Thread: Little Susitna

Default Little Susitna

Anyone paddled the little susitna from the parks to pt mckenzie? How long does the trip take? Thanks

By Point McKenzie do you mean all the way to the river mouth, or just to Burma landing?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've done highway to Burma and Miller's Reach to Burma. 2-3 days depending on water flow and how much messing about you do.

it all depends on how fast you want to paddle, 2 or 3 days 2 if you paddle fast an 2 or you can go real slow it could be 3 to 4 days ,
    it you go real slow , the water also will effect on your speed SID

Does anyone know how shallow the river gets from the highway to Burma? I am thinking about using a 14 foot row boat. I just do not want to have to drag the boat too much. Thanks

I floated it last Friday from millers down to burma. No dragging at all. River flow was about 700 cfs. I took the raft but my drift boat would have been no problem either. Current flow is about 500 cfs so there are some riffles that will be much more exposed. All depends on how much water your vessel needs to float. All the windy frog water will be fine but a few spots lower in the drift may be pretty shallow.

Where does one camp if they were to float from where the Little Su goes under the Parks highway all the way down to Burma Landing (Little Susitna Public use facility)? Anywhere along the bank?

Fin Chaser, you said you did that float a couple weeks ago and it took a day?

I'm looking to do some silver fishing this weekend and I want to know if it is feasible to float that stretch in a day and then camp at the Little Su public access/use campground, or if I need to plan on camping somewhere along the way.

Thanks!

you cam camp any where you want , find a sand bar an go to it , you should take a good [ BACK COUNTRY GPS ] an at times when you stop check on your progress , you don;t have to track you can't get lost only one river, save your batteries , if you start out real early on the day you start an if you do make it it will be very late the next day, you might make it no fishing or very little SID

Just an update for anyone interested.

We (my sister and I0 ended up dropping one car off at the Little Susitna Public Use Facility, and then drove back to put in at Parks Highway bridge just before Houston. We got a late start, and didn't really get on the water until around 6pm. We floated down for about 2-3 hours before setting up camp for the night on larger sandbar. We planned to split the entire 55 mile trip into two 8-9 hour days (figuring we'd be able to paddle/float, fish, and take breaks each day). Our late start really hurt us, and day 2 ended up being a solid day of paddling- about 14 hours of on the water paddling (not so much floating) with the odd 20 minute rest/bathroom/fish/snack break here and there. Still it was a great trip! We saw about 3 other groups of paddlers, and then ran into some more motorized boaters as we got closer to the public use facility. We struck out on the salmon, though we didn't really have much of a chance (I went back and looked, the fish counts were low on those days, and we didn't fish that much anyways).

Class I the whole way, a couple tight turns with trees down which required a little bit of maneuvering and planning, and one stretch that was fairly shallow with a few rocks to avoid. Would make for a very easy 3 day trip, or a fun 2 day trip (if you're on the water at a reasonable hour). I've done several other canoe trips, but this was the first time my sister had ever been in a canoe (again, just for your reference if you're planning this trip and you've never done anything like this before). Lots of gravel bars along the way to camp (about 1-2 every hour or so).

March thru October, Kenai Peninsula Alaska. I'm laid off and winter in Northern MN.

Wilfred,
    Thanks for posting, I've been looking at that route for my solo. I may have to give it a shot sometime.
    May the rivers be crooked and winding, and the portages lonesome, leading to the most "Amazing View".

That info is pretty spot on, I have done this float quite a few times in a canoe and it is usually a good 16 hours with paddling moderately. Just don't get too comfortable like I did on one of our first trips. Everything seemed to be going smooth and the river was fairly mellow so I decided to break out the lawn chair towards the back of the canoe and I was feelin pretty good, nice comfy ride. A couple quick blind bends later and we found ourselves drifting towards an overhanging log and that's when my buddy panicked and we ended up sideways with his end of the canoe free of danger. I ended up taking the tree across the chest and the current took us hard into the overhang until we came to a stop but it was too late for me on a loaded spring I was launched and before I knew it I was sitting 6 feet under haha. The good news is the canoe stayed upright and we still had an enjoyable float after the ordeal.