Thread: Thinking about swapping to outboard(s) Fiberform inboard hull.

Default Thinking about swapping to outboard(s) Fiberform inboard hull.

Gf has a 23 foot Fiberform. Seems like a good hull to me. Engine (inboard 350) is fubar'd. Thought it might be a good candidate to make the transition to outboards. Anyone do this in the past? I know it would involve more than just the cost to repower. Would it be worth it?
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I don't think it would be all that bad.
    Pull the engine and outdrive. Fill the hole where the outdrive used to be.
    Install an OB bracket and install an engine or two.
    The bracket will get the engines out of the way and give you better flotation and a smoother ride in the chop.
    If you were to go this route I would install twin OB's for security and much better handling in tight quarters.
    I'm looking @ boats for when I retire to the sunny South and am only looking at boats with twins.

I would think a pair of 140's or 150's would be awesome on that boat.

I did repower on my ospery last May/June, fiberglass 2500, mount 1800, outboard 21,000
    Talk with Joel at Ashbreeze boat works great guy to work with!

http://ashbreezboatworks.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I did repower on my ospery last May/June, fiberglass 2500, mount 1800, outboard 21,000
    Talk with Joel at Ashbreeze boat works great guy to work with!

http://ashbreezboatworks.com

Looking Good. There is a Bayliner halfway between Kenai and Soldotna on the Spur That I looked at today. Has a professionally made aluminum bracket with a 150 horse mounted on it. I plan to stop in and find out who did the work.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

We talked about who did this a few years back: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...to-an-outboard . Maybe there are a few ideas in there that will peak your interest- Good luck!
    ~Beer Drinkin don't do half the harm of love makin~. Old New England Proverb
    * 1991 24' Almar Jetline Cabin-cruiser * 2004 16' Lund * 1955 17' Grumman Canoe
    - MMSI# 338169948

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Looking Good. There is a Bayliner halfway between Kenai and Soldotna on the Spur That I looked at today. Has a professionally made aluminum bracket with a 150 horse mounted on it. I plan to stop in and find out who did the work.
    I saw somebody stopped and looking at the boat a few days ago......maybe it was last week when the guy first put it out there. I wonder if it was you...??? He must be asking a pretty penny for it as if I recall he had it out there last year too.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've seen a lot different mounts out there. After all research there is only two brackets I'd use . Mine is a PDR, or an Armstrong.

Here another angle on mine

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

If you can do a full extension of the bottom you will get a better ride, and if you are putting twins on it you need the flotation.

If you had the full hull extension your boat would not squat like it does sitting still. With the right amount of flotation your blue stripe should be level with the water at rest. When you move the weight back more then 4 ft even if the out board is lighter it pushes your stern down to far.
    Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I've seen a lot different mounts out there. After all research there is only two brackets I'd use . Mine is a PDR, or an Armstrong.

Here another angle on mine

Default Thinking about swapping to outboard(s) Fiberform inboard hull.

MGH55 like this I'm pretty sure she's sits close to level

It looks a bit down but not bad. When I replaced 2 older 2 strokes on a Olympic with new 4 strokes we had to junk the Armstrong and had a full extension done. With a full load it came back to level. The owner felt like he had a new boat plus it acted like it was 3ft longer.