Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Halibut Destination?

Default Kenai Halibut Destination?

Hi,

Last year, my wife and I took our two children (ages 4 and 8) to Petersburg to try Alaska fishing for the first time. Well, 21 coho and 1 halibut later, we're in love with Alaska and are trying to figure out a trip back this year.

We want to specifically target halibut. Have been talking to a few operators about Kenai. Does anyone know if the halibut fishing in Kenai is worth making a trip for? Any recommendations on operators/lodging?

Maybe even an alternative destination? Petersburg was awesome but the flight to get there with all the stops in Ketchikan, Wrangell, not to mention the layover in Seattle was something we'd like to avoid. With Kenai, we are told that it's direct flight from Los Angeles to Anchorage and then a 2 hour drive, which peaked our interest.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Tanner

The drive is more like 3.5-4 hours, and Kenai itself is not where you'd want to be fishing halibut out of. On the Kenai Peninsula, your primary destinations would likely be either Seward or Homer. Both offer excellent halibut fishing along with salmon, rockfish, etc. Both are about an hour away from the Kenai River, which is a solid possibility for salmon and trout fishing on a river. Homer is about a 5 hour drive from Anchorage, while Seward is about 3 hours. Good halibut fishing is available closer to port in Homer, but the best fishing in both places is located a bit further out than what you were likely traveling in Petersburg.

The 1/2 day halibut charters out of Homer are a good fit for families with younger kids. The 1/2 day boats do not target large halibut, but generally go to areas with plenty of fish where it's standard for everyone onboard to catch their 2-fish limit.

Good places to start for a 1/2 day are Central Charters and Rainbow Tours.

Central 907-235-7847
    Rainbow 907-235-7272

They don't call Homer the halibut captal of the world for nothing.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Check out charters out of Deep Creek. Launch off the beach and short trip to halibut ground.

If you want awesome halibut fishing, stay away from southeast. Go to Homer or even Kodiak (hour flight from Anchorage). Just my $.02...

Yeah, what the other SE guy said - stay away, it sucks here . . .

Confirming the other two SE AK posts, Prince of Wales has no halibut on the east or west side, just sculpins...plus extra flight over from Ketchikan...

I will second the Deep Creek or Anchor Point Charters. Of course everything seems to always be based on budget, but with 4 of you, if you can find two more or just eat the extra cost to get the whole boat to fish super shallow. We often catch halibut in under 50 ft of water out in those areas. Much easier than fishing 150 to 300 ft down. My 11 year old son and I manage quite a few halibut off our kayaks in this area.

I know Capt Nemo on this forum (Brooks Alaska Adventure) does very well for shallow water halibut out of Homer. Obviously there is a reason most charters fish deeper waters but picking a shallower option would be more enjoyable for the family I would think. In many of these shallow water areas, at slack tide, there are often other fun fish for the kids to catch as well. Halibut is definitely one of the tougher fish for kids to handle both from a depth and size perspective.

I never have any trouble killing all the halibut I want around Prince of Whales Is! Sorry you had a hard time. I lived up by Clover Pass and would make a long run of about 5 miles to get lots of Halibut.
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    Confirming the other two SE AK posts, Prince of Wales has no halibut on the east or west side, just sculpins...plus extra flight over from Ketchikan...

I have fished SE also..... horrible salmon and steelhead fishing also......

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    I never have any trouble killing all the halibut I want around Prince of Whales Is! Sorry you had a hard time. I lived up by Clover Pass and would make a long run of about 5 miles to get lots of Halibut.

Just some failed misdirection......like the other posts -"stay away sucks here" and "horrible salmon and steelhead fishing also"

In 6 weeks I will be back up there checking the box on my 17th consecutive annual trip to POW for Salmon, Halibut and Rockfish.

Never saw a need to go anywhere else for all the fishing action a person could ever want. I think those who go or live there...know.

Targeting halibut is fun, but why not get it all like you could out of Sitka or Craig in SE? The nice thing about taking a wife and 2 kids is that you can book with a lodge and get the entire boat and all the fish goes home with your family. On a 3 day charter package in my area from July 10th-Aug 10th, that would be 12 halibut, 12 king salmon, 96 cohos, 4 lingcod, and 4 yellow eye. It is a blast to catch that many fish too and you will be eating wild Alaskan fish for the next year... or two! And yes, folks usually limit out during that time frame, no problem.

You boys get 8 cohos a day down there now?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Targeting halibut is fun, but why not get it all like you could out of Sitka or Craig in SE? The nice thing about taking a wife and 2 kids is that you can book with a lodge and get the entire boat and all the fish goes home with your family. On a 3 day charter package in my area from July 10th-Aug 10th, that would be 12 halibut, 12 king salmon, 96 cohos, 4 lingcod, and 4 yellow eye. It is a blast to catch that many fish too and you will be eating wild Alaskan fish for the next year... or two! And yes, folks usually limit out during that time frame, no problem.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

No need for a dipnet fishery with limits like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    You boys get 8 cohos a day down there now?
    No, six. I woke up this morning and realized I made an error. It's only 72 cohos, not 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The drive is more like 3.5-4 hours, and Kenai itself is not where you'd want to be fishing halibut out of. On the Kenai Peninsula, your primary destinations would likely be either Seward or Homer. Both offer excellent halibut fishing along with salmon, rockfish, etc. Both are about an hour away from the Kenai River, which is a solid possibility for salmon and trout fishing on a river. Homer is about a 5 hour drive from Anchorage, while Seward is about 3 hours. Good halibut fishing is available closer to port in Homer, but the best fishing in both places is located a bit further out than what you were likely traveling in Petersburg.
    Hi Brian, Thanks for the reply. It's super helpful to know that it's not a 2 hour drive from airport to Kenai

Seward seems doable with 3 hour drive. What type of distance from port to reach the halibut grounds? Are there rivers, lakes, streams in that area for the kids to fish off?

Maybe I should plan a couple of days on the Kenai River and then a couple in Seward to target big halibut (probably just me fishing).

Any recommendations for lodges/guides in these areas?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k7grc View Post
    Check out charters out of Deep Creek. Launch off the beach and short trip to halibut ground.
    '

Thanks k7grc, will do that!

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Will do some research on these 2 spots. Direct flights?

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I will second the Deep Creek or Anchor Point Charters. Of course everything seems to always be based on budget, but with 4 of you, if you can find two more or just eat the extra cost to get the whole boat to fish super shallow. We often catch halibut in under 50 ft of water out in those areas. Much easier than fishing 150 to 300 ft down. My 11 year old son and I manage quite a few halibut off our kayaks in this area.

I know Capt Nemo on this forum (Brooks Alaska Adventure) does very well for shallow water halibut out of Homer. Obviously there is a reason most charters fish deeper waters but picking a shallower option would be more enjoyable for the family I would think. In many of these shallow water areas, at slack tide, there are often other fun fish for the kids to catch as well. Halibut is definitely one of the tougher fish for kids to handle both from a depth and size perspective.
    Thank you Kardinal84. I'll do some research on these spots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast