Thread: Crabs out of Whittier / Seward/ Homer

Default Crabs out of Whittier / Seward/ Homer

I would like to learn about catching crabs in PWS. Is it a viable option out of say whittier or seward? Are there any numbers of them or is it a pretty low success rate. Depth? Bait? Steep and deep or just deep? Need a crab permit? other legalities? type of crabs?

I had a crab clinging to the side of my shrimp pots last year but it let go about 5' from the surface....

Potbuilder had mentioned at the show that he might start building pots so that should take care of where to purchase them.

Thanks!

I tried a search on the site but couldnt really come up with answers....

There is a winter opening for crabs in PWS. Check regs for details.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

As bkmail states, the winter opening in PWS is probably your only option. I think it opens in October and closes in March? Needless to say, participation is low due to the time of year. There is technically a tanner crab fishery out of Homer, but it hasn't been open in a number of years due to an inadequate biomass.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    As bkmail states, the winter opening in PWS is probably your only option. I think it opens in October and closes in March? Needless to say, participation is low due to the time of year. There is technically a tanner crab fishery out of Homer, but it hasn't been open in a number of years due to an inadequate biomass.
    Hope I'm not high jacking this thread but I'm also wondering about shrimping/crabbing in Kachemak Bay. Any info on this out there? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by timinhomer View Post
    Hope I'm not high jacking this thread but I'm also wondering about shrimping/crabbing in Kachemak Bay. Any info on this out there? TIA
    No shrimping, crabbing is closed. That's about all there is to know until the biomass of tanner crabs increases. There used to be a dungeness fishery a couple decades ago, but it crashed long ago.

No shrimping, crabbing is closed. That's about all there is to know until the biomass of tanner crabs increases. There used to be a dungeness fishery a couple decades ago, but it crashed long ago.

Thanks Brian

i'm going to be building crab pots this summer for the fall season. If anyone is interested please give me a call or PM me on here. I need to order materials and would like to get a idea of how much interest there is so i can order enough to get everyone geared up.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

HI PotBuilder,

Would you please PM me. I cannot find how to PM you. Thanks!

I've heard there used to be some shrimp in K-bay too...

From what I've been told, we wouldn't know even if the biomass increases cause there is no money for ADFG to do abundance studies...

So, do they measure crab quantities by their biomass output or actual numbers?

Trawl surveys are used to estimate absolute abundance. Page 57

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/fedaidpdfs/fmr10-38.pdf
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Trawl surveys are used to estimate absolute abundance. Page 57

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/fedaidpdfs/fmr10-38.pdf
    well, I'm paying attention; page 57 is referring to steelhead. I am just wondering if folks are calling a cast of crabs, a biomass of crabs, or do they measure the biomass produced by crabs rather than the actual crabs themselves. I am just trying to be more informed here, sorry for my ignorance...

The report has a title page, table of contents, etc. that aren't numbered, so the PDF page numbers don't match the report page numbers. You need to go to page 69 of the PDF to get to page 57 of the actual document. I have found this mismatch of page numbers really annoying for years.

Big_E

Quote Originally Posted by vaaler View Post
    The report has a title page, table of contents, etc. that aren't numbered, so the PDF page numbers don't match the report page numbers. You need to go to page 69 of the PDF to get to page 57 of the actual document. I have found this mismatch of page numbers really annoying for years.

Big_E
    no kidding! Thanks.