Thread: How swift is the Yukon River?

Default How swift is the Yukon River?

Does anyone know the speed of the yukon river between the haul road and Fort Yukon? I need a rough idea on the river speed in order to calculate the amount of fuel I need to carry

Lots of good information here.

http://ak.water.usgs.gov/Publication...rir99.4204.pdf

It's a shorter boat ride from Circle to Ft. Yukon. If you're doing it for the scenery and stopping points along the way, and of course going up river so you can float back to the truck if something bad happens, I smell what you're stepping in.

in that part of the river it is smooth , it is about 130 miles as the crow flies straight line, turns a lot up river from the hall road
    SID

I took a look at the PDF linked to. So far I have not discovered any reference to mph but only volumes. My destination is actually down river from Fort Yukon far enough that it ends up being about equal distance in river miles going either way. So, as you guessed, it is always easier to drift back down rather than trying to get back up river if doo doo happens. If my wife and I make the same trip next year we might go the other way next time.

Our destination is about 150 river miles, which is actually a bit short of Ft Yukon. So yeah the river has a lot of twists and turns

I did a Google search, that PDF seemed the most credible, but I didn't look into it very deep. Other results I'm finding on Google, that include results from this forum, show that's it's in the neighborhood of 6 to 8 miles an hour average in the area. I've only gone up from the Dalton once, that current estimate sounds right from what I encountered. There are villages to stop at on the way, I don't know which of them have fuel for sale though.

Thanks aknative. I have done several google searches in the past on this subject and didn't come up with much. Sounds like what you found corresponds with what someone told me over on the power boat forum. Looks like from 6-8 mph is in the ball park then. I have no problem taking enough fuel with me so I won't need to buy any along the way. Not much available to buy along the route any more from what I am told. I just needed to know how much is enough. I will burn about a gallon an hour and should be able to make at least 10 miles an hour against the current. I figure I will burn aprox 15 gallons getting there and about 6 gallons coming back. That is 21 gallons Figure I will take about 35-45 gallons to give me some running around fuel once I get there as well as plenty of extra left over for "what if's". Thanks again.

My GPS showed 7-8 mph when we were on the river between Eagle and Circle.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain joe View Post
    Does anyone know the speed of the yukon river between the haul road and Fort Yukon? I need a rough idea on the river speed in order to calculate the amount of fuel I need to carry
    If I am not mistaken the mph rate is between 6-8ish. Not sure about that far upriver, but where I was at, it was 7-8 mph.

From FT Yukon up to Circle is in the same range. I would just figure on 8 mph and build in a little fudge factor there too. Sounds like fun, the best to you.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like 6-8 is in the ball park. That is close enough.

also going up you could cut to the inside [ slower water] an that will help, an going down ? pick out a little faster water
    every bit counts , you never told us what kind of rig you are going to use for this trip SID