Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fatal Crash in Birchwood

Default Fatal Crash in Birchwood

4 fatalities this morning close to Birchwood airport. Sorry to hear about this.

http://www.adn.com/article/20160420/...h-near-chugiak

Condolences....that sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 reported dead in plane crash near Chugiak

Alaska Dispatch NewsApril 20, 2016

Four people are dead in an aircraft crash near Chugiak Wednesday morning, according to Anchorage firefighters.
    Anchorage Fire Department Chief Dennis LeBlanc said the crash, off Beach Lake Road, was reported shortly after 9 a.m. Wednesday. There were no survivors.
    “An aircraft was found fully engulfed in flames,” LeBlanc said. “There are four fatalities.”
    Virginia McMichael, with nine Chugiak Volunteer Fire and Rescue units at the scene, said the small plane had crashed some distance from the road. Firefighters were traveling to the crash site along trails in the area.
    “They do have to hike to it -- they’re not able to get any equipment than our ATVs in for this thing,” McMichael said.
    McMichael said the plane had ignited a brush fire, but crews were dealing with it.
    “The fire is contained,” McMichael said. “We were really concerned about it spreading into the wildland, with the dry (conditions).”
    Anchorage police asked people to avoid the scene as police, firefighters and the National Transportation Safety Board responded.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I wonder if the NTSB's reality TV producers, cameramen, and audio guys responded too? Frigging vultures.
    The winner isn't the person with the most gold when they die, but rather, the person with the most stories.

Well said.

Moose stall? 172 near max doing low level turns.
    http://www.adn.com/article/20160427/...rash-ntsb-says

Another poorly written aviation article by the ADN. The altitudes listed and airspeed listed do not tend to support the moose hunter stall scenario. Additionally, a stall and spin into the ground do not spread the wreckage for 500 feet. Usually for not even 50 feet. Plus what ever happened to the initial witness report of the engine failing before the crash? I think it is too soon to come up with a solid theory.

Agree, just speculations at this point. Low level survey and clip a tree? Moose stall? Mechanical ? All spec right now. Only thing for sure is a sad outcome for all and their families. Our thoughts are with them.

That stinks.... But it sure puts a cork in the previous poorly written headlines.

Bald eagles do not yield to airplanes. Not sure why they don't. Walking along a remote beach with a bald eagle perched in a snag a few hundred feet down the beach results in the eagle taking flight long before getting abeam the bird. Fly by the same bird in a beaver, level with the bird and fairly close (100 feet), and the bird will sit there and watch you go by. Same thing high in the air. They do not get out of the way. I hit one once in a Supercub at about 1500 agl. It burst a hole in the right wing next to the fuselage and resulted in an almost uncontrollable condition with the empennage fluttering violently and the airplane trying to roll to the right. I was able to land off the north tip of Montague Island on the edge of Hinchenbrook entrance and taxied for an hour or more around the west edge of the island to a safe harbor where I spent the night on anchor. Watch out for eagles...they don't give way.

I don't really think there is anything flying in nature that is a threat to the eagle...so its natural predilection is to consider itself the king of the air.

They certainly behave like it.

Extra attention to eagles...they make me nervous in a way no other bird does...
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Eagles are a beautiful bird, but I have met a lot of people that are not fond of them. Especially when they go after the loons on the lake near home. Rather have the loons than the eagles.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Just a big buzzard. They used to kill our ducks, turkeys and chickens. The eagles around Homer were over fed and over populated back when they were being fed on the spit. You need to be careful about telling anyone you hit one, since it is supposed to involve some sort of special federal reporting form. I would never admit to smacking any on a public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Just a big buzzard. They used to kill our ducks, turkeys and chickens. The eagles around Homer were over fed and over populated back when they were being fed on the spit. You need to be careful about telling anyone you hit one, since it is supposed to involve some sort of special federal reporting form. I would never admit to smacking any on a public forum.
    I read several years ago that the amount of Eagles on the spit in Homer due to the lady feeding them, caused the snow geese to migrate up the other side of the Inlet to avoid to air assaults by the hordes of eagles. I do know the number of snow geese we used to see on the Kenai River flats every spring went way down.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I'm not too concerned about my public disclosure. Happened in 1982. Happened so fast that I don't even know for sure that it was an eagle. Might have been a goose. In any event no evidence remains and I can't find any federal or other government reporting requirements for accidentally having a midair with an eagle.

The Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act (16 U.S.C. 668-668c) ( this depends on how the reviewing fed feels that day. If they don't like you or aircraft in general, you will have to prove you were not flying in a reckless manner. There are a lot of yahoos working for the feds that love Eagles a lot more than they like you. )

Wildlife strike report form FAA Form 5200-7 (EFAA Form 5200-7 (EFAA Form 5200-7 (Electronic)) This is now voluntary.... However if your damage goes beyond a certain point, than you are legally required to fill out the FAA accident/incident forms, which will lead to this form.

4 human lives lost and many more changed as a result. I couldn't care less about the bird.

Do they know where the eagle impacted the aircraft...........???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast