Thread: AK BHA Meet 'n greet...

Default AK BHA Meet 'n greet...

Tomorrow at Moose's tooth at 6. If you're interested in AK BHA, want to meet the national ED and the new leadership in AK c'mon down. Hear what BHA has been doing outside to defend public access to public lands,and how the BHA mission statement is relevant to Alaskan hunters.
    No longer a "fledgling" group, BHA recently had 5000 people participate in the 2016 rondy in Missoula. Meet Land Tawney, have some beer and a pizza...and it won't cost $1000.

It is better remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I had hoped to attend Dave ......may have company coming up the Alcan to ruin plans.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    ...and it won't cost $1000.

It is better remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
    Seriously?

If there where doubt as to where my money might be better spent...such comments would tend to dispel them.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Great time last night at Moose's tooth. Land Tawney is a real down to earth hunter and a great guy to rep BHA national. Org picked up pizza and beer for about a dozen attendees, including Dan Rinella, brother of Steve from "meat eater".
    Classiest story? Land called the guy who wrote the op-ed that was a rebuttal to RHAK's attack on Nate Turner. The one that dragged BHA through the mud with the ridiculous "green decoy" propaganda campaign. Land invited him to lunch and they discussed differences. One impression that was changed was that BHA has "lots of non-hunting and fishing members", and was "anti hunting". BHA's members are 100% hunters and fisherman, and there is not a single issue BHA is involved with nationwide that can be construed as anti hunting.
    Now THAT is how you work with people.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool then to open one's mouth and remove all doubt....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Classy. Sit down and talk shop, better than the media weapon.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

One needs to remember that BHA's core is in the Western and Midwestern states where access for hunting/fishing is much more difficult as so much of the land is private ranches/farms. Those of you that have hunted pheasants in the Dakotas or deer in Montana have experienced the lack of opportunity without land owner permission. There are many non-hunting nature seekers that also want to protect access in wilderness areas and may align themselves with BHA for that purpose. Non-consumptive wildlife users are here to stay so let's try to benefit from their numbers.

Here in Alaska, the land owner is often the Feds or a Native Corporation and that creates a different access problem so our struggle has a little different tone.

Back in the 70s, Alaskans were clamoring for the new State to open all sorts of land for homesteading, farming or to sell land to raise funds for the empty coffers. Governor Jay Hammond tried to delay some of the requests and often said: "Private land ownership is the ultimate lockup".

For those that missed the Moose's Tooth gathering or live in Fairbanks....you won't want to miss this. The doors are most likely going to open at 6:30 rather than 6:00 as listed on the poster.

I saw this presentation in 2015 and it was a truly fascinating story.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    For those that missed the Moose's Tooth gathering or live in Fairbanks....you won't want to miss this. The doors are most likely going to open at 6:30 rather than 6:00 as listed on the poster.

I saw this presentation in 2015 and it was a truly fascinating story.
    So this is in Fairbanks? If so, will it repeat for those of us in Los Anchorage? Sounds like a great time!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    So this is in Fairbanks? If so, will it repeat for those of us in Los Anchorage? Sounds like a great time!

-Mike
    Yes, the Blue Loon in Fairbanks (more accurately, Ester). There isn't an Anchorage presentation this go around, but a S. Central event is something we'd love to do in the future.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Yes, the Blue Loon in Fairbanks (more accurately, Ester). There isn't an Anchorage presentation this go around, but a S. Central event is something we'd love to do in the future.
    So it looks like the "find" is something akin to them finding the "Ice Man" a few years back in the Alps? Do you know what time frame they've determined the man was from? I'll google it. Sure would be nice to see the presentation that's for sure.

Sorry I missed the meet n' greet here in Slodotna.....didn't hear anything about it around town. Maybe next time you could let them know on Eagle radio 105.3 if possible?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Interestingly enough... the hat in the photograph in the first link was made from woven plant materials.... and is still waterproof.

Our event in Fairbanks was a big success. I met several folks from the forum and while I certainly didn't get to meet everyone (I was pretty busy and there were a bunch of folks there!) I want to thank everyone who came out and supported our event, it was a really great night. This was our first larger venue event and we're already planning the next one and really hope to get one soon in Anchorage.

Thanks again,
    Mike Rogers
    Alaska Backcountry Hunters and Anglers