Thread: Speed loaders and Cappers

Default Speed loaders and Cappers

I'm trying to get my muzzleloader skill up for hunting next winter. On top of accuracy, I figured it would be good to be able to reload reasonably fast. I tried some speed loaders I bought from Track of the Wolf and they work great...I noticed it was mentioned in the catalog, however that speed loaders are illegal in several states for primitive hunts. That isn't true in AK, is it? From all I can gather, both from the regs and the qualification course I took last fall,is that there is nothing prohibiting using speed loaders in a muzzle loader only hunt in AK. The only limitations I find is that it must be a long arm of .45 caliber or greater, capable of only firing one shot, with no smokeless powder or scope. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm finding that capping is slowing me down as much as anything. I have both a straight line capper and Ted Cash capper. The Ted Cash works a little better than the straight line type, but both seem to want to dispense caps sidewise frequently. Is there anything better? Has anyone tried the speed loaders with a cap holder? Thanks!
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I'm trying to get my muzzleloader skill up for hunting next winter. On top of accuracy, I figured it would be good to be able to reload reasonably fast. I tried some speed loaders I bought from Track of the Wolf and they work great...I noticed it was mentioned in the catalog, however that speed loaders are illegal in several states for primitive hunts. That isn't true in AK, is it? From all I can gather, both from the regs and the qualification course I took last fall,is that there is nothing prohibiting using speed loaders in a muzzle loader only hunt in AK. The only limitations I find is that it must be a long arm of .45 caliber or greater, capable of only firing one shot, with no smokeless powder or scope. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm finding that capping is slowing me down as much as anything. I have both a straight line capper and Ted Cash capper. The Ted Cash works a little better than the straight line type, but both seem to want to dispense caps sidewise frequently. Is there anything better? Has anyone tried the speed loaders with a cap holder? Thanks!
    First I've heard of speed loaders being illegal anywhere, so obviously I'm at least part way out of date. I've certainly not heard about it being illegal here in Alaska. Heck, if memory serves they even had some for display and discussion when I took the course however many years back.

As for cappers, yeah. Some can be slightly out of adjustment or slightly oversize for a particular brand of caps, and all heck breaks loose. Just as you describe. I have a Cash capper that's excellent with CCI caps, but an inline capper from Traditions that's worse than worthless. I've found a style or type I like even better than the Cash model, though. Easy to make yourself as I did with leather tools. You can buy them too, in various shapes. Here is mine made from a scrap of leather strip in about 3 minutes. It fits into the little pouch I sewed onto my bag strap as seen here. Regardless of shape (many are round), it's basically a hunk of leather with holes punched close to the edge and a little slit cut between the hole and the edge to free the cap once it's on the nipple. Holes are punched for a friction fit on the caps. I keep several extras loose in my bag for days with lots of shooting, and use with bags that don't yet have the little storage pouch on them.

Here is a commercial leather capper that uses 2 layers of leather rather than the slits. Don't own one myself, but a bud has used one with happiness for years. Here is one set of instructions for making your own. He uses a drill rather than a punch, which I don't like, but it's single layer and shows the slits well.

You can buy punches at the Tandy Leather store in Anchorage if you agree. Lotta fun in making your own leather stuff for muzzleloading, but beware. It's addictive!

Thanks AGAIN for great advice! I suspected that speed loaders were legal here but thought I'd better double check.

I really like the idea of the leather cappers. The ones you showed me look very simple and foolproof compared to the contraptions I've been fumbling with. I think I'll take your advice and make my own. I did do a little leather craft quite a few years ago and still have most of my tools. Frontier Outfitters here in Fairbanks has a bit of a selection of leather working tools so I can probably find the right size punch here if I don't already have it. I've been especially itching to get back into leather craft since I bought the muzzleloader. The Great Plains rifle would go good with some hand crafted accessories.

I've put about 100 rounds through the rifle now and it seems like it's getting broken in a bit now. It's grouping nicer and doesn't feel like I need a sledge hammer to ram the ball home any more. Hoping to get a bunch of shooting in before winter hits, since I drew the Creamers Field Moose tag for this coming Dec, Jan. I appreciate the guidance you've given me.
    Louis Knapp

...I drew the Creamers Field Moose tag for this coming Dec, Jan....
    Outstanding! Keep on practicing and be sure to post pics of your moose. I was in much the same position as you, a long break from leatherworking before I picked up a muzzleloader. That did it. I dove back in head first. Now my leatherwork goes waaay beyond muzzleloading. A very good thing!

Yep, fully legal to use speed loaders in Alaska. Brown Bear has given great advise on cappers. I personally like the football shaped ones from Ted Cash when I use my percussion guns although I have had fair luck with some brands of straight line cappers and leather disks myself. The great thing about the closed Ted Cash cappers is they are protected from rain and crap getting into your caps.

I made up some round leather cappers. They look like they'll work nicely if I trim them down a bit. I left just a little bit too much leather between the cap hole and the outside edge and had to really force it to get the caps to line up with the nipple. I just got a pop a couple of caps yesterday in preparation for firing but got hit by a deluge and wasn't confident in my ability to keep my powder dry.

Speaking of "dry" and back to speedloaders, any bad experience with powder and static electricity out there? I was just thinking about powder flowing out of the clear plastic speedloaders and it looked for a recipe for a static charge if I find myself reloading outside if we get a little more of a typical Fairbanks winter than we got this year come next December/January. I don't imagine they'd sell the things if there was much of a problem but I'm not sure how many times they've been tested in -30 either.
    Louis Knapp

Speaking of "dry" and back to speedloaders, any bad experience with powder and static electricity out there? I was just thinking about powder flowing out of the clear plastic speedloaders and it looked for a recipe for a static charge if I find myself reloading outside if we get a little more of a typical Fairbanks winter than we got this year come next December/January. I don't imagine they'd sell the things if there was much of a problem but I'm not sure how many times they've been tested in -30 either.
    That's been tested pretty thoroughly. As the Mythbusters would say "This one is busted."

Here is a really good write-up of a really good experiment with startling photos.

Thanks! That was an eye-opener but encouraging. I was thinking about a few bad experiences that people have had fueling airplanes with plastic jugs but sounds like gasoline and gunpowder have quite different natures. No flammable fumes from gunpowder.
    Louis Knapp

The fact that powder manufacturers are all going over to plastic bottles instead of metal cans tells me all I need to know.