Thread: Lower Cook Inlet Halibut 4/16/2016

Default Lower Cook Inlet Halibut 4/16/2016

Halibut fishing in April…hard to believe. But in reality, I know of folks off of kayaks who caught halibut in January this year though they had to release them.

It’s still hit and miss, but if you wanted to keep a limit of 10 pounders, it would be more likely than not though I got blanked on Sunday. But we are also already catching fish from 30 to 60 pounds enough to make it interesting.

On Saturday, I head out with my son for a 5 hour day. Fishing was relatively slow. My first two fish came in the span of less than 20 minutes. I guess the fish went 25 and 45 ish…In fact I was dealing with the first fish when the second fish strikes. My son manages a small chicken at the end, and I release several more ping pong paddles.

Sunday, we tried the other direction. Another 5 hours of fishing, my son releases two oversized ping pong paddles…maybe tennis racket head size. I manage something on the order of a dozen sculpins. So its still slow, but enough fish to make it interesting with a decent chance at a 30 plus pound fish.

I struggled with my fishing and near disastrous mistakes were made. It’s amazing what was so easy last season was so difficult after a half year layoff from halibut fishing.

I heard of at least two kings caught by the kayak crew. We tried for about 3 hours on Sunday and my son had one really good takedown where the fish didn’t stick.

One oddity to note was that both large halibut had what looked like a pollock. Other kayakers reported running into schools of pollock. Odd to see a halibut without crab in it. Other anglers reported seeing sand lances but no more hooligan and no herring.

Ya gotta love these kayaks. Glad to see another half dozen or more folks fishing from them this weekend.

Attached Images Attached Images

I always enjoy your videos! Awesome to get your son out on the water in his own yak! Glad it all turned out well and you didn't loose the fish finder LOL.

Nice Video and nice fish!
    I caught 2 halibut~50# each in the last week of March. Had them both in the boat within 20 minutes or so of dropping the anchor.
    I'm sworn to secrecy on the location but it was within Kachemak bay somewhere.
    Of course I had to wait 2 more hours for the rest of the boat to limit out. Some of the guys don't fish much and made too many mistakes using the circle hooks.
    Keep up the good work.
    Btw we still need to get together and make you and your son some jigs.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Nice Video and nice fish!
    I caught 2 halibut~50# each in the last week of March. Had them both in the boat within 20 minutes or so of dropping the anchor.
    I'm sworn to secrecy on the location but it was within Kachemak bay somewhere.
    Of course I had to wait 2 more hours for the rest of the boat to limit out. Some of the guys don't fish much and made too many mistakes using the circle hooks.
    Keep up the good work.
    Btw we still need to get together and make you and your son some jigs.
    Thanks avidflyer!

Hey hey Chris! Thanks!!! You bet I would love to try them out. Let's meet up.

I feel your pain about the circle hooks. I HATE them, don't ever use them these days. That's just to say there are people like me who can't use them effectively. Two reasons. First and foremost, I LOVE ripping into a fish...sorry PETA. Second, on a kayak, they just don't work really well. There isn't enough pressure to overcome the halibut's "grasp" of the bait given the low resistance of a kayak. Several times, I have had a decent halibut come to the surface, open its mouth, and the hook pops out. I use J-hooks almost exclusively. But you have to troll, or otherwise half of your fish are gut hooked. When you troll, I'd say 90% or better, the fish is lipped hooked.

So... a long winded way of saying, I want to increase my arsenal and more importantly my confidence in artificials...even if I use scent or chum bag. I think it allows me to drift or try slower trolling and not gut hook so many fish...and not keep paying for bait. Besides, what a blast to have the rod nearly jerked out of your hands like with jigs! That second halibut in the video would have "freight trained" a jig. lol.

I will definitely PM ya when I have time headed your way. Thanks again!