Thread: Earlier fishing season?

Default Earlier fishing season?

Due to the warmth in the last 4+ months in AK will the fishing season be earlier this year?

In my experience with warm/cold shifts and the other way, it's likely to cut at both ends. Early season fish could well arrive earlier, while late season could run a lot later. It's a mix of food availability offshore, rainfall and offshore temps. Heck. Last summer we were catching good numbers of silvers off Kodiak by mid-June. Unheard of. But they were tiny, and they hung around all summer in large numbers. Usually we don't start seeing them in any real numbers till later in July. BUT!!!!!! Due to lower waters in rivers, they were pretty late running up the rivers. Sure they hung around tidewater, but anyone walking upriver for river fishing came down with their tails between their legs. I couldn't have forecast any of that based on April temperatures.

Lotta weird stuff happening out there, and I think we're only seeing the tip of a very big iceberg in run size, fish size, and timing. None of us know enough to forecast what will be happening in June based on what's going on in April. The bulk of the fish are still k's of miles out to sea.

One thing I've seen is that this warmer water temp will kick spring spawning baitfish into gear earlier, which will push feeding predators into those grounds sooner as well, but then those baitfish will also vacate sooner too.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I'm not 100% sold on fish arriving earlier but it is certainly a possibility.
    I did catch a couple of 50# halibut last month. But I was fishing with someone who really knows his fishing grounds.
    There are always seems to be a few boats who figure out where/when to catch some early fish regardless of the weather.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Whiskey Gulch has been producing lately. Caught a king trolling from my kayak yesterday and halibut fishing has been good there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to get nice fish pretty early. Ultimately, I believe you need to shift your locations to match the hatch, temperature, runs and so on.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by SwansonSilver View Post
    Whiskey Gulch has been producing lately. Caught a king trolling from my kayak yesterday and halibut fishing has been good there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sweet! Nice fish!!! Hoping the weather holds over the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I tend to get nice fish pretty early.
    Same here. Our kings over 40# come before the end of July, with fish as small as 30 pretty scarce once you pass July 1. But last year's water was weird. Might be the same again this year. We got six over 40 last year and a bunch over 30, and kept right on doing it up until July turned the page to August. Then they disappeared like someone threw a switch. Meanwhile starting in June we'd have to sort through 10 to 20 little dink silvers (pink salmon size) to get a single king. High day we released 34 silvers and kept 2 for dinner. And it took 2 to feed 6 people. Just plain weird.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Same here. Our kings over 40# come before the end of July, with fish as small as 30 pretty scarce once you pass July 1. But last year's water was weird. Might be the same again this year. We got six over 40 last year and a bunch over 30, and kept right on doing it up until July turned the page to August. Then they disappeared like someone threw a switch. Meanwhile starting in June we'd have to sort through 10 to 20 little dink silvers (pink salmon size) to get a single king. High day we released 34 silvers and kept 2 for dinner. And it took 2 to feed 6 people. Just plain weird.
    In the gulf where we fish either east or west of Seward we do get more king action in the early season.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff