Thread: UHMV skid plate

Default UHMV skid plate

Where can a guy get one of these built and installed. Seems they might be more durable than a factory aluminum one? Think a skid plate is gonna be a must on my long crew...if I ever get springs that will hold it up.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Trail armor makes UHMW skid plates...great fit and finish, but you do pay... Then again a 4x8 sheet of 1/2 UHMW up here will run you 600+. Then you also would have to fab it up to fit. Really up to you there!

Looked 'em up...wow. 900 bucks. But I could see that saving me that much money if I high center up on the wrong rock. With my long wheel base, I think bigger tires/lift/skid plates would be my best investments.
    Master guide 212

I don't think I ever got hung up on a rock, deep mud holes will be your biggest problem. I carry a jack that will help lift up my 6x6 to get out of any deep mud holes.

Alaska Rubber and Rigging in Fbks seems to have good prices on UHMW. Is there one in Anchorage? I'm sure 1/4" thick UHMW would be just fine. I'd consider making your own.

Hdpe is cheaper, 1/2" will be plenty. A 4x10 sheet should run around 350-450 bucks. Use 5/16 countersunk allen head bolts, then a 45 degree countersink in the holes to give you a flush surface, carriage bolts suck.. Never had luck with the aluminum ones.

Theres a place out of WA, that has a sheet of UHMW 1/2 for around $270, Carlile express was around the same for shipping. Maybe they could cut it into a couple sections to save on shipping.
    https://www.redwoodplastics.com/

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    Trail armor makes UHMW skid plates...great fit and finish, but you do pay... Then again a 4x8 sheet of 1/2 UHMW up here will run you 600+. Then you also would have to fab it up to fit. Really up to you there!
    I bought the Trail Armor skid plates for my 2011 6X6 Ranger and I couldn't be happier. It is fairly easy to install yourself and is better than I expected. It allows you to "glide" over rocks and takes a great impact in stride and it is worth its weight in gold in the deep mud because you won't always know what is in there that can rip the bottom out. After I got a large stick jammed up through the seam in the floor that almost impaled my leg because the factory skid plate failed, I took that crap plastic factory one off and replaced it and would never have anything but this armor. Aluminum can bend and plastic can break. I looked locally at getting a UHMW plate made and installed but the cost and ease of ordering online and installation at home out-weighted any advantage of having to drop the machine for up to a month (quoted locally) versus attaching it at home in just a couple of hours. It would help to have someone help you but I did mine myself with no issues. Can't recommend it enough. Good luck,

Just swung by CIC plastics in wasilla today, was quoted about 900 bucks for a half inch hdpe skid plate. That's price includes instalation. They also have uhmw for a few hundred bucks more. I have a ranger crew.

That's about the same as I found online. Not bad. Might be worth if if I had a machine that worked.
    Master guide 212

Check out Factory UTV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cac plastic has in stock, 4x8 sheets of red hdpe, 1/2 thick, for 1/2 price till they are gone. (less than $400/sheet)
    I can get 8' wide x (whatever length you need) hdpe in black, 3/8 thick with UV resistant properties at $100 per linear foot.

CAC's deal is very good for the diy guy!
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

What's the difference in the hdpe and uhmv stuff?
    Master guide 212

Uhmw has higher impact resistance, low friction coeficient, and its self lubricating.
    Bk

*In my post above it was supposed to be uhmw that I can get, not hdpe. Its what we use on airboat bottoms.
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Went for a ride today, skid plate just moved to priority one for this crew I have. Long machine needs a good under belly.
    Master guide 212