Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "WILDFIRE SEASON" maybe all year-around Soon. Your LIFE, Your PROPERTY

Default "WILDFIRE SEASON" maybe all year-around Soon. Your LIFE, Your PROPERTY

Last year or maybe it was the year before we had a great and very educational thread about what options exist for protecting your property and your life in a WILDFIRE event.

WILDFIRE is not a pleasant subject......but we need to refresh yourselves yearly on the subject. It is hot and dry now here, and it is not even mid April yet.

http://www.adn.com/article/20160412/wildfires-once-confined-season-burn-earlier-and-longer-part-due-policy-choices

http://www.adn.com/article/20160412/...ys-year-record

Great reminder

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...e-to-Fire-Wise

When, not if but when a wildfire threatens your home, it will be the work you did or didn't do well in advance to make your place defensible that will likely determine if you lose everything...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Where are cabin owners and remote home owners getting fire insurance..........???

Who makes the decision to cut the electric to an area in front of a Wildfire.......??? And what is the reasoning for cutting the power.....???

I have my remote cabin insured with State Farm . They also have my House and vehicles including my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Where are cabin owners and remote home owners getting fire insurance..........???

I've been doing some work to fire wise my house this spring. I'm mostly focused on getting the dead brush cleared out and limbing trees up to 6 feet off the ground. I also need to find a new location for my wood pile, as it's within ~15-20 feet of my deck. What I really don't want to do is to cut down three spruce trees that are within 15' of the corner of my house, as they're a really nice buffer between me and the road. Might have to bite the bullet and take them out, though.

Who makes the decision to cut the electric to an area in front of a Wildfire.......??? And what is the reasoning for cutting the power.....???
    If in the case of a large, moving fire, odds are the power is out as a direct result of the fire itself, not a human decision. However, downed lines are a serious hazard to firefighter safety and require the grid be de-energized. As well, heavy smoke is an effective conductor and will carry a deadly arc from energized lines to firefighters on the ground beneath the lines. Odds are though, if the power's out it's because there's a line down somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've been doing some work to fire wise my house this spring. I'm mostly focused on getting the dead brush cleared out and limbing trees up to 6 feet off the ground. I also need to find a new location for my wood pile, as it's within ~15-20 feet of my deck. What I really don't want to do is to cut down three spruce trees that are within 15' of the corner of my house, as they're a really nice buffer between me and the road. Might have to bite the bullet and take them out, though.
    Conifers within 15" is a tough judgement call.... 99% of the time, the thing that will get your structure will be the sh-storm of windblown embers infiltrating every nook and cranny, not direct flame impingement. While it's really important to clear flammables from your perimeter, it's also critically important to scrutinize your structure, with an eye toward soffit vents, siding, roofing edges...ANY spot vulnerable to blowing embers. Imagine your house in a 100 knot blizzard with 0/0 visibility...and replace the blowing snow with red hot embers. THAT's what's going to burn your house down.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

I am thinking in my area, a wildfire could cut off the only exit...........only one road into Hope, Alaska. yes, that would suck.

In a case like last years horrific wildfire........is the individual who started the fire liable for damages.....???

In a case like last years horrific wildfire........is the individual who started the fire liable for damages.....???
    Potentially liable for costs of fighting the fire? Yes. Liable for individual losses as a result of the fire? That might be a civil matter. I'm not an attorney.
    #Resist

I am thinking in my area, a wildfire could cut off the only exit...........only one road into Hope, Alaska. yes, that would suck.
    So can we pencil you in as a vote for a Turnagain Arm bridge?
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I don't think he would like all the traffic that would support.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I'm in a bit of a dilemma....of course I don't want to see a bad fire season and the risks that creates to people/property, but No. 1 son is a Wildland Firefighter and he could use the $$....

In all seriousness, No. 1 son is scared spitless of how bad this season is likely to be. Sees serious possibilities of the entire State being under-resourced to deal with fires. My offer to help by babysitting the grandkids all summer was viewed as not being directly applicable to the problem
    Back in AK

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Followed the fire wise program prescription for my cabin last summer and this past winter.
    Just need to move two propane tanks this spring.

My trees (5 acres worth) are pruned to 12' and the wood pile, from tree clearing, will see me through 5 years of firewood use.

Having a hard time swallowing the projected cost of a fire pump ($4500-100' lift and 700' of hose) and assorted hose/pipe/sprinklers ($3000).
    But it could be worth the investment if my neighbor decides his garbage burn barrel use is more important than a forest fire and the safety of his neighbors. (he is one of many who used his burn barrel during the fire band last summer). Glad he downwind of me.

Be safe and keep your fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    If in the case of a large, moving fire, odds are the power is out as a direct result of the fire itself, not a human decision. However, downed lines are a serious hazard to firefighter safety and require the grid be de-energized.
    We had a couple of fires in and near Two Rivers a few years ago, with several evacuations. GVEA did shut down power to the area during the one that was burning along CHSR for just those reasons (there were no power lines in the area of the Stuart Creek fire). Don't remember what they did in Willow during the Sockeye fire.

Everything I've heard agrees with the roof suggestion, although black spruce adjacent to the house is not a good thing. I had friends in both Manley and Willow who got through last year's fires okay by just soaking their roofs. Having a gas-powered water pump available is a good idea.

My SO is a fire researcher (remote sensing) and participated in the recent Alaska Fire Science Consortium confabulation at FWW, and thinks we're likely in for a bad year.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Did that this winter while the sap was down. Trees I had planted many years ago. They were too close to the house and had to (sadly) go.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I spliced a plug into the 220 cord for my well. I can disconnect it and hook it to my generator. No need for fancy disconnect switched, or a whole house generator.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

it appears that there are plenty of folks on here with more knowledge & experience than myself, so, what are decent options (if any)- if caught at remote cabin with escape route. Our cabin is not accessible by car or wheeler. On a river -our place is on a creek edge. I have no boat to leave & kids with me in the summer. We're in SE, so not as prone to fires as many of the forum members, but they happen. Last summer, there was a fire several miles upriver from us- but the wind blew the smoke down & it looked like it was right near us. Kind of scary. I sat phoned my husband asking for him to check it out & report if needed. The sky was just yellow & thick. If we couldn't ahold of anyone for a ride out- we'd be stuck- like the critters!

In Alaska Black Spruce is like gasoline while hardwoods rarely carry fire. A birch thicket that burns is almost unheard of. Besides escaping into the black fire crews in Alaska often think of hardwoods for security. Some years back during the annual Clear fire wind driven heat did burn a stand of hardwoods South of the Nenana airport. That is the exception though. What sort of forest is nearby? Are you near any slopes? Slopes are not good.

South East Alaska is not nearly as prone to wildfire as is the Interior. You should talk to the local State or Federal "Firewise" presenters. They would likely be able to offer site specific help and would be pleased to help you deal with your concerns. As for wildlife they often seem to escape wildfires but horse owners late in dealing with wildfire are often victims. Call your local Alaska Forestry or USFS. Your not in prime wild fire country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast