Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .375 Ruger compared to the .375 H&H

Default .375 Ruger compared to the .375 H&H

Does anyone have experience with the .375 Ruger and the .375H&H?

I'm looking at the Ruger Guide Gun in .375 Ruger. The claims are that it hits harder with a 20 inch barrel than the .375H&H does with a 24" barrel.

Thanks,
    Moose Chaser

Any claims of it hitting harder are strictly theoretical. They are both great rounds and anything hit with a round from either will die.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Chaser View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the .375 Ruger and the .375H&H?

I'm looking at the Ruger Guide Gun in .375 Ruger. The claims are that it hits harder with a 20 inch barrel than the .375H&H does with a 24" barrel.

Thanks,
    Moose Chaser
    I've had a couple of both...any difference in downrange performance is simply marketing. Both are very good rounds for anything that needs flattened.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I think it might be hard to load a 350 grain bullet in the ruger

If the .375 Ruger had been invented first we may not have the wonderful old .375 H&H. Killing critters will be the same with both. I think it is up to the user to decide on the rifle platform. If I was going to a .375 it would be the Ruger with 250 or 270 grain Barnes Triple Shocks.

Shot both, reloaded both, like both. I sold my H&H and went with the Ruger based on the rifle not the caliber. The original guide gun had all the features I wanted at a great price. So far I have not been disappointed. You really can't go wrong either way.

Saw both, held both, bought the h&h. An African guide told me they sell h&h everywhere in africa, not the ruger. Sports shops by me sell the h&h. Only one store, 65 miles away sell the ruger.

one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I had 2 375 H&H LH Rifles a Rem 700 and a Win 70 had several case failures in the long sloping H&H case, chambers were different and prob mixed brass. But did not trust them after that. Sold both and bought a LH SS Ruger in 375 Ruger love it do not miss the H&H at all. But must admit felt
    recoil has a faster impulse to it? 375 H&H seemed to be a slower impulse and easier to shoot. The 20" 375 Ruger about equals the 24" 375 H&H .
    Prefer the 375 Ruger case design also, the long sloping case feeds great but also is prone to stretching more.

Having considered the two and buying one of them, I'd say it simply comes down to which rifle you prefer and your access to ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    I had 2 375 H&H LH Rifles a Rem 700 and a Win 70 had several case failures in the long sloping H&H case, chambers were different and prob mixed brass. But did not trust them after that. Sold both and bought a LH SS Ruger in 375 Ruger love it do not miss the H&H at all. But must admit felt
    recoil has a faster impulse to it? 375 H&H seemed to be a slower impulse and easier to shoot. The 20" 375 Ruger about equals the 24" 375 H&H .
    Prefer the 375 Ruger case design also, the long sloping case feeds great but also is prone to stretching more.
    I also have the caliber in both the rifles you mentioned. I've shot and reloaded for them a lot. I have never had the case problem you mentioned. How many times had you reloaded the cases you mentioned?

If you reload, then it is a toss-up on performance. Even if you don't reload, the differences in velocity and accuracy mean nothing. There are WAY more HH rifles out there and way more HH factory ammo available. Hornady makes fine ammo for the Ruger, so if you are in to spending a bunch of money up front, you can get decent ammo easy enough then stock pile it. The cost is about the same as the HH ammo, just not as many loadings. I am partial the the Ruger, only because it has been such a great performer for me. Accurate, easy to reload and a dependable easy to carry rifle. The Ruger guns are great with a little smithing for the trigger and maybe a larger bolt handle.

I am really liking the 250 TTSX. I shot the 270 TSX as well, but like the recoil and trajectory better with the smaller bullet choice. All the moose, bears and pigs shot with the 250 TTSX died quite handily with very large holes in them.

I have the Ruger Guide Gun in 375 and really like it, make sure you get the stainless not the one with the black finish. It's just chrome moly steel under the paint, buddy of mine had his bolt rust shut on his. The compact size and overall toughness of the rifle is awesome, I've had mine full of sand on float hunts, just unload it swish it in the river by the sling a few times, pour the water out of the barrel and good to go. It's very effective on big bears as well.

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice. Basically, it appears that there's not a whole lot of real world performance difference between the .375 H&H and the .375 Ruger; which means that I shouldn't be concerned with the 20" barrel length on the Ruger Guide Gun. Would this carry through with shots up to 200 yards, (my self imposed limit)?

One other thought I have is that I currently have a .300 WSM and a .338 WM. Perhaps I should consider the .416 Ruger for my Alaska (3) rifle battery.

Any thoughts on the .416? I'd forgotten to mention previously that I don't handload.

Thanks,

Moose Chaser

. Would this carry through with shots up to 200 yards, (my self imposed limit)?

One other thought I have is that I currently have a .300 WSM and a .338 WM. Perhaps I should consider the .416 Ruger for my Alaska (3) rifle battery.

Any thoughts on the .416?
    r
    Moose Chaser,
    A .375 carries the freight to well past 200yds... no worries there. You can step down to a 260gr AB and is shoots flatter than you'd ever believe.

No need to bump up to the .416 unless you just want to (I have owned a Rigby).... but, there is just nothing in N. America you need to slap around with a rifle that big. You can if you want, but the .375 is hard enough to shoot well as it is. I love the .416, but they're really just not needed for anything running around here. The guy I bought the Rigby off of had taken two brown bears with it and shot one "nose to tail" and one "tail to nose"...complete lengthwise penetration. Both bears were over 8.5'. Nice to have, but it's an elephant rifle- I'd rather shoot something with more reach.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice. Basically, it appears that there's not a whole lot of real world performance difference between the .375 H&H and the .375 Ruger; which means that I shouldn't be concerned with the 20" barrel length on the Ruger Guide Gun. Would this carry through with shots up to 200 yards, (my self imposed limit)?

Any thoughts on the .416? I'd forgotten to mention previously that I don't handload.

Thanks,

Moose Chaser
    I hear a 416 makes Jake's butt look big

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Thanks,

Moose Chaser
    Yes the 375 will shoot very nearly as flat as your 338. Now, before seeing that you had a 338, I had typed:

I had also considered the 416 ruger but going from 375 bullets to 416 bullets, then the trajectories and velocities really start to diminish without (what I considered) a comparable increase in shorter range performance. So in my mind, a 375 achieves a nice balance for whatever may come up during a moose hunt. Perhaps it's a 300 yard shot or nothing situation, or perfect for a brown bear opportunity. I think if one would be better off with a 416 over a 375, then they may as well go up to a 458.

Now, it could be argued that a 375 wouldn't really do anything significantly better than your 338wm. You can get a 300 grain and tough 250 grain 338 bullets. So honestly, I would recommend not settling on a 375 just yet. For whatever purpose you feel your 338 doesn't quite satisfy you, I have a feeling you'd like something larger than 375.

When I left the 338 as my go to guide gun I poured over ballistics, reports, costs, numbers, guns whatever I could find. And after all that I realized a 375 wasn't a big enough step up to justify. The 416 on the other was. I've made shots well over 300 yards with great effect, taken deer out to 420 yards and pushed bears brains out the back of their skull at less than 2 feet.
    Aside from the disproportionate effect
    It creates on my butt it's an amazing round. I'm currently running 300gr triple shocks outa my 416 ruger at 2600fps with a 20" barrel...I don't see anything to change there....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    I also have the caliber in both the rifles you mentioned. I've shot and reloaded for them a lot. I have never had the case problem you mentioned. How many times had you reloaded the cases you mentioned?
    Bought my first 375 H&H around 84 sold both 375 H&H about 2008 so they had probably been fired quite a few times. Long sloping cases like the
    H&H will always stretch more than the 375 Ruger case.

Best to pretend there is no belt and size the brass to the chamber. I just prefer the 375 Ruger case design over the H&H case. I tried to keep the cases segregate to each rifle as chamber length was different.

As the 375 is my brown bear rifle I have more confidence in the Ruger brass.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    pushed bears brains out the back of their skull at less than 2 feet..
    Not to hijack the thread, but I would love to hear that story.

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    When I left the 338 as my go to guide gun I poured over ballistics, reports, costs, numbers, guns whatever I could find. And after all that I realized a 375 wasn't a big enough step up to justify. The 416 on the other was. I've made shots well over 300 yards with great effect, taken deer out to 420 yards and pushed bears brains out the back of their skull at less than 2 feet.
    Aside from the disproportionate effect
    It creates on my butt it's an amazing round. I'm currently running 300gr triple shocks outa my 416 ruger at 2600fps with a 20" barrel...I don't see anything to change there....
    Thanks for the response. Just for clarification you're talking about the .416 Ruger; correct? I assume the 300 gr triple shocks are a handload?
    As I don't handload, I'd be limited to the 400gr Hornady loads. They're listed at 2,400 fps with a 24" barrel. Assuming ~ 120 fps less with the 20" barrel of the Ruger Guide Gun, I'd be at 2,180 fps. Do you have any experience with this load?

Moose Chaser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast