Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: .35 caliber fans have a look

  1. #1

    Default .35 caliber fans have a look

    I find myself very content hunting with a single shot rifle for all edible game. I have also grown fond of .35 caliber rifles. That brings us to this. Www.cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=757. I have a line on one for $246.00 my only reserve is the fact that even with the 25" barrel this gun still only weighs 5.8 lbs. It comes complete with CVA's crush zone recoil pad that is a very good pad but something tells me that shooting a 250 grain pill in a stout 35 Whelen load will not be fun. Recently I have fired every kind of 20 gauge slug that I could find through a friends H&R Topper trying to find one that would group well enough at 50 yards to qualify his trusty Topper to be his back up gun should he need it on an up coming hog hunt in Arkansas. I dropped the hammer on that Topper 35 times in a bit over an hour and that was enough...... Can't imagine this CVA Scout in 35 Whelen shooting an "elk" load would be any more punishing.

    What our thoughts on the matter ? Thanks EKC

  2. #2
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    What our thoughts on the matter ? Thanks EKC
    That one is going to hit hard, and fast.

    39 ft/lbs of recoil and recoil velocity is over 20fps.

    Compared to a typical .300WM- 21.5 ft/lbs at 12.5fps.

    It would be a cool gun to hunt with, but sighting it in would suck big time.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    352

    Default .35 caliber fans have a look

    Looks like the one in the picture has a break. That should help some?

    I have an 8# Whelen with scope. It does not kick as hard as my 9# .338 Win Mag.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    That one is going to hit hard, and fast.

    39 ft/lbs of recoil and recoil velocity is over 20fps.

    Compared to a typical .300WM- 21.5 ft/lbs at 12.5fps.

    It would be a cool gun to hunt with, but sighting it in would suck big time.
    I don't have the formula in front of me to run the numbers, but one of my 375 H&H's is just shy of 7 1/2# loaded. Sitting at the bench, you really don't want to touch it off with 300 grain loads unless you put a 25# bag of shot between you and the butt. The 270's are noticeably better, but still zero fun on the back end. Both loads I end up shooting "standing bench rest," with a normal shooting stance and my fore hand resting on top of something solid to steady me. Normal heavy recoil shooting methods can be used, and your body can rock and roll with the punches. I'd do the same with that Whelen until I got better acquainted with it. And I'd want LOTS of eye relief on the first scope. My pick for scopes would be the Loopy 1.5x5.

  5. #5

    Default

    I've got a long eye relief straight 4x Leupold that will get the call.

    I went ahead and bought it, $246 won't get you much these days and I like the way it looks.

    I can remember when on this very forum I said I wasn't recoil shy. Well back in those days I was doing man's work 60 hrs a week and had yet to cross a threshold or two. Hopefully it will be like most firearms and you don't even notice the recoil when shooting at game. I do have a bunch of cast/gas checked bullets that would be ample for deer or pigs at around 2,000 FPS.

    They offer this same gun in 45-70 for under $300 if anyone is interested.

    By the way mine does not have the muzzle break.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    That one is going to hit hard, and fast.
    39 ft/lbs of recoil and recoil velocity is over 20fps.
    Found a calculator and ran my 7.5# 375. The 270 grain bullet is packing 58fp at 22.5fps and the 300 grain is packing 61fp and almost 23fps. So quite a bit more. Funny but the 300 seems to pack bunches more.

    I'm pretty sure I'd be comfortable with that Whelen, especially with a pound or so of scope added to the top. I ran it through the same calculator rounded up to 7# with the scope and got recoil of 37fp and 18fps with a 250 at 2500.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    That one is going to hit hard, and fast.

    39 ft/lbs of recoil and recoil velocity is over 20fps.

    Compared to a typical .300WM- 21.5 ft/lbs at 12.5fps.

    It would be a cool gun to hunt with, but sighting it in would suck big time.
    ???? which load you used for typical in 300 WM. Below are my choices for typical loads to compare.

    Using my LFD software program, comparing the hottest 180 grain load in my Speer manual with hottest load for 250 grain load for 35 W, same rifle weight, and including Powder charge weight,

    I get 21 and 39.9 for the 300 WM.

    For the 35 W, it's 19.9 and 35.5.

    Of course, we could juggle loads til the cows come home, but my thinking, is that the 300 WM is a purty heavy recoiler, and the 35 W, is not. Nor does it require a long barrel, which would make for a heavier rifle.

    There MAY be some 5.8 lb 300 WMs out there. ??????

    The advantage of the 35 W, although I don't like the cartridge, seems to be Less Recoil than the 338 WM, and 358 Norma.

    To my perhaps convoluted thinking a 350 RM would be Mawwvelous.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    The advantage of the 35 W, although I don't like the cartridge, seems to be Less Recoil than the 338 WM, and 358 Norma.

    To my perhaps convoluted thinking a 350 RM would be Mawwvelous.
    Gotta dance with the one that brung ya.

  9. #9
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    ???? which load you used for typical in 300 WM.
    I used a 180gr at 3000 in a 8.5lb rifle for 21.5ft/lbs at 12.77fps...

    I've got a 7.5lb .300WSM and it's not terrible...but it'll let you know you did something serious when you light it off.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I've got a long eye relief straight 4x Leupold that will get the call.

    I went ahead and bought it, $246 won't get you much these days and I like the way it looks.

    I can remember when on this very forum I said I wasn't recoil shy. Well back in those days I was doing man's work 60 hrs a week and had yet to cross a threshold or two. Hopefully it will be like most firearms and you don't even notice the recoil when shooting at game. I do have a bunch of cast/gas checked bullets that would be ample for deer or pigs at around 2,000 FPS.

    They offer this same gun in 45-70 for under $300 if anyone is interested.

    By the way mine does not have the muzzle break.
    Thet thar scout is pretty much like the APEX. I seriously doubt if the recoil will be an issue for you.

    Weight ain't everything. It's the stock shape and the butt plate size, and how you hang onto the gun.

    Sometines, I don't know Exactly. Why a particular rifle holds and shoots so well, but I know it does.

    Someday I orter buy me one of them , listen now,,,, CZ 455 Training Rifles. Its a BA 22 LR, and has a long barrel a bit over 24". The sights are square up front and the rear is a square notch and is adjustable both ways.

    Anyway, it holds really great. The stock looks kinda funny, compared to other designs, but it sure works for me.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  11. #11
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Someday I orter buy me one of them , listen now,,,, CZ 455 Training Rifles. Its a BA 22 LR, and has a long barrel a bit over 24". The sights are square up front and the rear is a square notch and is adjustable both ways.
    Smitty- I've got a 452 Special Training Rifle.... love that thing. It shoots so good with irons and offhand that I just left the scope off of it. That long barrel focuses the weight up front....swings steady. Mine has the tangent sight...calibrated for standard velocity .22LR ammo to a very optimistic 175 meters. I've shot it to that far, kind like dropping mortar rounds...useless, but pure fun to pop rocks and clay pigeons out past Ft. Mudge.

    Grouse out to 75 long paces are in deep trouble if I've got any sort of rest at all and I've rolled a couple snowshoe shares on the run. Hard to think anything would work better as long as I can find .22 shells to feed it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  12. #12

    Default

    Smitty, your right the drop in the butt stock makes a big difference in how the recoil lands on the shoulder. Ole Butchy used to have a Kimber Montana in a 358 Winchester and shot only 250 grain bullets. The stock was so straight that only the point of the stock touched your shoulder. That was an awful thing to shoot.

    I don't have this actual gun in hand yet but have shoulder the CVA Scouts before, infact I have one in 44 mag. They fit like an Apex, however they are not the same gun. They don't have Bergarra barrels and the stock is a hard plastic it doesn't have that worm rubbery feel like the Apex does. They are not switch barrel guns either. I have shot some big heavy 44s in my Scout and it kicks like a 410. I am still not recoil shy, just don't like a steady diet of it. I no longer volunteer to sight in everybody's slug guns.

  13. #13
    Member Gerberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Soldotna AK, Eugene, OR
    Posts
    613

    Default

    I have a 350 Jamison that I have been shooting, and just made 3 more, 2 for guide friends in Alaska, and a spare for myself. The round is based off the .404 Jefferies, necked down to .354. a 250 grain Swift bullet does real good on a brown bear. Muzzle breaks, and a sorbothane pad help to reduce the felt recoil. Rick is a friend of mine and I borrowed all the pilots and reamers from him. I also like the .35 calibers.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerberman View Post
    I have a 350 Jamison that I have been shooting, and just made 3 more, 2 for guide friends in Alaska, and a spare for myself. The round is based off the .404 Jefferies, necked down to .354. a 250 grain Swift bullet does real good on a brown bear. Muzzle breaks, and a sorbothane pad help to reduce the felt recoil. Rick is a friend of mine and I borrowed all the pilots and reamers from him. I also like the .35 calibers.
    Did you mean to say .354 or is that a typo. It's ok if it is cuz i'm the king of typos on this fourummn. If not why .354 as opposed to .358?

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerberman View Post
    ...based off the .404 Jefferies....
    That's a really good case, and round for that matter. Long ago a friend from out of state left me for a year with a matched pair of G&H rifles, one in 404 Jeffery and the other in 333 Jeffery. He also left a year's supply of bullets and cases for both, just so I could work up loads and provide him with all the cases loaded with the right loads when he returned to Alaska to collect them. I fell in love with the rifles and rounds, and darned it all anyway, he really did come back the next year to collect them. And he wouldn't hear of swaps or sales for any price. Doncha hate guys like that!!!!

    Only reason I brought that up is to report that he was a little shy on 333 cases compared to 404's, so I tried reforming. Easy as passing the 404 into a 333 sizing die and fire forming.

    If I wasn't so long in the tooth and not hunting big stuff any more, I'd be all over you for a 358 version. Glad to hear the spirit still lives on!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Smitty- I've got a 452 Special Training Rifle.... love that thing. It shoots so good with irons and offhand that I just left the scope off of it. That long barrel focuses the weight up front....swings steady. Mine has the tangent sight...calibrated for standard velocity .22LR ammo to a very optimistic 175 meters. I've shot it to that far, kind like dropping mortar rounds...useless, but pure fun to pop rocks and clay pigeons out past Ft. Mudge.

    Grouse out to 75 long paces are in deep trouble if I've got any sort of rest at all and I've rolled a couple snowshoe shares on the run. Hard to think anything would work better as long as I can find .22 shells to feed it.
    Yeah, I been readin up on it on the CZ site. The 455 is the New Model.

    The CZs have a tighter chamber and a tighter barrel, .223, IIRC. They say it's what makes them more accurate. They also say, gotta use a .17 cal cleaning rod. The Tangent Sight is the one I like. They have models with other sights.

    Thanks for the report.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Smitty, your right the drop in the butt stock makes a big difference in how the recoil lands on the shoulder. Ole Butchy used to have a Kimber Montana in a 358 Winchester and shot only 250 grain bullets. The stock was so straight that only the point of the stock touched your shoulder. That was an awful thing to shoot.

    I don't have this actual gun in hand yet but have shoulder the CVA Scouts before, infact I have one in 44 mag. They fit like an Apex, however they are not the same gun. They don't have Bergarra barrels and the stock is a hard plastic it doesn't have that worm rubbery feel like the Apex does. They are not switch barrel guns either. I have shot some big heavy 44s in my Scout and it kicks like a 410. I am still not recoil shy, just don't like a steady diet of it. I no longer volunteer to sight in everybody's slug guns.
    I agree, it's the drop, that makes the diff.

    I recall saying recently, that I liked the Rem 597, because it held so well. I examined one today, and Yep, the stock had quite a bit of drop.

    Thanks for the info on the Scout. I was wondering, actually. I only knew the barrels were not interchangeable.

    I checked out a Rem 783 last Saturday. It did seem to be a more substantial gun than the MANY RAs that they had. I can see why you might prefer the 783.

    I'm not lookin to buy a nother gun for awhile, as I've got the APEX with 2 barrels, AND a new condition Win 94/64 that I put a Receiver Sight on. These thang ees possibly as accurate as my Accurate Marlin.

    I've got a thing about 30-30s. At one time I had 5 of'em, then went to 2, and now back up to 3. Lotsa people have them, but I have the impression that, few actually use them.

    I reckon, should get the guns I plan to hunt with this year, ready too. I understand about a "Steady Diet" of heavy recoil. I really don't have a heavy recoiler since I sold the 338 project. 7 mags are bout as rough as I deal with any more.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •