Thread: Solo fly out hunts

Default Solo fly out hunts

I was thinking of doing a fly out hunt in the next year or two. Species undermined as of now. I have never done a fly out. Do air transporters take solo hunters out, or do they only take a minimum of two. Sorry if it's a stupid question I honestly don't know and I thought I would ask around before calling transporters.

Different transporters have different standards. Some will, some won't. The best you can do is call around and ask.

There's a difference between Transporters and Air Taxis. If I were you I'd just concentrate on air taxis, they don't care how many of you there are, they just charge a flat hourly rate for the whole plane. You will have to know precisely where you want to go, and if they will land there, you're all set. Transporters will generally charge per person and usually have set, flat rates for different types of hunts. There's a lot of incentive for the transporter to try to reduce their air time thus increasing their profit margin.
    I have never seen where a transporter is cheaper, in fact any that I've ever looked into were a lot more expensive than an air taxi.

I've done a few solo hunts. I'll say it's not for everyone. Sometimes I enjoy the alone time. Gives me time for reflection and solitude. One advantage is there is no competition. The disadvantages are many. Potentially less fun if you care for the camaraderie. If you get into a pinch you it could potentially be fatal. So it is definitely risky. You have to think very carefully about each and every decision. It could mean the difference between life and death. I did a solo moose hunt several years ago. I came back with a 57" bull moose and 3 wolves so I would say it was pretty successful. However butchering the moose by myself was a task I did not enjoy at all. It took me about 8-10 hours to butcher the moose by myself. Normally a moose takes me about 1 1/2 to 2 hours with help. Just something to consider. I don't think I'll ever go moose hunting by myself again. Caribou, sheep or deer maybe. But butchering a moose entirely by yourself is not a pleasant task.

Nothing wrong with going solo. Smaller planes are cheaper, one person is quieter than two. You have to be more careful, take less risks. I enjoy hunting solo, till like bushwack says you are butchering a moose by yourself. If I'm in an area with lots of bears, I'll take a hunting dog for the extra nose, ears and eyes. You can sleep better with a dog in the tent, he will bring the wolves in though.

Transporters are licensed by the State and have rules to abide by that an air taxi doesn't, both are flying under FAA rules. A transporter may charge by the hour or by the hunt. Lots of transporters have super cubs that only haul one person, thus allowing a solo hunt. You can find a list of transporters on the State of Alaska Occupational licensing website. Hope you have fun whoever you choose to fly with. By the way this site has a list of air taxis and transporters.

Thank you for all the replies. Field dressing a moose alone sounds like a tall order for sure. I'm thinking caribou could be in order. I think I'm gonna call 40 mile and tok air to see what they say.