Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my treestand

Smile my treestand

Thought you guys might like to check out my "Texas Treestand" I made for my Polaris 6x6. Haven't used it hunting yet but am excited to do so. I am thinking it will work well getting me up above that pesky brush on the edge of those fantastic moose'y swamps (and will also give me a dry seat). I have more pics if you want to get a closer look too.

Let me know what you think, should I patent it??

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default not even any criticizm??

I figured someone would have some sort of a comment....good or bad..
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default jaw

you have to give everyone enough time to pick their jaw up off the floor.

Looks nice, for certain country would probably work well. Have you shot a large rifle off of it yet?

Can't see the pictures from here but it sounds like a great idea.

Default treestand

I haven't shot a rifle from it yet, still trying to master getting in and out of it ) It feels quite stable once in it. I have rocked back and forth while up there checking out the suspension flex (very little) and I think it will be great.
    AKmud

Smile I kinda like it

It seems that if you don't have it parked totally level, it would be very easy to tip it over though. Where's the cup holder?

Default cup holder

It is mounted to the box on the front rack.....see the white/green thing by the handlebars? )
    AKmud

Smile New stand

Absolutely no shame...

You obviously have some particular place in mind, right?

Just tag it before you move it, and take all of it if it's edible. That's all we ask.

Oh yeah, and provide us with a picture!

Taylor

Default Trolling for moose

Clever. I think I'd have to take Dramamine to ride up in that thing. Cupholder? Where's the puke pail?

Marc, I started reading your second book the other day; I think you're getting this storytelling thing down. Uh... for a man of your tender years, that's a lot of stories. Any embellishment going on there, or is it all "based on a true story"? :-))

Either way, it's good stuff.

Sheesh! I couldn't find anything unethical to harass you guys about. I'm disappointed...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

That's a pretty cool setup, but you might want to check pg. 15 of the regs before you use it as a shooting platform.

"You must be off or out of a motorized vehicle before shooting."

Default Tender 42

Nah. I just seem tender. Comes from having a wife 14 years your junior! I'm STILL very happy about that. Best trophy I've taken to date by far!

And NO, I didn't start dating her when I was in high school.

Glad you're liking the second book. I like that approach better, and the stories are based upon places that I've been but if you keep reading, the outcome is not always a happy one. A few surprises thrown in to keep a reader or a hunter on his/her toes.

When's my special package coming?

Taylor

Unhappy you are killing me........

Quote Originally Posted by shart
    That's a pretty cool setup, but you might want to check pg. 15 of the regs before you use it as a shooting platform.

I just read the regs you quoted.......(bummed) I may have to take a picture to F&G to see if they will let it slide since it is obvious that there is some assembly/setup required and it is not even possible to use in motion or quickly by any means.

Thanks for the heads up tho.....(still bummed)
    AKmud

Talking You may....

be a red neck if you shoot your moose while sitting 4 feet above the seat on your 6 wheeler.
    Actually pretty neat (I may be a red neck too).
    Gary
    I guess that's the kind of response you were looking for?

Default be careful

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud
    I just read the regs you quoted.......(bummed) I may have to take a picture to F&G to see if they will let it slide since it is obvious that there is some assembly/setup required and it is not even possible to use in motion or quickly by any means.

Thanks for the heads up tho.....(still bummed)
    Even if someone at F&G says it's OK be careful. Sometimes the front desk folks at F&G aren't as competent as they should be. The troopers in the field are the ones that will site you and if they interpret that you broke the law they'll put the hammer down on you. I'd honestly doubt F&G would give the OK being that somebody could drive while somebody else shot from the top. If they give you the OK then they'd have to let a lot of other stuff slide too. Give it a try though, and let us know what they say. Sorry to be the stick in the mud, it'd just suck to get busted and lose your wheeler, guns, animal...and whatever else they want to confiscate.

Default Hunting???

Wouldn't one you attach to a tree be a little bit lighter...and safer?

Talking Hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by shart

Just got my copy of the 06/07 regs yesterday and it looks like they changed the verbage regarding motorized land vehicles.

It simply says now that the motor must be turned off and the machine must be stationary, or at least not moving because of the motor.

Looks like I can hunt moose out of my stand after all!
    AKmud

Rob, i'd still talk with Fish and Game about it before you get to excited.

Default be careful.

Shart gave you good advise as far as getting it ok'd in an office. Enforcement and office people sometimes have different interpretations of the law and enforcement has the final say as far as arresting you. Then you have a judge interperet the law and he may or may not be in your favor.

Also, in the front of the reg book, it states "this publication is an interpretive summary of the Alaska Hunting Regulations and contains rules which affect most hunters which have been simplified for your convenience. It is not a legal document and is not quoted verbatim from state law."

So just because you read something one way from the reg booklet, doesn't neccesarily mean thats the way the law reads. I'd talk to enforcement about your stand and then I'd get a second opinion.

Thumbs up OK...You guys are my witnesses....

I just called F&G (@0850am on 7/28/06) and spoke with a gal at the Raspberry office in Anchorage. She interprets the new verbage the same as I did and said it is OK..... She said if a Trooper gives me a hard time about it in the field simply show him the regs and all will be fine (ya right!).

I think I'm good to go.....
    AKmud

Default name

I agree that you should be okay. Did you happen to get the gal's name you spoke with. It might help your cause to be able to reference her authority and interpretation.

Clever contraption, by the way.

-Carnivore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast