Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Guided hunting industry rewards itself through Alaska Board of Game

Default Guided hunting industry rewards itself through Alaska Board of Game

Couldn't post this article from my iPhone but it is worth reading, looks like they want their cake and eat it too while greatly dicouraging anyone with relatives to come up and hunt for certain species while putting no limits on other nonresident Hunter. What a shame if the article holds any truth sure looks like it's time to get rid of the guide restrictions then or make if the same for all nonresident Hunter's

I'd be cautious about terms such as "they". I'd agree that some things APHA has pushed are not in the interest of resident hunters, but it's been made clear by some guides that APHA does not speak for all guides.

Just putting the article out there as I have not seen it pop up yet, that's is why I added the last sentence about how much truth it holds. Would like to see guides not in support of this issue speak out on it though

What "article" I haven't seen a link, did I miss something?

Page 3 of 5 under Misc.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-f/..._2016-2017.pdf
    summary of BOG changes for 2016/2017

There's a thread in wildlife management about this exact same thing. Maybe combine them moderators?
    I would also caution about this article....it's one side. A very specific side. Not a neutral side, not a iffy side, a very specific agenda side.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    There's a thread in wildlife management about this exact same thing. Maybe combine them moderators?
    I would also caution about this article....it's one side. A very specific side. Not a neutral side, not a iffy side, a very specific agenda side.
    Yea, an agenda the vast majority of Alaska residents have been pushing for far too long. Far as I'm concerned the board of game finally showed their true colors and shot themselves in the foot. Alaskans asked for simple cuts to non-residents, and what the board did is simply show they are beholden to only commercial operators. Enough is enough, time for cuts and massive changes to the good ol' boys club of allocation Alaska's wildlife.

The article was about turner, restructuring the board and the guide industry. Very little was actually about resident allocation. Residents will get their mountains back, it's coming. It's going to be a prelude to disaster for all Alaskans shortly after.

I don't think it's the VAST majority of Alaskans, not all of them are on the forums getting pumped up.
    Master guide 212

I don't know if I would merge it. There are a lot of people that do not go to the wildlife management forum and do not know of the approved future rule that as a resident they would have to punch their tag for a relative to harvest a brown bear, mtn goat or sheep.

Meanwhile in reality, the PETA folks are grinning ear to ear...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'd be cautious about terms such as "they". I'd agree that some things APHA has pushed are not in the interest of resident hunters, but it's been made clear by some guides that APHA does not speak for all guides.
    Thank you, Brian. That is 100% spot-on.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Wouldn't need to stay in the management forum...no matter.

This article is actually pretty clever. Maybe I'm off as I'm not the one that wrote it, but it seems some guys realized that moaning in the forums didn't change anything, so gather some coin, get some backing and figure out a way to drag an individual thru the mud to discredit him and get his reinstatement dumped. In order to fill a seat on the board with someone you want,
    First remove someone you don't want. If the BOG isn't going to listen to different proposals then change the ears on the board. Best way to get stuff done.
    I do feel bad this was at the expense of turner. Gotta be rough to be a target of residents of the same state that you live off the land of.
    Master guide 212

Wouldn't need to stay in the management forum...no matter.

This article is actually pretty clever. Maybe I'm off as I'm not the one that wrote it, but it seems some guys realized that moaning in the forums didn't change anything, so gather some coin, get some backing and figure out a way to drag an individual thru the mud to discredit him and get his reinstatement dumped. In order to fill a seat on the board with someone you want,
    First remove someone you don't want. If the BOG isn't going to listen to different proposals then change the ears on the board. Best way to get stuff done.
    I do feel bad this was at the expense of turner. Gotta be rough to be a target of residents of the same state that you live off the land of.
    Jake,

That's exactly what I saw this as. It's not a reach at all to imagine that there was a meeting somewhere to discuss tactics, and one of the first was to change the composition of the board. I don't know Mr. Turner, or anything about him really. But it's disappointing to see it reduced to this level.

Honestly I am stunned after reading that article. It's not at all what I expected. The tragedy is that, for unthinking people, it's going to brand an entire group of hunters.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Jake,

That's exactly what I saw this as. It's not a reach at all to imagine that there was a meeting somewhere to discuss tactics, and one of the first was to change the composition of the board. I don't know Mr. Turner, or anything about him really. But it's disappointing to see it reduced to this level.

Honestly I am stunned after reading that article. It's not at all what I expected. The tragedy is that, for unthinking people, it's going to brand an entire group of hunters.

-Mike

thats the same thing I was thinking while sitting at the BOG public testimony, but watching from the Resident side.

If the BOG isn't going to listen to different proposals then change the ears on the board. Best way to get stuff done.
    Ding ding ding, we have a winner!.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Hmmm. I wonder if RHAK has someone they'd like to have on the BOG?

Ya think?

I did express my views in another thread on how I would like to see things done for residents. If those guides and board members don't speak for every guide then maybe the guides who disagree can speak up loud an clear! That would be refreshing.

Any time there is a commercial enterprise making money off of public resources the money almost always wins, ain't nothing new here. It is often done through allocations and lost opportunities.

How long can this thread go with out becoming "political"?

One would rightfully understand there is a difference between those who see a natural resource as something to be marketed and profit from, vs those who see it as something to enjoy and potentially sustain their families with. Both could potentially abuse or protect the resource...while espousing their respective interests. I'm not saying either view is right or wrong, but they are often divergent. It should be the role of the state to represent the will of the people (by majority) while protecting the resource and as many interests as possible.

The article is obviously emotional and toning on sarcastic. Looking beyond that aspect and seeing the facts is what matters to me. I'm just a 48er who hunts in Alaska sans-guide every year. I don't even want to know how many dollars I've spent there in many years, but it has been and continues to be worth every cent to me. I'm not guide-negative in any way. I do think it's illogical to presume the outfitting industry (as a whole) can be completely objective and rational about decisions which might have an impact on the wildlife they pursue, the hunters they seek to guide, and the money they stand to make. I've always understood most outfitting/guiding associations have a commerce viewpoint on management, while hunters view it from a sporting angle.

Politics is an ugly business. When one signs on for it, one's life becomes an open book. No need to feel bad for them, they'd better know the stakes coming in.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast