Thread: Promaster tripods - differences?

Default Promaster tripods - differences?

Hi folks. Looking at tripods for a spotting scope (Nikon Fieldscope ED 20-60x60) and have narrowed it down to two possible carbon fiber Promaster models. After extensive googling, I haven't been able to figure out the difference (if any?) between the Promaster XC325c and the XC328c. Anybody? Thanks...

Disregard. Doug (Camera Land) was very helpful with this. It's a difference in load capacity.

Before you slap hard-earned cash, do yourself a favor: Do a thorough check on the availability of replacement parts. Dunno Promaster from pinto beans, but after a career as a pro photographer, I sure know tripod wear and tear.

They break. Parts wear out. Manufacturers disappear. You have to send them back to China for warranty repairs. There are more I can't remember, and probably new ones I haven't thought of yet.

Before I'd buy ANY tripod, I'd check on the part/repair situation. Because things are going to break while hunting, too. I won't even bore you with the brands we use in photography, cuzz they're not designed for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Before I'd buy ANY tripod, I'd check on the part/repair situation. Because things are going to break while hunting, too. I won't even bore you with the brands we use in photography, cuzz they're not designed for hunting.
    Understood. Worked in film in the distant past, used Bogen and others for years. Different kettle of fish entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by Forager View Post
    ...used Bogen and others for years. Different kettle of fish entirely...
    Yeah. Bogen is now Manfroto, but same deal. We used them for years and still have a mountain of their studio gear. Gitzo is tops in our books for lugaround, both for quality and replacement parts. But you'll slap serious cash. Only models that look right for hunting are their little Travelers. We just picked up a pair of them, and with heads they were over $1k each.

I just can't see spending that kind of scratch, even if I had it. The Outdoorsman tripods look very nice though. Some day.