Thread: Sardine versus Herring for wrapping kwik fish?

Default Sardine versus Herring for wrapping kwik fish?

After fishing for king salmon for 25 years in Alaska and using herring wraps on my kwik fish I had a guy from Oregon ask me why we don't use sardine instead of herring. I didn't know the answer. While in Anchorage Cabelas the other day I looked in the bait refers and there are no sardines just herring. So what's the answer?

I've only used sardines here in Alaska

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I've used both, and the fish don't seem to care. But you will once you try sardines. They stay on better and last longer. You can live without them, but if you can get them easily, you'll be surprised and pleased with the difference.

I use herring, sardines, and even shrimp on my plugs.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Bacon!! Bacon-wrapped Kwikfish, Anyone ever tried it? I've heard of it, but never seen it in action. Just seems like waste of good meat!

I'm partial to herring just based on sheer availability! I have never seen bait-quality sardine for sale up here, only thing I've come across is the canned sardines at the grocery stores. Is that (supermarket canned sardines) what the guys are using down in WA and OR when they wrap?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_DFish View Post
    Bacon!! Bacon-wrapped Kwikfish, Anyone ever tried it? I've heard of it, but never seen it in action. Just seems like waste of good meat!

I'm partial to herring just based on sheer availability! I have never seen bait-quality sardine for sale up here, only thing I've come across is the canned sardines at the grocery stores. Is that (supermarket canned sardines) what the guys are using down in WA and OR when they wrap?
    You start off with a whole sardine, not canned from the store. The canned stuff is too mushy. Pacific Sardines are big sardines, so you have to cut strips off the fillet. We've picked up Pacific Sardines at some of the local vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    You start off with a whole sardine, not canned from the store. The canned stuff is too mushy. Pacific Sardines are big sardines, so you have to cut strips off the fillet. We've picked up Pacific Sardines at some of the local vendors.
    That's it. I've used mackerel the same way down south, too. Even tougher than sardine, and lasts really well. Worked so well in fact, it's always made me wish I could get some whole frozen mackerel up here for a test. Got visitors coming this summer from mackerel country, so it's a memory test to see if I can get them to bring along some.

If the quality of the bait (sardines - herring) is even close then I'd use sardines to wrap plugs every time. Sardines have more oil thus producing a better scent trail which also means they milk out longer. The main reason you are wrapping your plug is to add scent.
    Now, if I'm trolling straight bait in the salt I prefer herring. But I also try to change the bait out frequently to keep my offering fresh.

My thoughts on this topic here...

http://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....2&postcount=24

A broader more diverse perspective here...

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...g#post11991322
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post

.. better scent trail...

Now, if I'm trolling straight bait in the salt I prefer herring. But I also try to change the bait out frequently to keep my offering fresh.

Here's a broad hint for you.
    Consider that big old gut pocket on the front when you're using cutplug herring.

Plug cut? Been awhile since I've run my herring that way. I'm a thread them with a needle guy these days. Run them for a 1/2 hour tops then switch to a fresh bait.

Gotta do what you gotta do!

If you can get tuna bellies it works even better.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebraun View Post
    If you can get tuna bellies it works even better.
    I've always wondered about black cod bellies, but I keep eating them up before I can test them!

I don't think the kings really care as much as we think, most days. I've pulled them on ballyhoo strips... normally I take my herring when done rolling them, fillet, strip and into the salt bucket they go for good keeping. Makes them good and tough like herring jerky. Then I wire wrap them into my bucktails and hoochies, makes for a very nice streamlined bait that stays forever. I carry 1/2gal of herring oil, if it needs it, just a quick dip.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Pretty sure I saw sardines in the freezer at Soldotna Trustworthy a couple weeks ago.

I've picked them up there in the past

Old thread, but quick question. Do you guys brine your sardine before wrapping?

Just another alternative to consider when sardines are in SHORT supply.

Hooligan wraps performed admirably for me on the Kenai this year... in both au naturale and steak'N'eggs versions.

The oily little buggers fillet nicely and are MUCH easier to work with than tuna bellies. More importantly, they flat out WORK.... better than other alternatives I have tried like herring and shad.

Just something to keep in mind if you ever have a surplus of hooligan in the future
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD