Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance

Default Insurance

Who has the best rates for river boat insurance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

St Farm dings me $235 a yr for my 18ft SeaArk/80hp yamaha.

charter lakes is cheapest!

http://www.charterlakes.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I just insured my Alaskan xl through geico $485 for the year.

State Farm for the 18' Alweld and Charter Lakes for the airboat

Progressive for me.
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Thumbs up

I switched from Progressive to Charter Lakes... Went from $708 p/yr ($58 mo) to $420 ($35 mo) for the same coverage... I'll take it....

Allstate 525 a year for the tub.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Wooldridge Alaskan with 115 outboard jet - just renewed with State Farm in Fairbanks for $230 annually.

How about on the saltwater side? Does it make a difference?

Charter Lakes came in with a very reasonable quote of$190 year. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no really cheap insurance out there and if you shop around the price they give you will be different than what they give me. The days of being loyal to your insurance guy is over. Rule of thumb for everyone should be comparatively shopping every couple of years for better deals.
    Shopping for boat insurance just because its cheap does not mean it is good. Insurance companies are in the business of receiving not giving to the customer. If you have a total lose on your boat what will they pay to replace??? I have a 26' Hewse and the policy will cover almost what it will cost to replace. Keep in mind ALMOST, but they will not cover my sailboat so I am forced to use someone else ha ha. That company will only cover NADA for that boat and not what I have invested in the boat.

Most folk out there when searching for insurance only see the bottom line (WHAT IS IT GOING TO COST ME) me included. I have learned in trial and error that you have to ask the question what exactly will you cover on this boat and at what cost to me. I.E hull, motor and trailer, content if broken into and stolen. Deductible

I try and remind myself that you only get what you pay for and if you don't do your research when that days comes and you have to call the agent you will wish you had.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Default Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    There is no really cheap insurance out there and if you shop around the price they give you will be different than what they give me. The days of being loyal to your insurance guy is over. Rule of thumb for everyone should be comparatively shopping every couple of years for better deals.
    Shopping for boat insurance just because its cheap does not mean it is good. Insurance companies are in the business of receiving not giving to the customer. If you have a total lose on your boat what will they pay to replace??? I have a 26' Hewse and the policy will cover almost what it will cost to replace. Keep in mind ALMOST, but they will not cover my sailboat so I am forced to use someone else ha ha. That company will only cover NADA for that boat and not what I have invested in the boat.

Most folk out there when searching for insurance only see the bottom line (WHAT IS IT GOING TO COST ME) me included. I have learned in trial and error that you have to ask the question what exactly will you cover on this boat and at what cost to me. I.E hull, motor and trailer, content if broken into and stolen. Deductible

I try and remind myself that you only get what you pay for and if you don't do your research when that days comes and you have to call the agent you will wish you had.
    Good luck
    Charter lake is the best and cheapest.
    Also always have an appraisal for your boat cause Nada is obsolete in the marine world!

I pay for 310 a year for my osprey and a riddle marine motto jet!
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Well i'm bringing this old thread back to life. It's getting close for us to start looking around for insurance for our new boat. Looks like Charter Lakes and Boat US are 2 of the more popular options. Has anyone had any recent experiences with either one?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

As stated previously, and it was great advice, make sure the areas where you'll be playing are covered.

Progressive. 300$ for the year. Doesn't matter if it's salt or fresh, it's all good. Caveat: I cannot be more than x miles away from land. I cannot remember how far she said it was, but it was way further than I would ever go in a 22' boat! 22' wooly classic with 350 jet is insured. I also use them for at insurance.

Allstate for me as I have the house, flood and auto's all together with them. Then because I have deer hunting property back in NY and take people out in the boat, I have a Balloon Policy that covers me well beyond the boat insurance.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I had Charter Lakes and it wasn't great. Mind you we're talking commercial insurance as I carry passengers and also do charter fishing trips.
    1500/yr. When I had the boat accident there was considerable dragging of feet on their end. They didn't care it was costing me money daily not having my boat in the water or was able to move ahead on fixing it. They insured the boat for what they thought it was worth; lesson learned. I now have a survey putting the value of the boat about 10k higher. I'm also going with a local rep, it was ridiculous how many people on the east coast I had to go thru to get anything done and get a quick settlement.
    As stated, insurance companies are not in the business FOR you.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

I carry insurance for my (exceptionally small) business through Progressive and insure personal stuff (home, auto) through State Farm. State Farm was about 30% cheaper than Progressive with comparable coverages and deductibles for my 23' SSD.
    Back in AK

One thing you have to check is the small print. I had towing on my policy with another company. So one Dec. I was out and had to be towed back. Nope insurance won't cover it. I was in the water during the "Lay Out" period. Which meant, from April 1st till Dec. 1st I was not supposed to be in the water. I'm an Alaska! Of course I am going to be out when people with common sense aren't going to be.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast