Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Freezer burnt salmon.....FREE

Default Freezer burnt salmon.....FREE

Seeing ads on CL and FB already. People cleaning out their freezers. Sure wish they would only take what they will use. Oh, and properly care for that which they take.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Yeah, because all the salmon would still be alive if not.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post

No, but they would have likely either spawned or been caught by someone else.

Nothing wrong with encouraging people to not take more than they need.

Their offspring may have been....

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post

But they just had to get their dipnet limit! That way their family wouldn't starve!
    I understand red salmon are not in jeopardy at this time but that doesn't make it right.
    Wouldn't we be upset if it was Kenai river King salmon they were giving away as freezer burnt?
    Or Moose/Sheep/Caribou meat?
    It took me one season of dipnetting to realize I don't need my full limit.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Have any of you fellas ever worked in foodservice/restaraunt/catering? I have....it would not surprise me in the least if a significant percentage of commercially harvested salmon ends up going in the dumpster, it's the nature of the business.....dipnetters can't begin to compete with the true wasters. But I guess it's OK as long as there's money involved?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Have any of you fellas ever worked in foodservice/restaraunt/catering? I have....it would not surprise me in the least if a significant percentage of commercially harvested salmon ends up going in the dumpster, it's the nature of the business.....dipnetters can't begin to compete with the true wasters. But I guess it's OK as long as there's money involved?
    While I would not be surprised about that being the case, most of that is, for the most part, out of our control. I don't subscribe to the idea that I should ignore what is within my control, however small of an impact it may be to the big picture, just because there is someone or something else that is worse. Just because someone else wastes far more salmon or other resource than I could ever touch doesn't mean I should be okay with wasting my small quantity.

Having said that, I do understand that things happen causing someone to need to throw out fish/meat. Sometimes people just overestimate a bit or something happens where they don't eat as much as they had expected to. It happens. Not the end of the world. There are others, though, who habitually take far more than they could ever come close to using and just plan to throw out the extra later or don't take the proper steps to preserve it so that it will last long enough to be used.

Someone else wasted some fish so it's OK for me to do the same?
    Someone else kept 20 over their limit so if I keep 10 it's not so bad and I'm not the real problem?
    That's what it sounds like you are saying!
    Commercial fish are legally caught, documented,and paid for. So what if someone doesn't eat all the fish hey bought at that point?
    Joe didn't eat all the fish dinner he bought so I should be allowed to dipnet more than I can/will eat and throw it away?
    I understand a fillet or two goes bad and is tossed. But some of these ads I have seen were or 25# or more.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Well, someone who takes the time to place an ad for free fish is not "throwing it away"....quite the opposite. They are recognizing a need that people have for dog food, compost/ fertilizer, etc....don't want salmon being used for these products? Protest commercial fishing, they supply the vast majority of these markets. Don't want to see salmon going in dumpsters? Protest "salmon bake" cruises, brunch buffets, and the commercial fishers who supply them. This thread is nothing more than gratuitous PU bashing....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Well, someone who takes the time to place an ad for free fish is not "throwing it away"....quite the opposite. They are recognizing a need that people have for dog food, compost/ fertilizer, etc....don't want salmon being used for these products? Protest commercial fishing, they supply the vast majority of these markets. Don't want to see salmon going in dumpsters? Protest "salmon bake" cruises, brunch buffets, and the commercial fishers who supply them. This thread is nothing more than gratuitous PU bashing....
    Seriously? I didn't read it as such, and I doubt many others did either. It's not about a PU vs. commercial pissing match (or at least it wasn't until it was brought up), it's about encouraging people to consider what they actually need before they harvest all they are allowed to.

I PU and sport fish, but I don't keep every fish that I possibly can. Some years I end up with a few too many (which I put into cans as summer approaches), and some years I might have a couple less than I'd like, but I do what I can to not take more than my family will use. How encouraging others to do the same can be construed as anti-PU is beyond me.

Well said Brian.[

QUOTE=Brian M;1536977]Seriously? I didn't read it as such, and I doubt many others did either. It's not about a PU vs. commercial pissing match (or at least it wasn't until it was brought up), it's about encouraging people to consider what they actually need before they harvest all they are allowed to.

I PU and sport fish, but I don't keep every fish that I possibly can. Some years I end up with a few too many (which I put into cans as summer approaches), and some years I might have a couple less than I'd like, but I do what I can to not take more than my family will use. How encouraging others to do the same can be construed as anti-PU is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

Brian, this thread is very pointedly aimed at dipnetters, so yes I take exception to that. I basically never limit out either, but I have no problem with someone who does, considering PU is a tiny fraction of total harvest. Families' size and nutritional needs fluctuate....calculating a year out isn't exactly brain surgery, but it's hardly an exact science. Zero respect for people that throw fish in the dumpster. Big respect for people that take the time to find it a good home....

Brian, this thread is very pointedly aimed at dipnetters, so yes I take exception to that. I basically never limit out either, but I have no problem with someone who does, considering PU is a tiny fraction of total harvest. Families' size and nutritional needs fluctuate....calculating a year out isn't exactly brain surgery, but it's hardly an exact science. Zero respect for people that throw fish in the dumpster. Big respect for people that take the time to find it a good home....
    Sorry. This thread was NOT aimed at dip netters. When an ad on CL says they have a WHOLE FREEZER FULL to get rid of, something is wrong. The ad didn't say the freezer broke down either. Likely the freezer owner suffered from the gold rush mentality that has folks taking way more than they can or will ever use. Doesn't matter how they got them. It's wanton waste imo.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Couldn't agree more Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Seriously? I didn't read it as such, and I doubt many others did either. It's not about a PU vs. commercial pissing match (or at least it wasn't until it was brought up), it's about encouraging people to consider what they actually need before they harvest all they are allowed to.

I PU and sport fish, but I don't keep every fish that I possibly can. Some years I end up with a few too many (which I put into cans as summer approaches), and some years I might have a couple less than I'd like, but I do what I can to not take more than my family will use. How encouraging others to do the same can be construed as anti-PU is beyond me.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Sorry. This thread was NOT aimed at dip netters. When an ad on CL says they have a WHOLE FREEZER FULL to get rid of, something is wrong. The ad didn't say the freezer broke down either. Likely the freezer owner suffered from the gold rush mentality that has folks taking way more than they can or will ever use. Doesn't matter how they got them. It's wanton waste imo.
    With all due respect, this thread was started in the dipnetting forum. Could you provide a link to the ad? The only thing I'm seeing is one for spoiled food due to freezer failure....
    Here it is: https://kenai.craigslist.org/zip/5489034349.html
    ....that's all I can find on c/l. The ad's over a month old and says nothing about PU salmon....

It's safe to assume the majority of fishermen vacuum seal Thier catch.? Why not go the extra mile to make it last twice as long? A layer or even two layers of freezer wrapping paper will protect that salmon and halibut for a long time. We double wrap ours. And it stays fresh and tasty for 2+ years. We do the same with game meat. Sucks to see people being so wasteful when they could've done a little more work and made it last longer.

The last couple years, come springtime we have been taking whatever is left of the previous seasons catch and smoking it, and sending that to family /friends outside as holiday gifts, we eat the hell outta it too
    Anyway, we haven't had any waste or leftover gems in the depths of the freezer.

Release Lake Trout

I've been guilty of taking more than I need. Some years we simply don't use as much as planned, and I have a house full of fish snobs who won't eat freezer burned fish - especially since we have a habit of catching fresh fish all winter...

I have never worked in the food service / restaurant industry, but I have sold fish to them and have been very impressed with their utilization of my premium product. Parts that I think nothing of throwing away are used and sold. I guess it all depends on the quality of the establishment. At the price of fresh Cook Inlet salmon and considering the hefty markup in fresh restaurant seafood, I'd bet most good business people try very hard not to waste something that valuable.

I know I do - I got tired of throwing out or giving away old fish, so I shelved the vacuum sealer and we started canning most of our homepack. It takes a lot more effort, but it keeps for years, and we end up eating more fish because it is quick, easy, and already cooked. We can a bunch of it plain, and smoke/can a bunch of it. We do 50-60 cases of fish every couple years. I eat grilled fillets all summer till I'm sick of them, then canned stuff till cabin fever kicks in and we go winter/spring fishing. I've found this method leaves more room in the freezer for Moose!

Its very unfortunate that fish go to waste of any kind trust me I've been hungry and wish I had it. Take as example 20 people ending up catching there daily limit not possession limit for sport fish at say willow creek. They do it for ten days in a row and now you have 600 mixed bag fish caught or 400 silvers. I'm pretty sure that's way low ball numbers being I fish that place like crazy and see way too many people day after day with there daily limit and of course many with holes in there backs! I catch and release more then 1500 or so salmon a year and close to the same on lake fish yet I only keep what I eat and make sure there healthy or i will keep instead of releasing and if i have enough for the year im done. I do not own a vac pack nor a smoker and don't have the stuff or knowledge to can but I do have plenty of buddies that got older parents in my case that have all along with the willingness to teach. Bottom line to me is its not dip netters nor sport that waste fish its all fairly equal its the person that creates the problem not activity. I have rarely ever fished salmon around a group of people and not seen many illegal things such as sport fish possession limits. Some think u can go throw them in your truck outs sight and go back for more. If you date your wild meats and rotate as a store does you might find you have to eat salmon 3 times a week instead of two. Guess what you have what alot of people want. EAT IT!!! There is no excuse. Ok you went for a week trip came home and your freezer went out call one of the dog mushers. I know of a group of people who set net but don't eat them they sell them on a pu permit and never report or document there catch untill they get caught and just take the ticket and let the next sibling go get the next ticket. In the end they make more each in a few months then I do breaking my back in a year. In my mind there is bigger issues that are underlying. Most of us on here have a great head on our shoulders so shouldn't pertain to you but one would be more active citizen policing from everyone. I have said to to many people that's a snagged fish or you had that fish out the water 5 mins for a picture with every one in your group you got to keep it and there it goes belly up down river and oddly enough most people stick up for the hoodlum. Dont be scared and protect our natural rights to sustainable food! Fur and feathers are too spares to even catch a fraction of abuse.

Waste is no good, if there are f&g folks who read this. I would encourage a 1 page, even a statement that is signed by all alaskans that state something the the effect of "our fishery is borrowed from our children, we have the responsibility to the future generations to active accordingly. If you had wasted fish from last year, please do not take more than you need and can responsibly consume this year. We owe it to the future generations to be respectful and mindful of our actions." Sure we wont reach all of them. But if we reach a few, is it worth it. Sure some may say budget deficet or whatever. Well how much would this really cost. Not sure if f&g has an offical presence here. But It would be nice, to have it and get some interaction. My read here is i see alot of responsible outdoor folks on this forum on even though ive never meet any of you, i have a high repsectf for alot of you. I would think im not alone in thinking id like to help, but want feed back from f&g as well. Otherwise i feel like im just squaking and not making progress. Tight lines n smile its almost that time again =)

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    Its very unfortunate that fish go to waste of any kind trust me I've been hungry and wish I had it. Take as example 20 people ending up catching there daily limit not possession limit for sport fish at say willow creek. They do it for ten days in a row and now you have 600 mixed bag fish caught or 400 silvers. I'm pretty sure that's way low ball numbers being I fish that place like crazy and see way too many people day after day with there daily limit and of course many with holes in there backs! I catch and release more then 1500 or so salmon a year and close to the same on lake fish yet I only keep what I eat and make sure there healthy or i will keep instead of releasing and if i have enough for the year im done. I do not own a vac pack nor a smoker and don't have the stuff or knowledge to can but I do have plenty of buddies that got older parents in my case that have all along with the willingness to teach. Bottom line to me is its not dip netters nor sport that waste fish its all fairly equal its the person that creates the problem not activity. I have rarely ever fished salmon around a group of people and not seen many illegal things such as sport fish possession limits. Some think u can go throw them in your truck outs sight and go back for more. If you date your wild meats and rotate as a store does you might find you have to eat salmon 3 times a week instead of two. Guess what you have what alot of people want. EAT IT!!! There is no excuse. Ok you went for a week trip came home and your freezer went out call one of the dog mushers. I know of a group of people who set net but don't eat them they sell them on a pu permit and never report or document there catch untill they get caught and just take the ticket and let the next sibling go get the next ticket. In the end they make more each in a few months then I do breaking my back in a year. In my mind there is bigger issues that are underlying. Most of us on here have a great head on our shoulders so shouldn't pertain to you but one would be more active citizen policing from everyone. I have said to to many people that's a snagged fish or you had that fish out the water 5 mins for a picture with every one in your group you got to keep it and there it goes belly up down river and oddly enough most people stick up for the hoodlum. Dont be scared and protect our natural rights to sustainable food! Fur and feathers are too spares to even catch a fraction of abuse.
    Sounds like you could be charged with aiding/abetting and/or as an accomplice to the illegal commercial take of salmon under a PU license.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast