Thread: Possible Bait Station move

Default Possible Bait Station move

So a baiting partner and I are discussing moving our bait station a little ways (less then a mile). We've baiting this spot
    the spot the past two years and have been hit right at the end of the season (first year was June 20th and last year we went out to pull the station and the bears had eaten all the bait first hit we had that year!) so I think part of the problem is that our location is not allowing scent to really spread, we are in a small tight valley between two hills (1,000 ft ELV gain from valley) that flows into a larger valley. I'm thinking our scent may not leave this small tight valley and we are only attracting bears that are walking within a immediate area.

do you think it would be better to push out into the larger valley, up on a ridgeline above the station (not sure if we can get there) or should we just stay at our current location?

any help on the matter would be appreciated! thanks.

Bear Spot.jpg

Imo alt 1. If I were going to move. But I'm not so sure a bear couldn't smell the current spot from the alt 1 location.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Id put it in the "V" just north of where it is now, between the creeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    Id put it in the "V" just north of where it is now, between the creeks.
    True... Funnel effect. Good call.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    Imo alt 1. If I were going to move. But I'm not so sure a bear couldn't smell the current spot from the alt 1 location.
    sorry my sketch is a little off, our station is farther up between the two hills. I'm worried that if the wind blows East-west (I'm not sure about prevailing wind direction) that It won't pick up much of the scent.

right I think if a bear is close it will smell the station I'm just thinking about increasing the range of scent. I've got a good feeling we'll connect sooner or later.

here is a updated map showing a better location of our current station

Why not lay a scent trail to where you would move the new site to, to see if that helps bring the bears to your current site. It should be easier than moving the whole site. And if nothing happens, your new location may not be any better than what you currently have. I did that to an area that I thought may be more productive and every bear I have killed in the last 7 years has come to my site on that scent trail.

How far in are you from a trail/road? The map looks like it would actually be a decent spot right where it is. Without knowing more of the particulars, it's hard to say where to put it.

how about option #3.. set up additional sites in the area. This will help bring in bears and keep them around (most bears I have baited all navigate around 2-4 miles hitting stations sometimes more.) Point in case I have station (A) set have very distinctive bears on it.. set station (B) 1.2 miles away (same bears from A arrive at B plus a few new ones)..

here is my suggestion

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Might just bait the same spot again. Add more scent "around" the area. Bears are likely to come back again this year.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Two baits in close proximity is not a good idea at all from my experience. When you're sitting one, they'll go to the other, at least the older smarter ones will and those are the bears I'd like to kill.

Your problem may have nothing to do with the bears not smelling the sent. It could be bears have no reason to go to your area looking for food until late in the season. You could put in a couple of test sites in a difference area to see what happens.

The reason I recommended running 2-3 sites within a mile or so is to see what sites get hit more regularly. once you figure that out pull the others and focus on the main station.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by ProHunterAK View Post
    The reason I recommended running 2-3 sites within a mile or so is to see what sites get hit more regularly. once you figure that out pull the others and focus on the main station.
    I was not trying to hijack your suggestion, if I had read your post there would have been no reason for my suggestion. So don't take it so personal.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I figure there's more that enough competition from other hunters out there, it seems counterproductive to compete with myself by setting several bait stations in close proximity. But maybe that's just me.

no harm no foul. We are all here to help one another and learn from each other.

Thanks for the input everyone! I think the plan will be to place the station where we've had it and drag some grease bags through the woods. I've got a good feeling about this year, hopefully here in a month I can be posting a picture of a big old black bear!