Thread: Self Bailing Valve for Iflatable Sport Boat?

Default Self Bailing Valve for Iflatable Sport Boat?

Hi, I don't post much but read lots..I have an 15.5 ft jp marine inflatable sport boat with a 60/40 mercury jet. I recently replaced the factory plastic flap bailing valve with a ping pong ball style valve hoping for better performance and it is much worse..when on plane it works fine but if you are idling or stationary and a wave hits the transom from behind the boat starts to fill with water.

I love the boat, it works great for the poor performance of the valve..can any body recoomend a good product? Thanks

I have a 17' Alaska Series 520AR with a 40 HP Mercury. I have the same problem. Been thinking of Jerry rigging a spring loaded flap like the ones in a toilet tank to the outsize of the transom

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd like to know why you replaced the factory valve?
    I just bought the same exact boat and would like to know of potential problems. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    Hi, I don't post much but read lots..I have an 15.5 ft jp marine inflatable sport boat with a 60/40 mercury jet. I recently replaced the factory plastic flap bailing valve with a ping pong ball style valve hoping for better performance and it is much worse..when on plane it works fine but if you are idling or stationary and a wave hits the transom from behind the boat starts to fill with water.

I love the boat, it works great for the poor performance of the valve..can any body recoomend a good product? Thanks

[QUOTE=ftaba1;1536972]I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd like to know why you replaced the factory valve?
    I just bought the same exact boat and would like to know of potential problems. Thanks.[/QUOTE

I found that even with the sliding gate the jp marine boats have close water would still come in, I tried cleaning to make sure there was no debris left in it that was holding it open but it didn't help. I would stop at a beach for a few hours with just the stern in the water and come back to the back full of water.

It doesn't cause any serious problems as long as you can get on plane because then the water all drains out once on plane. If you are in shallow water and need to pop up quick it slows you down and if you are overloaded with gear 10 gallons of water may make the difference in getting up or not.

I think my solution will be not to replace the scupper valve but to try and make the sliding gate work as a water tight shut off or remove it and use a plug of some sort. I was hoping somebody had a product or easy solution so I could spend less time working on the boat and more time out in it

Why don't you just plug it when sitting still? Looking at your picture, you look a bit overloaded anyways. I had to do a bit of research on the jp marine. It looks like they only have one self bailing valve similar style to an achilles. I would bet money you don't have adequate water pressure to keep the ball style closed correctly. Any small amount of rope, hair, fish bits, or dirt, can and will allow water to backflow. Usually this is at a very slow rate. They should be wiped down and cleaned after every trip. My guess overall though is that with just the stern in the water, you don't have enough pressure to push it shut. With waves even slightly hitting the transom and as the water goes back out, water will get in the valve. Just put the plug in when you beach it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    Why don't you just plug it when sitting still? Looking at your picture, you look a bit overloaded anyways. I had to do a bit of research on the jp marine. It looks like they only have one self bailing valve similar style to an achilles. I would bet money you don't have adequate water pressure to keep the ball style closed correctly. Any small amount of rope, hair, fish bits, or dirt, can and will allow water to backflow. Usually this is at a very slow rate. They should be wiped down and cleaned after every trip. My guess overall though is that with just the stern in the water, you don't have enough pressure to push it shut. With waves even slightly hitting the transom and as the water goes back out, water will get in the valve. Just put the plug in when you beach it.
    Yeah I think thats the best plan..