Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Moderating the forum, or not...

  1. #1
    Member Erik in AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,008

    Default Moderating the forum, or not...

    Mike, Brian et al.,

    Time to let the spurs jingle and jangle. Knowhattamean? By the way this is in the Hunting section because, well, you know...

    So I read about the unfortunate mauling up by Claude's and I thought to myself about the possible circumstances--spit-balling if you will, without drawing any conclusions since I'm not privy to all the facts. I was trying and think through the most likely sequence since I too spend time in bear country and this could happen to anyone.

    Here's what I came up with:
    Likelihood #1 Hunter shoots bear. Bear retreats to cover. Hunter pursues. Bear jets jump on hunter. Hunter is rescued by partners. Bear dies of wounds and is recovered later.

    Likelihood #2 Hunter stalks bear into cover. Bear gets jump on hunter. Hunter shoots charging bear. Hunter is rescued by partners. Bear dies of wounds and is recovered later.

    Of course it could have happened any number of ways but I'm an Occam's Razor sort of guy--the simplest answer is usually closest to the truth.

    Anyway, my point is while I was in spit balling mode I said to myself, "Self, bet me some d o u c h e b a g (if you put spaces in between the letters you can post any word you d a m n well want to) will make a Mother May I giant assumption and accuse this poor guy of some ethical or legal violation."

    And it happened. Because it always happens, because you guys don't swing that Mod hammer often or hard enough. (and you continue to allow threads that belong in one of the other 7,000 sub-forums)

    So, to bring this ramble on in to the barn I'd like to suggest that if it's not in the rules already you add the following:
    IF YOU ACCUSE SOMEONE OF WRONG DOING WITHOUT PROOF YOU WILL BE SUSPENDED FOR 30 DAYS. SUBSEQUENT VIOLATIONS WILL RESULT IN BEING BANNED PERMANENTLY.

    (And take d a m n off the word filter)

    And if you want to suspend me for being a pain in the a s s, I understand.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,392

    Default

    Noted. On my phone, so a longer reply will have to wait. As always, thanks for the input.

  3. #3
    Member akiceman25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    Are you guys accepting applications for new volunteer moderators? Ya just might send one to Erik in AK...
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

  4. #4
    Member BIGAKSTUFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Its been a loooooooooong d a m n winter apparently!
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

  5. #5
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Excellent points, Erik! If the mod hammer doesn't start swinging harder, I'm outta here. And on your points about your speculation on how the bear incident happened, none of the notes/guesses you made are even close, which illustrates why people shouldn't try to "put together a crime scene" without any evidence or story to go along with it.

    As they say, when you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME.

    Thanks again, and I truly hope we get some order in here.

    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  6. #6
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post

    Thanks again, and I truly hope we get some order in here.

    Claude
    Good luck with that...!!! It's the internet and it pulls all kinds out of the woodwork........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  7. #7
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,392

    Default

    Erik and Claude,

    I'm always happy to accept suggestions and criticisms on how things are run here. Have never claimed perfection, and I know that some things fall through the cracks. It may sound like a lame excuse, but that's why we in part rely on people using the report post feature. We do pay attention to those and review every post that is reported. We don't, however, catch every post that needs moderation on our own.

    What you sometimes don't see is the moderation that happens before you take a look at a thread. In one thread yesterday regarding Denali bears, I deleted a couple posts within three minutes of it being posted. Don't assume that no moderation is occurring. If you feel that more moderation is warranted, talk to me. I think you know me well enough to know that I value your point of view and won't blow you off. Not sure why you felt the need to call me out publicly instead of just sending me a note through here, Facebook, or over a beer, but that's fine - just seems an odd approach when we've shared a drink more than a few times.

    Off to influence the next generation of young Alaskans, but I'll check back in later. And if you want to share a drink sometime, you know where to find me.

  8. #8
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Wasn't calling you out Brian! I have had face to face discussions with you regarding this. Sent you lots of notes too. I know you have a lot going on, but when ones personal integrity is always being questioned by every post you make, it drives people away.

    For instance... a friend shoots a bear. Posts a pictures. Immediately accused of illegal activity. This is not just one post or picture... this is nearly all of them... someone will question something about the legality of every statement or picture.

    I post information about spring bears and Denali Highway... I promote responsible harvest of bears... now I'm accused of promoting the extermination of the species and breaking laws...

    These are not isolated... they are all the time.

    Anyhow, I know your working on it, Brian, and doing the good fight. I'd just like to see a bigger hammer used before the site starts taking serious damage with people leaving to other social media.

    Heading to town now... Anchorage, Soldotna, here I come!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  9. #9
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,392

    Default

    Fair enough, Claude. For what it's worth, we deleted the accusation about the illegal pursuit of that bear and I pruned some of the discussion about extermination of bears. We can't stop people from being obnoxious, but perhaps sometimes we need to act a bit more firmly.

    I know you've got a busy schedule, but if you want to grab a beer when you pass through eagle River, let me know.

  10. #10
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    For instance... a friend shoots a bear. Posts a pictures. Immediately accused of illegal activity. This is not just one post or picture... this is nearly all of them... someone will question something about the legality of every statement or picture.

    These are not isolated... they are all the time.

    I'd just like to see a bigger hammer used before the site starts taking serious damage with people leaving to other social media.
    Although I don't have a particular dog in this hunt... I do agree with what Claude is saying. The number of actual stories from the field (hunt reports if you will) has dropped to a fraction of what it was- mostly due to having to defend your actions to everybody with a hot internet connection.

    I don't share many photos or any detailed stories for that very reason anymore and several friends have taken the same approach. Life is hard enough without poking yourself in the eye. It's a pity, because reading hunt reports is one of the things I love about this site.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  11. #11
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,392

    Default

    I see where you fellas are coming from. Maybe a new rule that any critical comments or questions need be posed only via private message? I could get behind that.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I see where you fellas are coming from. Maybe a new rule that any critical comments or questions need be posed only via private message? I could get behind that.
    It is the sad state of the internet anymore and why I don't bother either, just look at any news site and the vitriol is amazing. Same here at the fishing forum, try to post a picture of rainbow trout kept for eating (for example) and you get every pointy head accusing you of killing the resource. Maybe it's for the best, too much information has unfortunately resulted in overburden on the resource in certain cased for sure.

  13. #13
    Member Johnny Bruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Anchor Town
    Posts
    118

    Default

    I rarely post on this forum. No real reason. I usually tune in (which is really not that often) because i like to read about what others are hearing or seeing out there. Occasionally pick up a few good pointers or information, and just hear what others who share the same passion for the outdoors as i do, have to say about certain issues. This has really left a bad taste with me though. I doubt anyone cares. That's quite alright. I don't expect them to. I just want to say this though...

    denailhunter - I NEVER accused YOU of anything. Not once. I simply was elaborating on my earlier comment about agreeing with the previous poster that you should watch what you say, because certain comments can be misconstrued. I went into detail about why i felt that way. Perhaps i got on a bit of a soapbox, but that wasn't my intent. I recognized that my post was going in that direction so i ended it and purposely stated "my intent is not to derail this thread". Never accused you or anyone specific about any wrong doing. All i was saying is that i know there are unethical hunters out there. The violations i wrote about are things that i have personally seen or heard about from people that i know and trust.

    I must have struck a nerve with you somewhere in there though. Obviously. Did you really READ my post, or did you just see something in there that you didn't like and fly off the handle? Perhaps you ASSUMED that i was accusing you of promoting bear slaughter. Whats the saying? You know it. You just used it in a post. Then my favorite part, immediately resort to name calling. Ha! I got a kick out of that though. No, i didn't report the post because my little feelers were hurt or ask Brian to "drop the hammer". I laughed it off. We're all men here, right? That just gave me a little more understanding of who might be on the other end of the keyboard. You might wanna think about that in the future. "I don't really know this person, so maybe i should be respectful and ask them to elaborate on their comments, and get a full of understanding of what they're trying to say before i start throwing out insults." Just an idea.

    You take care though. Best of luck to you this season! I mean that. Maybe i'll stop by next time i'm in your area, and we can have a glass of suds and laugh this off.


    Brian - You and i know that the comment you deleted regarding "extermination of bears" was mine. Was it obnoxious? meh... may be a little. Was it childish? Sure...It was funny though. At least i thought so. I did it to lighten the mood after i saw how upset Claude had become (for no real reason). It was purely meant as a joke. I believe you recognized that. No profanity. No name calling. You felt the need to remove it though, fine. I understand you have a job to do. You've always been courteous and helpful to me during our limited interaction.

    So post(s) made by one of your "premium members" that is clearly name calling and bashing another one of your readers gets to remain? Does it even get flagged? It's OK though. I actually found it kind of amusing and entertaining. I just want to make sure there is no double standard going on here. I hope you don't take this the wrong way Brian. I don't think you will. You seem to be a pretty solid cat.

    Some of you guys need to LIGHTEN UP!!

    That is all

  14. #14
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,392

    Default

    No intended double standard, sir. Trite as it may sound, mostly was just trying to keep the peace. If there is something you think needs to be reviewed, hit the "report post" and we'll get to it. 90% of the moderation I do is based on a quick scan of a few threads, and sometimes that means certain posts get nixed while others stay behind. Imperfect though it may be, we're just trying to keep this place generally welcoming and friendly. Most of the time I think we're pretty successful at that, sometimes not. Feedback is always welcome. Secret sheep spots are also welcome, as are large donations of unmarked bills and growlers of quality beer.

  15. #15
    Member Johnny Bruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Anchor Town
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Brain - I have no doubt you deleted the comment because you saw the downward spiral forming. I understand. As far as reporting a post, I can see very few instances where i would do so. We're all big boys, aren't we? We should be able to hash most things out between one another. That's just my stance on the matter, i realize others differ with that point of view, and I can respect that for reasons to "keep the peace".

    I agree that you guys do a good job at keeping this site welcoming and friendly. Nothing wrong with having a little competitive banter going on once in a while though. That being said, i realize that some are a little more sensitive than others, and we need to be cognizant of that..... Again, all of this just my personal opinion.

    Hopefully we'll be in touch, and possibly cross paths and enjoy one of those quality beers you speak of!

    I appreciate the reply.

    Keep it light Gentlemen!

  16. #16
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    but when ones personal integrity is always being questioned by every post you make, it drives people away.

    I post information about spring bears and Denali Highway... I promote responsible harvest of bears... now I'm accused of promoting the extermination of the species and breaking laws...

    These are not isolated... they are all the time.
    Your reputation on this forum, Claude, as well as anyone elses is not made by statements or questions from others. It is made from your own statements and pictures on posts you make. I certainly don't think you, or anyone elses "personal integrity" comes in to question because another member sees or reads something they don't like. I can look at pictures, read posts and make my own decisions on if something is out of order. I suspect most of our members are that way.

    Too many of us take this forum WAY too seriously. In reality, there are not that many people reading these forums. I encounter very few that I know participate here.
    From what I hear, law enforcement watches this forum, and others, regularly. I would be far more worried about posting a pic or statement that brings questions from an LEO than I would be about my "integrity" being questioned!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  17. #17
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    All very excellent posts and I would enjoy a beer with any of you on here.

    I know dozens and dozens of people on here that will not post pictures and hunt reports because of the questioning and bashing that happens. I think that is really bad for the forum.

    I would like to see a thread that is just for hunt reports, with ZERO tolerance for questioning anything on the hunt report. Anything negative should be deleted right away.

    Also, if I start a thread, I should have the option of deleting any posts on MY thread that I deem inappropriate or not related, or maybe I just don't like. The thread starter should have that option, and MAYBE, just maybe, we can take care of it that way. This would give us ownership over our own threads, and I think everyone would enjoy that option.

    That's my .02. Never hard feelings (for more than five minutes)!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  18. #18
    Member akiceman25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Also, if I start a thread, I should have the option of deleting any posts on MY thread that I deem inappropriate or not related, or maybe I just don't like. The thread starter should have that option, and MAYBE, just maybe, we can take care of it that way. This would give us ownership over our own threads, and I think everyone would enjoy that option.
    I 2nd that! Excellent suggestion!!! Everyone enjoys a PIC HEAVY thread... maybe this suggestion would allow threads to get back to PIC HEAVY.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

  19. #19
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    ...and I think everyone would enjoy that option.
    Pros and cons. There are plenty of blogs on the web where people post photos and tell stories...and delete anyone who dare raise a question. Frankly, such postings strike me as narcissistic, and boring.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  20. #20
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Pros and cons. There are plenty of blogs on the web where people post photos and tell stories...and delete anyone who dare raise a question. Frankly, such postings strike me as narcissistic, and boring.
    Roger that....this site is way more civil than some, but it's becoming a bit of an echo chamber....seems like most of the interesting guys (and basically all the chicks), the ones who love to stir the pot, are all long gone.....*yawn*......guess I'll go to bed....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •