Thread: Should I bring my boat?

Default Should I bring my boat?

Iíll be staying a week in Sewardfrom Jul 30 to Aug 5. I have a halibut charter booked for Jul 31. Iím debating whether or not to bring my boat. Itís a 19 ft Weldcraft with a 115 and kicker. Iíve got some family obligations to attend to the week Iím in Seward, but I think I could swing a couple of full days on the water. Iím dragging my toy hauler down and will be staying at Millers Landing.

Never having fished Seward and wanting to target rock fish, can it be productive plinking around Callisto/Bulldog/Bear Glacier areas? I wonít have a lot of time to explore but Iím thinking a couple of days are better than nothing.

If the weather is nice with flat seas, a 19th weldcraft will be ok. Just know that the wind picks up from the south in the afternoons most days with 2' or so chop. Very bumpy ride home. Been there, done that. Little early for silvers up close. I found some rockfish in Mary's Bay in about 60' of water.

Been going over old Seward threads and afternoon chop is a recurring theme. I had several days last August coming back from the Seldovia side in Homer during the afternoon rip Ė worst day wasprobably 6 foot of chop and very confused seas. My boat did fine and took the crap pretty well, and other than getting a little pounded I wasnít too nervous. A couple questions for those who might know:

Would Seward, on a bad day, be comparable to Homer spit rip?

And as a point of reference, about how far is Rugged Island from Lowell Point?

Thanks -

I've fished each August in my 20' Willie predator. Going out past Fox island and only once did I not heed the afternoon wind.The bite was good and I waited too late and took me about 1 1/2 hours to run back to the harbor. go out at daybreak, spend 6 hours and be comfy riding back.

Bring the boat. It sounds like you have some experience with your boat in the salt. I've ran an 18 foot Jetcraft in the bay for years with no problems. As mentioned, check the weather and then check it again before heading out. Six foot chop in the bay near Sunny, Hat, Hive and Fox is rare. As mentioned, normally 2-3 foot chop.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thanks guys Ė

Found a lot of good info through past threads and comments. Iím only home a few weeks every 5 or 6 months so I donít get a lot of time to go and figure things out by just doing it, so I really appreciate this kind of info. My few days in Seward will be all the boating/fishing Iíll get this summer, so hope to make it productive and safe.

For anybody else looking for Res Bay info, I had no idea this page was on this site. Good info on locations, distances and potential species. Very helpful in my research! Thanks.

http://www.alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/seward-saltwater-fishing

The trip from Seldovia back into Homer on a day with ripping tides and a 20 knot southwest seabreeze is far more challenging than Seward is in the afternoon. Pay attention, listen to radio chatter and you will be fine. Enjoy your time off at home and good luck with the fish.

Also keep an eye on the tide. The afternoon chop can stack up when the tide is bucking the wind.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it