Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help - 22 bullet I.D. ?

Default Need Help - 22 bullet I.D. ?

Had an idiot decide to target practice on my security light mounted on the end of my clubhouse at my farm last weekend with a 22!
    Four shots later they broke the 175 W Mercury Vapor bulb and luckily missed the important stuff but boy did those little 22 rounds expand and leave 4 holes the size of a 45 slug in my metal building!
    I managed to dig 2 slugs out of a rafter after wife held me 18 feet in the air in a loader bucket - yikes!
    The only thing left was a neat little rectangular hole in the base of one lead bullet. Anybody recognize what brand this may be in case we catch the criminals?

When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I truly hate idiots that have no concept of cost of country living
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I truly hate idiots that have no concept of cost of country living
    Yeah. We have a road sign in front of our house and in plain sight of two other houses.

With multiple bullet holes in it.

Had a guy shoot a deer in our garden from the window of his truck one time. Had to climb our fence to get to it, and had his Leatherman in his hand preparing to cut the fence to get it back out. Had to dodge the sprinkler to keep from getting wet.

Claimed he didn't know he was shooting into someone's garden....

Bottom line, the best of em don't give a ratzazz about other people when talking about their own "freedom," and the rest of them go out of their way to be destructive. They needed a mama like mine to turn them over her knee while they were growing up, and they still do. I've been a lifetime member in the NRA since 1970, and was a hunter safety instructor for over 10 years. But every single one I've caught misbehaving had an NRA sticker in his window. Sumpin's really wrong with that, but I dunno what to do about it. If a guy is going to wear the sticker in his window, he ought to be walking the extra mile to be a good example and not making the rest of us look like the jerks they are.

Rant over.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Criminals is too nice a word, for such vandalism.

I'm sure those Mercury Vapor lights are Spendy.

What to do??? Maybe, ask around, like you're asking for witnesses, etc., so whoever knows that such things will be investigated.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I set up two trail cams under a guard rail and so far its working out well. Only suspects are a chap named Bugs Bunny and a cocky chap named Longhorn I think!

When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

You might want to check around and see if there is a reason they wanted that light turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    You might want to check around and see if there is a reason they wanted that light turned off.
    That was one of my first thoughts and I looked around pretty hard and the county LEO said he would check my place pretty often the next couple weekends at night.
    I have pulled apart 6 different brands of 22 ammo and so far no square bases. I pulled a Federal round that perhaps could distort to that shape as the base is deep enough with sharp edges but I think it looks like the fired ones came that way. An interesting note was the Winchester T22 target ammo has a very pronounced crimp and the lead finally snaps off like a tootsie roll leaving a wad of lead still flush with the case. So, I will have to shoot some into something I can recover them from... I really expected the Rem Thunderbolt to be the ammo that bore fruit as it is pretty popular but nope. I need to find some Agullia ammo also...
    Hopefully the villain's will not return and life will go on...

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Criminals is too nice a word, for such vandalism.

I'm sure those Mercury Vapor lights are Spendy.

What to do??? Maybe, ask around, like you're asking for witnesses, etc., so whoever knows that such things will be investigated.

Smitty of the North
    Smitty, the bulbs about $14.XX, so not real bad but to replace the metal sheeting would probably run $500.00 or more for labor considering how much would have to be removed to replace the one sheet... For now the holes will stay until I am sure they don't make it regular target practice! The worst part is my back is about worn out and working that high up to replace lights is no fun. I saw a surgeon last week and he said way too much arthritis and nothing he can do so ??? I believe my moose hunting days have ended...

[QUOTE=

Bottom line, the best of em don't give a ratzazz about other people when talking about their own "freedom," and the rest of them go out of their way to be destructive. They needed a mama like mine to turn them over her knee while they were growing up, and they still do. I've been a lifetime member in the NRA since 1970, and was a hunter safety instructor for over 10 years. But every single one I've caught misbehaving had an NRA sticker in his window. Sumpin's really wrong with that, but I dunno what to do about it. If a guy is going to wear the sticker in his window, he ought to be walking the extra mile to be a good example and not making the rest of us look like the jerks they are.

Rant over.[/QUOTE]
    I'm wondering, is there more rudeness and carelessness among shooters in general than there used to be? Maybe it's just me. In my earlier life I always shot where there was no one around but family and friends and it's only lately that I've been shooting where there's other folks I don't know around, so maybe it's only my situation that's changed but just to relate a few bad experiences: The first time I went over to the S. Cushman range with the family we drove in and the first thing we noticed was someone who was trying to pound a magazine into a rifle and pointing it in all directions during the attempt. I didn't even come to a full stop. The next time I was at that range I had the challenge of loading and shooting my muzzleloader with brass from an AK-47 hitting me in the face. I haven't fared much better at the local gravel pit. One time I started shooting just to have a couple guys pull in and start blasting away about 15 or 20 feet from me when they could have just as easily set up to shoot 100 to 200 yards away. The last time I was at the pit (with the family) a couple of guys showed up, they were set up a comfortable distance from us and were shooting in a safe direction but they were using very loud foul language and whenever they handled the guns between shots the muzzles were pointing in all directions, including ours.

Goal this year is to find a shooting spot WAY out in the woods.
    Louis Knapp

I don't thing percentage wise more trouble makers, however there re about 100 million more people since I first saw daylight on this earth so just more people period and less places to blow off steam!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    ...and less places to blow off steam!
    And that many more going "out in the countryside" to blow off steam. Trouble is, folks live in many of the places where they go to blow.

I wondering if that rectangle hole is just weird accident and actually started out round.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I wondering if that rectangle hole is just weird accident and actually started out round.
    Ya, I am not sure either rbuck, I don't know if I can salvage another round from the rafters without tearing away too much wood. Probably wont matter in the long run as I doubt we catch the boogers anyway! Wife hoisted me up yesterday and I got lights on both ends of the building working now! Cameras are set well too if they decide to return. Only problem with them being set so low to the ground just the grass moving triggers them. Had 3285 pics in 3 days on this camera !

Sorry to hear that smokey, try sending the picture and question to ATK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll come over and we can do a steak! then when we catch them we can give them that very spanking that Louis was talking about.

Me too Louis, back in my day I got to see the principal and his paddle a couple of times and it didn't phase me. However when I got home and my Dad took the kinks out of me with his big ole foundry worker hands it had a lasting effect......and I love him for it.

When my last child graduated from high school in 2003 there was some discipline left in the parents. back then you paid for your lunch or you did not eat. Today 60% of the kids in this district are on free or reduced lunch. Both parents walk their kids to school in pajamas and then pick them back up at 3:00 still clad in there pajamas. There was for sure a generation of complacent, indifference that has taken a toll.

When I was a kid I was the black sheep of my family. I pulled off some real stupid capers but even me who as ornery as they came back then was never disrespectful. Now-a-day principals can not only not spank kids they can't discipline them in any way.

Wasn't it Stallin that said give me the minds of one generation of the American youth and I'll take their country????? That has happened. We have a couple of 2nd grade boys that are nothing like anything that I have ever seen. They call the shots at home and they call the shots at school and others are following suit!

Sure is a great shot of that rooster Smokey! Sorry about your problem.....pretty ridiculous that's for sure....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Great points, EKC. I wanted to clarify things and point out that I fumbled the quote feature the first paragraph in my post was a quote from BrownBear , just to give credit where credit is due. I agree with everything he says, however. I was the one who was whining about bad behavior at shooting ranges. We went back to the gravel pit a couple of days ago and my wife picked up a bunch of glass where someone had shot up bottles right in the middle of the road going into the pit.
    Louis Knapp

Can you post a photo of the bullet base? I know I have seen something like that someplace or another. It was odd enough to make sure I stored it in my memory. Can you back track the trajectory and figure out where they were standing when they were shooting???] NEVER MIND.... My super slow ACS internet finally downloaded the photo while I was typing.... and making a sandwich,,,,, and taking a shower....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Can you post a photo of the bullet base? I know I have seen something like that someplace or another. It was odd enough to make sure I stored it in my memory. Can you back track the trajectory and figure out where they were standing when they were shooting???] NEVER MIND.... My super slow ACS internet finally downloaded the photo while I was typing.... and making a sandwich,,,,, and taking a shower....
    Best pic I have and yes it appears they sat in their vehicle and shot from the road. I could not find any casings and spent considerable time with the LEO looking. If they flew into the weeds they are knee deep and thick.... Looking at the pic, the shape seems pretty uniform to have been caused by accident. However a designed rectangular hole seems odd, but I suppose it may have been a patent issue? Interesting challenge!

possibly subsonic .22LR? they are more of a hollow point (I have a brick I can take a peek at for ya)

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast