Thread: Using a portable garage for a wall tent

Default Using a portable garage for a wall tent

Wife and just bought some land off Kenny blvd in Willow. We don't ha e the money or planning to build a cabin yet. But we want to use theand this summer. I saw some tent garages at costco for cheap and had the idea of using one as a cheaper wall tent for a summer or two. Curious if anyone else has done this before and what the pros/cons would be. My concerns are with wildlife getting chewing it up when we're not there, although I don't really run into many bears up there and have only seen a few black bears. Of course we won't leave food or other scentsy items in it. And UV exposure.the or property is pretty heavily wooded and not in the flood plain. I'm thinking about building a platform to put it on so there's a flook and deck under it. Anyone have any insight on this?

On the other side of the lake from our cabin was what was called "the Costco tent" place. They had one of those portable garages set up. I saw if for several years, then slowly just the frame. I was never very close to it, but it seemed to last (as in standing) for at least a few years.

I have a friend up here in Yellowknife that has a portable garage he is using as a temp shelter and it works fine.
    Be advised that you should remove the cover for the winter as the snow loads will collapse it in a hurry unless you are there to knock the snow off every time it gets over 3" or so.

I have several of these shelters at the house to keep my toys out of the weather.
    The covers on my tents are lasting 5 to 6 years before they are breaking down and starting to leak because of age.
    My shelters are made by http://www.shelterlogic.com/

I put up a Weatherport structure on our property this winter. Added a wood stove and it makes an awesome temporary shelter. It's heavier duty than the portable garages but costs a lot more too. For just summer use I would do the portable garage one in a heartbeat. The ones at Costco got my attention initially, but they look to be really cheaply made. The Garage In a Box at Alaska Industrial Hardware is heavier fabric and has closer spacing between the uprights, giving greater strength. I have one set up in my back yard and it handled the Anchorage snow this winter just fine.

Another forum member uses one at his moose camp every fall. He removes the fabric before leaving and stores it in a metal drum. If you're only going to be using it in the summer that might be a practical way to go. You wouldn't have to worry about snow damage and would extend the life of the fabric by many years.

I put my Weatherport on a platform using concrete piers, pressure-treated beams, and 2x8 joists topped with 1/2" CDX plywood. I'm keeping my structure up permanently so I didn't worry about pressure treatment on the joists or plywood. If taking the tent down in the fall, I'd probably do a full pressure treated deck using 2x6 or other deck boards.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    . I have one set up in my back yard and it handled the Anchorage snow this winter just fine.
    You guys didn't get any snow this winter!!!!

My Costco shelter has lasted 9 years as a boat house, it's starting to get some holes in the roof and the poles bent some from a snow load I didn't get swept off quick enough. I saw a few neighbor's shelters collapse during the huge snow winter a few years back, but with constant sweeping mine survived. I wouldn't leave it up during the winter if you aren't around to clear the snow load but otherwise it's a nice shelter.

I've used one at moose camp as a cook tent the past few seasons. Got a small wood stove in it and its a great place to hang out, cook, dry out the gear instead of getting the wall tent all soiled and packed in. Some things I've noticed though;

It ain't no walltent - you think heat dissipates fast in a wall tent, these things get cold the second the fire goes out at night.

If you don't have some sort of spark arrestor on your stove pipe, little embers will rain right through the material like meteors.

It sucks not having any sort of window, I'm gonna sew one into one of the side panels for next year though.

Wind will bellow right up under the bottom of the walls, and through the small gaps where the side panels attach to the posts.....this means the bugs have a free pass as well.....
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    I've used one at moose camp as a cook tent the past few seasons. Got a small wood stove in it and its a great place to hang out, cook, dry out the gear instead of getting the wall tent all soiled and packed in. Some things I've noticed though;

It ain't no walltent - you think heat dissipates fast in a wall tent, these things get cold the second the fire goes out at night.

If you don't have some sort of spark arrestor on your stove pipe, little embers will rain right through the material like meteors.

It sucks not having any sort of window, I'm gonna sew one into one of the side panels for next year though.

Wind will bellow right up under the bottom of the walls, and through the small gaps where the side panels attach to the posts.....this means the bugs have a free pass as well.....

It ain't no walltent - you think heat dissipates fast in a wall tent, these things get cold the second the fire goes out at night. Yup

If you don't have some sort of spark arrestor on your stove pipe, little embers will rain right through the material like meteors. Yup definately

It sucks not having any sort of window, I'm gonna sew one into one of the side panels for next year though. There are models that have windows.

Wind will bellow right up under the bottom of the walls, and through the small gaps where the side panels attach to the posts.....this means the bugs have a free pass as well....You can cover the skirts with dirt or gravel and run screen across the back and front walls to keep the bugs out. Maybe even use one of those magnetic screens you see on the TV. OH, and Tuck tape seals those little gaps.