Thread: Heather's Choice

Default Heather's Choice

I've been hearing about Heather's Choice meals for a while on the Gritty Bowmen podcast, and am thinking about giving it a shot this year. I looked at her ingredients and it looks like her food is really top notch, loaded with much more protein, fat (the good kind), and other nutrients that are important on back country trips, and not loaded with a weeks worth of sodium per meal like Mountain House.

But, that's all fine and good, but I'm wondering if anybody has tried them and can comment on flavor, and do you think it's worth $15 per meal? Honestly I don't mind paying that much for a quality product. Especially with food, you get what you pay for. Are they like the hawk vittles meals where it didn't matter how long you tried to re-hydrate them, they always came out a little crunchy?

I'm also all about supporting a fellow Alaskan, so that's another big plus with Heather's Choice for me.

Thanks for any feedback
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I backed her Kick Starter this winter. Her food is that good that I dumped lots of money into her business. However, the buckwheat breakfasts don't work well in my belly, which is fine as I am not a cereal eater and gave up oatmeal a decade ago.

Since these are dehydrated and not freeze dried they will always have some crunch to them, but rehydrate enough to be easy to eat. I've never had Hawk vittles, but my own DIY dehydrated meals always have some crunch to them. Mostly the meat, as the dried veg always seems to take up water well. In 2013 I did the math on my own meals and came to about $20 each if I paid myself $10 per hour. So Heather's meals are not a deal breaker, but I will still be making my own sweet potato breakfast bark.

I am not a fan of chowders as the meat gets too mushy for my palate. I have had some that were just shy of being tile pizza left over from a bad Saturday night. However, Heather's version of salmon chowder is shockingly good. The little bits of meat do not fully rehydrate and stay kind of crunchy but do soften. Its one of the best meals I've ever had out of a bag. Lick the bag clean kind of good.

The Rancheros and Elk Shepherds pie are decent meals as well.

Thanks Ray, I guess I'll have to try them out. The dark chocolate chili sounds really good, as well as the spaghetti. Hawk vittles were good, but really crunchy no matter how long you let them soak. I guess it's just the price of dehydrated food vs freeze dried.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I saw her on TV and I think she has a good idea and wish her the best in her business adventure. I was wondering about the salmon chowder and I am glad to hear it is good.