Thread: Smoker craft canoe/HP rating

Default Smoker craft canoe/HP rating

Hey all,

I'm looking at a 16 foot Smoker craft canoe on Craigslist at the moment for a small lake/swamp boat to fish/camp/hunt with my 11 year old son. The boat in question has a square stern so I assume it was designed for use with a motor. The boat itself is in beautiful shape. The data plate is silent on HP. Any thoughts what I could put on this thing?

Chris

uploadfromtaptalk1460563442937.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Shape of the canoe about like the 17 ft Grumman Square stern a LW 4 HP 2 stroke would work great. Keep the weight down does not take a lot of HP to push a canoe like that. Or a LW lo HP 4 stroke

Heres about the size and weight of motor for lakes where 2 strokes are legal. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/5538234253.html

Thanks guys. I picked it up tonite and have a line on a 4 HP this weekend.

Lets us know what you think, and be carefull learning curve with powered canoes. Should see 8 to 9 MPH or more with your canoe is my guess.

Ran 4 to 8 hp on my 15' Grumman Sport Boat which is quite a bit wider more of a planing hull.

A 15 FT Grumman sport is not a 16 FT smoker craft or any thing close, it is a good small canoe but there is a world of difference ,

SID

Strangely enough, I bought a Grumman Sport boat tonight. Now I've got more options.

Saw the one on Cr List great little boat ran one for 15 plus years.

Love mine! I've got a small longtail on it, will go nearly jetboat shallow, no water intake, and no lower unit to beat on the rocks.

Thanks guys, it was the one on CL and the dude who sold it to me was the nicest guy to boot. I didn't realize quite the versatility of this boat until after I got home so will take some time figuring out the power.