Thread: May fuel availability on the Alaska Hwy

Default May fuel availability on the Alaska Hwy

Iím going to be driving to Alaska starting May 1st via the Alaska Highway on the way up and the Cassiar and Cariboo Highways coming back during mid-June. I have a long time friend whoís lived in Anchorage since the mid-1970ís. He suggested driving up in May to avoid at least some of the mosquito hordes the Great White North is so noted for. Iíve been reading the Milepost etc but Iím wondering if I need to take an extra 5 gallon gas can or two of fuel. Iíll be driving a 2005 4 cyl Dodge Caravan that has a 20 gallon gas tank. Based on many road trips I can rely on the Caravan getting about 25mpg, giving me a fairly reliable 400 mile range before the low fuel light comes on. Will that be adequate during May through mid-June?

Thanks in advance for your help and insight into this question.

Steve
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

I get 200-250 miles per tank when towing with my truck- never needed the can in January.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We drove up last May, taking the Cassiar on the way north and the Alaska Highway going south. Never had a problem getting fuel, but did find a lot of RV parks closed in early May.

The only time I've run into issues on the Alcan outside of summer was when I tried to push my luck on hours and got to a place after they'd closed. It was too far to the next gas so I just camped overnight. Not a problem.

Got completely chewed on by mosquitoes today, btw (interior Alaska). Don't think you can avoid them other than winter.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Rode the Alcan down from Anchorage to Utah last August on my motorbike. I have a 8 gallon tank getting about 40 miles per gallon---more or less a 300 mile range.

I always filled the tank whenever I got below half and was in a decent sized town. Never had a problem finding a gas pump.

Also got introduced to the Canadian chip reader on their credit card terminals. The card stays in the machine until the sale is finished, no swiping the credit card. My cards all got updated with the chips recently, and the US (Alaska) is slowly getting on board with chip machines. I carried no Canadian money and used credit cards for all purchases making currency conversions painless (small fee). Also a good idea to call your credit card company and let them know you are traveling out of country. They freak out when charges pop up outside your home area. Don't ask me how I know this. Also, having a good attitude and a valid, current US passport is the gold standard when navigating through customs/border stations.

Newer tires and a good spare are always a good plan, and of course, The Milepost.

Good luck and safe journeys on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Also got introduced to the Canadian chip reader on their credit card terminals.
    Whoops, totally forgot about this: I did once gas up at one place in the Yukon during the shoulder season (September, in this case) that only took cash. Might not be a terrible idea to be as careful about keeping your cash topped up as you are with your gas.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Many thanks for the responses to my questions. I didn't think it'd be a problem but it never hurts to ask people that have been there and done that!

Thanks again!

Steve

PS thanks for the heads-up regarding mosquito's. One of the reasons I've planned this trip for May was I was hoping I'd miss some of the hungry hordes! I guess not (LOL)!
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

I just drove it last month. No problems with fuel at all. And starting May 1 most of the seasonal stations will be open too. The road is in great conditions.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859