Thread: WHAT is the Lands and Grooves dimensions on 12 ga. Rifled Barrel...???

Default WHAT is the Lands and Grooves dimensions on 12 ga. Rifled Barrel...???

What is the standard bore diameter on a smooth bore 12ga. barrel........."AND"

What is the diameter of the Lands and Grooves on a 12ga. "FULLY RIFLED" barrel.......???

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Thank You......

So a 12ga. bore diameter is .729 on a smooth bore barrel. Would .729 be the "Groove" Diameter if fully rifled..........???

Depends on who makes the barrel. They are not all the same.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thanks........I would assume that in the interest of safety and liability that the groove dimension is .729 and the Lands would have different diameters depending on manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Depends on who makes the barrel. They are not all the same.

Like Doug said "They are not all the same". A lot of the current 12ga. barrels these days have a .740" bore. .729" is a minimum bore for 12ga. If you are interested in a rifled barrel, contact Hastings. http://www.hastingsdistribution.com/index.php. These folks can answer your questions exactly.
    Favor Center

Shotgun barrels quit be standard in the 80's with never ending wonder bores following latest greatest rifle rounds.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

So then, the Sabots wouldn't be the same either.

Thats Klazy. How does that work?

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Softer wads to expand to bore size
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I don't know..........However; "Fully Rifled" shotgun barrels in combination with the top quality Sabot encased slugs (about $2.00 each) are able to shoot 1" to 1 1/2" groups @ 100 with a good scope. That is very impressive accuracy. So they must have something figured out and standardized for these "Fully Rifled" shotguns.

My interest in this is still tied to some type of "Legal" reduced/muffled/elongated/shortened/redirected sound signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    So then, the Sabots wouldn't be the same either.

Thats Klazy. How does that work?

SOTN

Most if not all of the slugs are going to be super sonic

YES, But they can be loaded SUB-Sonic.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Most if not all of the slugs are going to be super sonic

Subsonic shotgun slugs can be difficult for consistency, they can be loaded for subsonic range and work well one day with certain environmental conditions and be well within range,and then be used once the temperature drops and now you have slug in the transonic range that is noticbly louder. Shotgun hulls I believe will offer frustrating result for consistent subsonic ammo.
    The 300BLK with 220gr SMK, loaded subsonic used in a hadi rifle will be far more reliable and consistent.

I agree.......I just want to explore all possible solutions. I think that if I could have found sub-sonic .308 Winchester ammo available in Alaska, that would have been a fine solution. It is a fun project, very frustrating, but fun.

Quote Originally Posted by northwoods View Post
    Subsonic shotgun slugs can be difficult for consistency, they can be loaded for subsonic range and work well one day with certain environmental conditions and be well within range,and then be used once the temperature drops and now you have slug in the transonic range that is noticbly louder. Shotgun hulls I believe will offer frustrating result for consistent subsonic ammo.
    The 300BLK with 220gr SMK, loaded subsonic used in a hadi rifle will be far more reliable and consistent.