Thread: Any suggestions for generator/battery electric setup?

Default Any suggestions for generator/battery electric setup?

Hi All,

First post on the forum website here, its great to have a place to talk AK outdoors! Anyway, I am in the process of finishing a cabin I have. Its wired for electric but Before I put the walls in, I am thinking of adding the option to hook in a battery to the cabin so I don't have to run a generator all the time. I have is one circuit with a few outlets and two lights. I don't plan on using any major electric appliances. The most I would get is a dorm style fridge (and might do propane there). Bottom line, there won't be much running on it, I just want to be able to turn a light on at night. The wiring is already hooked up to a plug outside for a generator and that's the only source right now. Any advice on an inexpensive way to get some alternate power from a battery?

Thanks!

I can think of several difference ways of having lights the problem is none are inexpensive. Using a generator, battery and inverter or a battery and LEDs at some point you will need to fill the tank or charge the batteries.

Will this be a full time cabin or just weekends.

Has to involve solar panels, LEDs, inverter and batteries.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Call Kurt at Susitna Energy. He has just what you need. I had to replace 6 batteries last summer $$$$$$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to have a 12V battery and an inverter to convert that 12V direct current to an 120V alternating current. Rewire your panel so that you run your lights and occasional device circuit off the inverter/battery combo. When the battery needs charging you turn on the generator.

That's essentially what I am going to do at my cabin, although I will be also putting in solar panels. I plan on wiring the walls with two AC circuits, one fed off the inverter and one wired to the generator. That way if I need to power something hungry I can run it straight off the generator and bypass the battery.

There is a lot more to consider as far as building an efficient system. If you plan on anything more involved you should budget out exactly how much energy every fixture and device will need, and for how long you want to be able to run off a battery before charging it. Whether you go to a dealer or design your own, you can have a system that is affordable, convenient, and efficient. Pick any two of those features.

Cabin will be just weekends, maybe some stays for as long as a week or so.

Thanks for the idea on the battery/inverter...will try Susitna Energy also.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    The easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to have a 12V battery and an inverter to convert that 12V direct current to an 120V alternating current. Rewire your panel so that you run your lights and occasional device circuit off the inverter/battery combo. When the battery needs charging you turn on the generator.

That's essentially what I am going to do at my cabin, although I will be also putting in solar panels. I plan on wiring the walls with two AC circuits, one fed off the inverter and one wired to the generator. That way if I need to power something hungry I can run it straight off the generator and bypass the inverter.
    chugiak,
    Our Magnum inverter has a bypass button that allows us to run the generator during heavy loads thus its not draining the batts. No need to run 2 sets of electric wires at all. Press the button any time and it feeds directly from the genny.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Ah, neat feature. You have specs or model number for the Magnum?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk