeas I suspect they will be early. Last year we picked about six gallons of them..

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I suspect every area is different as well.
    Whittier vs Seldovia vs ???
    My wife prefers blueberries so we do a lot more of those.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I appreciate all the feedback. We do go picking them, but she wants to try to plant some. I told her it might be extremely tough for them to grow, but she is rather persistent lol. Dragon, I may just take you up on that offer! That would be awesome!

I planted blueberries once for the same reason, once we got one berry on the bushes...

No problem. The salmonberries look amazing this year. I've never seen then so loaded with flowers this early. I'm inland at a higher elevation and they grow everywhere here. Along the roads and just about anywhere the land has been cleared. The local tribe did a study years back concerning why the wild berries stop producig fruit sometimes. The answer was that the berries have a symbiotic relationship with the spruce trees. When land is cleared the berries take over. But after a while they don't get enough of the nutrients they need and stop producing berries. If you allow small spruce to intermingle with you salmonberries (and blueberries) the trees will continue to put the nutrients back in the soil and the berries keep producing. I didn't do the study but I did get to read it and it seems to work well. The berries on this lot have produced heavily since 1986. They are not the lovely well manicured patches I would like, rather a rough and tumble mix of small spruce, alders and some Devils clubs but it seems to work. Hope this helps.