Thread: Bow fishing proposal and reminder of proposal deadline.

Default Bow fishing proposal and reminder of proposal deadline.

Proposal deadline is tonight for lower cook inlet regulatory changes. Meeting will be in Homer nest December.
    I'm putting in my archery salmon proposal for the third time. Here it is, if you're interested...

Issue:

Lack of opportunity for use of archery fishing tackle where there is no reasonable justification for prohibition.

With the eradication of pike from the kenai peninsula there is no longer anyplace to pursue the sport of bow fishing within reasonable distance of the Homer or Kenai/Soldotna areas.

Solution:

archery fishing tackle shall be allowed for the taking of salmon where open to snagging by regulation (June 24-Dec 31) in Kachemak bay as follows:

Inside a line extending from the marker defining the northwest boundary of the Nick Dudiak fishing lagoon extending roughly southeast to Peterson point (approx N 59 35' 51". W 151 16' 22") including the waters of halibut cove lagoon and the area locally known as "Mud Bay" at the base of the Homer spit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

don't know anything about the bow fishery but isn't it dangerous enough with leaded trebles being ripped around so now you want folks with bows & arrows trying to try and shoot the fish ??? It will look like a western movie !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Wouldn't this be in violation of city ordinance of firearm discharge?

Potbuilder.. That was one argument that the BOF had last go round.. I have not been able to find a single incident of anyone injured by an errant fish arrow. Conditions for bow fishing require the ability to actually see the fish, and the arrow is directed at a specific target. The only direction the arrow has momentum is AWAY from the archer, not the willy-nilly ripping of a treble being yanked BACK TOWARDS THE SHORE. Snagging doesn't even require seeing the fish! There are only three places in the bay that I think archery would be possible, and even then only under perfect conditions. Bow fishing is very popular in much of the country, not only for "rough" fish but also for salmon in some impoundments where there are landlocked chinook that run up rivers.
    As to discharging a firearm within city limits I don't know, bow fishing is covered under the fishing regs, not hunting and I don't know exactly how the city prohibition or definition of firearms is worded. The only reason I included mud bay is that once in a while in the fall it might be possible to try for silvers by wading out a bit. Nowhere else is within city limits. Easy enough to eliminate Mud bay if it were a sticking point.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Potbuilder.. That was one argument that the BOF had last go round.. I have not been able to find a single incident of anyone injured by an errant fish arrow. Conditions for bow fishing require the ability to actually see the fish, and the arrow is directed at a specific target. The only direction the arrow has momentum is AWAY from the archer, not the willy-nilly ripping of a treble being yanked BACK TOWARDS THE SHORE. Snagging doesn't even require seeing the fish! There are only three places in the bay that I think archery would be possible, and even then only under perfect conditions. Bow fishing is very popular in much of the country, not only for "rough" fish but also for salmon in some impoundments where there are landlocked chinook that run up rivers.
    As to discharging a firearm within city limits I don't know, bow fishing is covered under the fishing regs, not hunting and I don't know exactly how the city prohibition or definition of firearms is worded. The only reason I included mud bay is that once in a while in the fall it might be possible to try for silvers by wading out a bit. Nowhere else is within city limits. Easy enough to eliminate Mud bay if it were a sticking point.
    Dave in my minds eye all i can see is a circle of folks with bows at the fishing lagoon all shooting towards the middle of the lagoon and arrows skipping across the water to all the sides. You know what happens when free for all fishing happens, brains are left at home !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Dave in my minds eye all i can see is a circle of folks with bows at the fishing lagoon all shooting towards the middle of the lagoon and arrows skipping across the water to all the sides. You know what happens when free for all fishing happens, brains are left at home !!!
    I had the same picture, I have nothing against bow fishing at all and would like to see it added, possibly to al saltwater. Think about stalking the kelps beds on a flats bow load for a nice king, or trying to chum up lingcod from the deep, that sounds interesting.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

The proposal is specifically worded to EXCLUDE the lagoon. "Where open by regulation"...the lagoon is open by EO and is not within the described area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing about it.....

You wouldn't have a bunch of yahoos crowding in on top of you!

I have mixed feelings about this Dave. On one hand I think it would be awesome and fun. I love bowfishing. I grew up shooting carp, gar, and bowfin as a kid and I've also enjoyed shooting pike here in AK. Bowfishing is a lot of fun, a great sport, a great way to introduce kids into the sport of archery, and great practice for the seasoned archer as well. One downside I see to this is from a conservation position. I can see why pike are allowed to be bowfished, because they are an invasive species and also in several places you are not allowed to catch and release pike anyhow, so what difference does it make how you harvest them. But for salmon, which is a resource that is already struggling in certain areas of the state I think it might create a bad precedent for the resource. The other downside I see has to do with turning an already popular fishery into a something that might get out of control. For example, look at the Haul Road archery hunt. For anyone who has never been there, just know that it can be a circus during the peak season. A couple caribou 100 yards off the highway and you got 14 ditch divers with bows and arrows all huddled up on the side of the road waiting for a caribou to cross the road and get caught in all their crossfire. I would be afraid of the same thing happening if we opened up salmon for bowfishing. Just my two cents. But I commend you for all the hard work you have put into this. And I will be eagerly watching the results of your proposal because I am a lifelong archer and I have nothing but the upmost respect for the sport.

What is continually overlooked here is that the opportunity is horribly limited by tides and weather. Kings in halibut cove lagoon would be the coolest thing in my proposal, it's a terminal fishery and is generally cleaned out by the snaggers within a couple days of its opening on the 24th. You need a boat, it's tidal, and there are plenty opportunities in the same time frame for more efficient harvesting. The only other location I think is practical is for chums and pinks in front of humpy creek and again it's tidal, often murky, and even though it's open to snaggers I've NEVER seen anyone snagging there.
    The point is that my proposal opens very little opportunity, and what it does is limited hugely by access and weather restrictions.
    I would be surprised if twenty guys went to the trouble to even attempt it.

Off the Seldovia Slough Bridge'd be epic...and only a three-minute walk from the bar!...meant to ask you earlier, are there any draw weight mimimum/maximums?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Seldovia isn't in the area.

Oohhh. ...I see now....Peterson. ....no Tutka lagoon either? Bah. Humbug.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I like this proposal.
    It is limited enough I don't see it causing any real issues.
    It also is not targeting any fish stocks that are of concern at this point.
    When these area are open to snagging anyway whats the harm in it? Especially as Dave said it would have limited participation.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Bowfishing salmon sounds interesting , i used to bow fish a long time ago. It was fun. I dont think it would end up being a wild west thing. Its significantly harder to be sucessful. Any yohos who gave it a whirl, probably give up and go back to snagging. Nothing wrong with that, just easier. In the spirit of keeping concerned folks heard. Maybe a short window of assigned areas, safety zones and safety bowhunting class etc. Limited drawing permits for trial purposes. Keep an open mind, it could be fun, if youve never done it, dont "knock it". Lol. Tight lines n good luck to all.

I hope you're successful. Someone out of Sitka tried years ago and was shot down due to it not being customary and traditional as I recall. I think it should be open state wide on some of these humpy and dog watersheds. What a hoot that would be!