Thread: 480 SQ FT Cabin Woodstove

Default 480 SQ FT Cabin Woodstove

Looking for a high efficiency wood stove for my 480 square foot cabin. It would need to hold a 5 gallon pot for melting snow. I know nothing about modern wood stoves so any advice would be appreciated. I currently have a Perfection oil drip that I'm not fond of at all. Tired of the cabin smelling like a city bus garage and transporting diesel by helicopter. The Perfection will heat my cabin to 81 degrees on the #1 lowest setting (FYI)

What stoves should I look at?

If you want a wood stove to heat your cabin overnight then you will want the biggest firebox you can afford, cash and space-wise. You'll also want a means to move the air inside the cabin and perhaps allow for ventilation for when the stove is cranking out way too much heat. Which it will do.

The Blaze King Princess is a very popular stove for small cabins. The catalytic combustion version allows for a very long overnight burn. Looking on this and other forums you will find a lot of opinions and experiences with various stoves, and frankly probably any one of the modern stoves will work just fine in your application. But I have yet to see anyone describe a bad experience with the Princess. It just seems to be a best fit for the small cabin application.

I was looking at the Blaze King lineup this morning online. Thanks for the advice. Ventilation won't be an issue as I need the sleeping loft window cracked open and another window open a few inches on the lower level with the oil drip Perfection. Negative 20's outside and the cabin still gets into the low eighties on the lowest setting. I have plenty of room for the wood stove and cost is not a factor. I was thinking a small stove but good point on the big stove. It MUST be able to have a large pot on top. Any suggestion on a particular dealer to buy from? (Anywhere from Anchorage to Talkeetna area)

I have yet to build my cabin, so no personal experience to share. I think Blaze King has limited dealers in the state, and you can probably find them through their web site. If not tied to a particular brand I would go to Moore's hardware and have them set me up. Ak Doug who posts on this forum looks to be as straight up of a guy as you will find anywhere.

I have a Nashua in my single story 480 sq ft cabin. I added a cook top to it that I put a goat milker tank on. Holds more than 5 gallons. The first night out, the cabin will chill off after the fire burns out. Subsequent nights stay a lot warmer. The Nashua has a small fire box. I stacked cinder blocks near the stove, and lined the wall behind it with pavers. you could use stones so you don't have to fly heavy stuff in. It adds a nice heat sink that will keep the cabin warm long after the fire dies down.
    With the shape of the stainless goat milker, I can leave water in it when I'm gone. It turns to ice without damage, and as soon as I get the fire going the ice is melting. Before long I have hot water again.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    I have yet to build my cabin, so no personal experience to share. I think Blaze King has limited dealers in the state, and you can probably find them through their web site. If not tied to a particular brand I would go to Moore's hardware and have them set me up. Ak Doug who posts on this forum looks to be as straight up of a guy as you will find anywhere.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will say, though, that the stoves I sell are not as good as a Blaze King. It is very unfortunate that Blaze King would not even consider an application from me as a dealer. They seem to think that two dealers 50 miles apart is too close. They are truly excellent stoves. The stoves I stock work well for occasional use, but not being catalytic stoves they are difficult to damp down far enough to not cook you out of a fairly small cabin.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will say, though, that the stoves I sell are not as good as a Blaze King. It is very unfortunate that Blaze King would not even consider an application from me as a dealer. They seem to think that two dealers 50 miles apart is too close. They are truly excellent stoves. The stoves I stock work well for occasional use, but not being catalytic stoves they are difficult to damp down far enough to not cook you out of a fairly small cabin.

The EPA has basically hosed us. If you want an inexpensive stove, you will end up with a non-catalytic stove. Unfortunately, these stoves burn hot and fast to meet EPA regulations. Most have less than a 5 hour burn time. That's unacceptable to me.

To get a long burn time you will have to spend the money on a catalytic stove, and the Blaze King is one of the best.

If you can find an old pre-EPA stove that can be damped down, they will work as well. You just have to be cautious, as slow/low burns build more creosote and lead to chimney fires.

Good explanation from Jotul on pre-EPA stoves vs. current EPA compliant non-catalytic stoves. Honestly, I could care less about smoke, creosote, and inefficiency if I don't have to wake up at night to feed the stove. http://jotul.com/us/home/pre-epa-air...c-clean-buring

Another good article http://www.woodheat.org/buy-right-stove.html

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMariner View Post
    Looking for a high efficiency wood stove for my 480 square foot cabin. It would need to hold a 5 gallon pot for melting snow.... What stoves should I look at?
    The Blaze King Princess is a very popular stove for small cabins.
    BK builds a good quality stove, but they don't make one small enough for a 480 square foot space. The Princess is designed to heat about 2000 square feet.

Unless your cabin is a 480 square foot uninsulated plywood shack, you're going to want something about the size of the Vermont Castings Aspen. (Which is a very efficient little stove, and will easily keep 5 gallon canner of water at a rolling boil).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I too feel a princess is quite a bit over kill for 480sq ft but you will want something you can load up at night and turn down so you aren't getting up in the middle of the night to load it or getting cooked out at night with something that burns too hot. There are many options out there but most are non catalytic stoves. I am using a Pacific Energy True North in my 20x32 two story. It's only a 2 cubic foot stove that loads North South but it works well and seems to have great air control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will be hard pressed to find a stove that will 1; not over heat 480sft, 2; have a 8 hr burn time, 3; that you can damper down and still get a clean burn. The problem with catalytic stoves are.... you have to keep the stove temp up to 500 degree for the catalytic convert to work properly it equates to the secondary burn of unburned flue gases. If you can't maintain that temperature for a time it will do the reverse in build up in your stove and chimney. Thus 2nd & 3rd degree creosote build up (sticky, smelly) fogs up glass is the first sign. Results can end up with a chimney fire.

There are some good stoves out there both in catalytic and non catalytic but the real problem will be to find the stove that comes close to fitting your needs.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Good explanation from Jotul on pre-EPA stoves vs. current EPA compliant non-catalytic stoves. Honestly, I could care less about smoke, creosote, and inefficiency if I don't have to wake up at night to feed the stove. http://jotul.com/us/home/pre-epa-air...c-clean-buring

Another good article http://www.woodheat.org/buy-right-stove.html
    Great articles....I despise a stove that won't take firewood inserted end-ways, or "north/south" .....that's why Jotuls and similar are the bomb....although even a cylinder stove would probably work in this application....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

This is going to be a hard choice to make after all the reading and input here. I'm further away from a decision than when I started.

Stop in to Alaska Fireplace on the Parks and look at the Pacific Energy True North. Its right around $1000 and will work just fine for your place. It loads North-South has a glass door and great air control. It heats my place just fine I just have to fill it once at night if its colder, you should be able to get away with it burning all night with good seasoned Birch.

Pacific Energy is / was a pretty good stove to have and you can't beat the price. Stay with a a stove that has a 6'' flue and 8'' chimney is retarded expensive.

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Anybody have any experience with the new, smaller, Blaze Kings? Like the Ashford 20? It has a small firebox but still claims 20 hour burn times.
    http://www.blazeking.com/EN/wood-stoves.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an FYI when a stove company states a burn time… thattest is done in a controlled environment by UL laboratories and hard wood. Woodtype, design and volume may see that many hours in a burn maybe. I have one of the best wood / coal stoves combinationstoves that were ever made and I don’t see 20 hrs unless I dump a 5 gal bucket of coal in.

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''