Thread: Boots: Hunting Vs Hiking

Default Boots: Hunting Vs Hiking

Looking to get a new pair of non rubber hunting boots. I've seen where a lot of people are going away from hunting/mountaineering boots to hiking boots. Perfect example is the Lowa GTX Renegade. I was looking at these at a local store.
    I hunt SE Alaska, the Juneau area, but am looking to go on a Caribou hunt in Adak and next year I'm planning on going down to Etolin Island to get a Elk. So I need a good boot for hiking the alpine and hills, but not necessarily a boot for Mt Goat and Dall Sheep hunting.
    What are your thoughts on the Lowa Renegade? Is the hiking boot a good option for hunting? What about carrying out a quartered out Caribou/Elk/Moose? Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Leryt View Post
    Looking to get a new pair of non rubber hunting boots. I've seen where a lot of people are going away from hunting/mountaineering boots to hiking boots. Perfect example is the Lowa GTX Renegade. I was looking at these at a local store.
    I hunt SE Alaska, the Juneau area, but am looking to go on a Caribou hunt in Adak and next year I'm planning on going down to Etolin Island to get a Elk. So I need a good boot for hiking the alpine and hills, but not necessarily a boot for Mt Goat and Dall Sheep hunting.
    What are your thoughts on the Lowa Renegade? Is the hiking boot a good option for hunting? What about carrying out a quartered out Caribou/Elk/Moose? Thanks guys!
    If carrying heavy weight on uneven terrain (i.e. elk quarter on etolin) I would opt for something that goes a little higher up the ankle, like Lowa Tibet (even the normal Tibet is higher than the taller Renegade - please tell me you're not thinking about the "outdoor slipper" that is the lowtop Renegade!).

I've been using the normal style Tibet's (not Tibet HI) for a about a year and a half now and I really like them. Previously I had some similar height Scarpa Jorasess Pro GTX and they worked great for Goat and Sheep, and worked especially well during Alpine hunts around SEAK for deer. Side hilling through the alpine was a piece of cake, even in Sept. when things start dying and the hills get slippery. Had the insulation not compressed to the point that my feet were sliding around inside and blistering I would still be wearing them.

Lowa has different boot categories, and the Renegade is in the 'hiking boot' category. Don't really know if 'hunting' boots are more sturdy or not but I would imagine they are held to higher standards or designed for higher impact. Mine certainly feel solid. Maybe something else to consider when choosing options for hunting.

I'm looking at least a 6" boot. HAHAHA, yeah not grabbing the low tops looking for 6"-8" preferably. I'm not opposed to 10" but wanted the 6"-8" is what I want. I really like the look of the Tibet and have been looking at the Camino GTX and Ranger GTX as well.
    I called Lowa and they said their hunting boots are their trekking and backpacking boots. They have more support in the bottom, less flex, and thicker more substantial walls; the Tibets more so then the Caminos, which have more then the Renegades.
    I was also looking at the Vasque St Elias Hiking boot.