Thread: Pellet grills

Default Pellet grills

Just checking to see what people's opinions are of pellet grills that are available in the Anchorge and Valley area. Traeger, Green Mountain Grill, Louisiana grills etc. most are available at the big box store sporting goods.
    From the little research I have done on the entry level pellet grills it seems like there have been some issues with the traeger grills holding a constant temp. Any one on here have this issue? Any other pluses or minuses for any of them?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I have a Traeger PTG- the smallest one.

I love the food it puts out and general ease of use (electric, just add pellets). However it has a very difficult time holding temp- this is with the digital readout too. I consider it more of a grill than a smoker as it cannot go as low in temp as my propane Smoke Vault. I also run a remote thermometer, and tend to it every 15-30 minutes or so to try to get the temp back to where it needs to be.

It does a great job getting smoke flavor to otherwise grilled meats, but it sure isn't a great smoker.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My concern with those types of grills is the thin gauge metal used.... just not able to hold the heat. I am in the market for a smoker and am leaning towards the ceramic type... such as Green Egg or equivalent. Seems they can hold temps for 10-15 hours on a single feed of charcoal. Great for briskets or other large slabs of meat and that lets you walk away from the grill while it does its thing.

I run a Traeger little Tex elite, I added lava rocks to it to keep temps from swinging as much and love how it cooks. I just smoked some tri tips last week that turned out amazing. Just set the P settings to keep the temp low for the smoke setting and let it do its thing, everything from burgers to rips and chicken. It all comes out great. My friend has a Louisiana grill, it's a definite step up from the Traegers with the ability to easily sear over the fire pit and a little heavier construction. I've used my Traeger the last 5 years and still would buy another.

Traeger Texas elite for me. Works great. I added 6 fire bricks to help hold heat for winter time use. Amazing grill. We've cooked and baked everything on it. Pizza cakes meatloaf jerky you name it. Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

The lava rocks and fire bricks are great ideas. Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I've also read that in winter months a welding blanket help keep the heat in as well.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Another vote for the trager. Just did a brisket, awesome stuff.
    Welding blanket will insulate it.
    They do not like wind, Only down side I have found.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

I use fire bricks, welding blanker door seal and a wad of fpil about base ball size in the exhaust pipe. Makes good BBQ!

Mine has trouble cold smoking but I bought an Amazin smoke tube. We will see.

Well I bit the bullet and got the Louisiana grill at cabelas with their employee pricing and a demo model it came out cheaper than a traeger. So now on to cooking some good grub! Any one do a moose roast or any other wild game on a pellet grill?

Yes, everything is jucier and more flavorful.
    Just try a couple chix breasts for starters. Was a thigh and crispy skin guy, now Im singing a different tune!
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Anyone smoking fish on these pellet grills? If so any recipes you are willing to share?

GMG are the one!!!!
    Temp is dead on.
    And the wifi is awesome. Run the grill from in the house from your phone. Sounds like nothing till its cold out. Also allows you to build multi step programs of varying times and temps. meat temp probe works great too.
    I cannot say enough good stuff about GMG.
    When you get one order the blanket for it to. In the winter they get pretty pellet hungry and it even cuts down on pellet use in the summer.
    We really don't hardly use our oven anymore.
    Meat is awesome but you have not lived till you have had bread from a pellet grill. Or Pizza. Or apple pie. Or baked beans. Or johnny cake (cornmeal) muffins. We even do our Christmas and thanksgiving turkey on it.
    Also look for a cast iron griddle to put in it to sear steaks as that is there only down fall. All the grill companies sell a sear thing but those cast iron frypan or griddle does the same thing for much less.

Again one more vote for the GMG. And the wifi thing is absolutely fantastic. For ex my pulled prok profile goes

Step 1 Grill at 380 for 30 mins
    Pause to apply juice
    Step 2 Grill at 380 for 32 mins
    Pause to apply juice
    Step 3 Grill at 215 until internal temp is 193

So basically I start grill from phone and set temp to 380. Phone lets me know when grill at temp. Put probe in pork and put in grill. Run program on phone. Phone lets me know when pauses happen and when it is done phone lets me know and shuts down grill.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Well I bit the bullet and got the Louisiana grill at cabelas with their employee pricing and a demo model it came out cheaper than a traeger. So now on to cooking some good grub! Any one do a moose roast or any other wild game on a pellet grill?
    Smoked moose roast is the only way to go. I have done them in my Bradley smoker and now on my green mountain pellet grill. They are the best roasts you'll have. I just rub mine down with Montreal steak seasoning and place in the smoker at 225 for about 4 hours or till the internal temp reads 145-150. This is the only way I've found to make a moose roast that is juicy. If you really want a treat after you get your roast out of the smoker cut it thin and make French dips out of it.... Killer eats.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I was all worried about temp swings with my Traeger, but the ribs, brisket and chicken I have made didn't care about 10 degrees up or down. Simply excellent food off of that thing. I even cook bacon on mine. Also makes the best pork chops and steaks I have ever had, just cook at 400 with the lid closed until they reach temp (I flip once).
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem