Thread: Helping a new hunter

Default Helping a new hunter

Was wondering if anyone is going hare hunting this weekend in the fairbanks north pole area, and wouldnt mind if an inexpeirenced hunter tagged along. I have gone out a couple times by myself with no luck. Just dont know where to look and the best ways to hunt them.

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of hunting. You are about to go on a grand adventure for a lifetime, one that will allow you to kill your own food instead of having others do it for you.

I'm not a snowshoe hare hunter, except for when I want to photograph them, but I've been around them for the better part of 50 years right here in the interior of Alaska. I'd suggest a number of things: educate yourself by checking out the Wildlife Notebook Series online at ADF&Gs website; talk to the folks at ADF&G and find out where they are seeing hare; and then spend lots of time out looking for them both early in the morning and late in the day. Hare will be found hanging out in thick willow brush, and you'll find thick willSoow brush along edges and all over the place. Along rivers, sloughs, along roads, you name it.

I'm mostly a bird hunter these days, but do remember taking some snowshoe hare on fun hunts. Be the student. Have a blast!

Jim

Thanks for the advice. I have been trying to do as much research as possible on the subject. Im a hands on learner so just getting out and practicing. I also love bird hunting im a grouse/ ptarmigan hunter but i want to try something new.
    I actually just bought the book uplnd hunting in alaska. If you happen to be the same jim mccan that wrote it.

Yes, sir, I am that Jim McCann. I hope you enjoy the book, and bird hunting in Alaska. It's a magical place, for sure.

Jim I also just purchased your book last night at the Kenai SCi banquet. Good read so far.

GoneAGain, Thanks! And I hope you enjoy the book. One of these days I'll stay at home and finish up the next one. But right now I'm out photographing grouse and ptarmigan, training dogs and getting ready for fly fishing. Thanks again!