Thread: A shooting family

Default A shooting family

Three of my grown children were home for the weekend along with 7 grandkids all 6 and under. My son and 2 son-in-laws are almost as gun crazy as I am.

The weather was nice and we got to shoot up a bunch of shotgun shells at them little orange flying saucers. I got presented a spanking new Mossberg Silver Reserve II 20 ga over and under. It was also anounced that I would be going to the Dakota's on some pheasant hunts. This means one thing....EKC must have another bird dog. I raised a very good line of Mosegaurd short haired pointers for 25-30 years. I treated some poor folk pretty good as far as seeing to it that they had good dogs to hunt with. They ain't so poor anymore and since I turned my lineage of dogs over to them they told EKC to come pick out a pup when the next batch hatches. Yee Haw...just got to convince the Mrs. as she isn't the dog fancier like Mrs Smokey.

We shot....they shot up scads of them 22's that some of you think I'm hoarding. It isn't hoarding no matter how many you have if there is only enough for a dozen or so such shoots. Two of my grandsons ages 5 and 6 each have a Savage MKI single shot 22 and I only know of one way for them to become proficient. My son brought his new 22 target gun that I put together for him over the winter. It's based on a 10/22 with lots of fine parts from Brownells attatched. He was shooting dime sized groups at 50 yards with cheap ammo.

I didn't shoot one single rimfire round. PaPa just stood back and kept an eye on everything to make sure everything stayed safe and sent stern reminders if someone strayed even a smidget. The grandkids know that PaPa can act as immature as a 5 year old when we are playing in the back yard but everything is serious(but fun) when guns are involved.

Sounds like a fun weekend my friend! If'n ya give me a days notice I might just drive over and pick your butt up and haul ya to the Dakota's for a bird hunt as its been a few years since I did that! I have hunted quite a bit on the Sioux reservation that encompasses both South and North Dakota - great bird hunting for sure!
    Tell the Mrs. they make good pillows - our Heinz 57 pup was propping up momma's legs last night!
    MaryNHoneyBun.jpg
    If'n she still won't give in I will bring my yellow Lab along !
    Callie-1.jpg
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Sounds like a fun weekend my friend! If'n ya give me a days notice I might just drive over and pick your butt up and haul ya to the Dakota's for a bird hunt as its been a few years since I did that! I have hunted quite a bit on the Sioux reservation that encompasses both South and North Dakota - great bird hunting for sure!
    Tell the Mrs. they make good pillows - our Heinz 57 pup was propping up momma's legs last night!
    MaryNHoneyBun.jpg
    Callie-1.jpg
    Smoke, I have a 12x 12 6ft high kennel and the doghouse is a nice 8x10 shed with a heated box in the corner. I'm purdy sure there is room for a bed in that shed too. My lazyboy and a tv might fit as long as it weren't a great big tv. Hmmm might be on to something here. I wonder if I have to get a building permit to buid a gun room on a shed on skids.

My fovoritest shootgun right now is this Mossberg Silver Reserve II. I always give my dogs gun names. I bought a Henry 22 a week before I got my JackRussell/King CHuarles Cavalier Cross so I named him Hank. My next bird dog will be named Mossberg and I'll call him Moss for short. It knida kills two birds with one stone. However ya gotta promise me that if we's bird hunting together and I call my dog by his proper given name you won't say "What?" Least wise don't make a habit of it!.....Deal?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

You Flat-Landers sure do talk funny.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

That would be a fine name for a bird dog EKC, I will bring a pocket full of treats so he stays by my side - matter a fact leave that scatter gun in the case and just plan on spending your free time picking up the roosters as I lay siege on them!
    If'n ya get out there and end up hunting on state land remember to have some steel shot along as that's the rule, cost me a day of hunting trying to find some one trip and stores is a fer piece apart in them prairies. Private land you are still good with lead the last I knew... A load of 3 in 6's followed by 3 in 4's should work real well in that 20ga...
    My grandsons ( 7 and 9 ) were up all last weekend and we went pack'n heavy to the timber with a Daisy Red Rider and a Benjamin Pellet pistola! Wern't much game to be had, for some reason critters take kindly to a pack of kidz a chattering and walking fast , but that saved me the skinning chores I reckon...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Fun time for sure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

a Daisy Red Rider and a Benjamin Pellet pistola! Wern't much game to be had, for some reason critters take kindly to a pack of kidz a chattering and walking fast , but that saved me the skinning chores I reckon...
    Ahh, da memories, dey come back at me.

It was my next older brudder that got the Red Ryder. I was the LITTLE brother, and got the Single Shot BB gun.

It cocked by hinging at the stock and receiver. Then you loaded it by dropping a BB down the barrel. (a ML ??) I reckon so.

I would put a bunch of BBs in my mouth, and cock the gun and spit one down the barrel. I got pretty fast at it. Probably as fast as my brother with the LA.

Funny thing, though, I've never seen another BB gun like it. Maybe, wasn't popular, but mine lasted for many years.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

MaryNHoneyBun.jpg
    Callie-1.jpg
    ahhh, yellow labs, I'm a fan. I sure miss my lil fella. He weren't a hunting dog but a guy couldn't ask for a better hiking buddy.

EKC, sounds like you had a great weekend. Nothin better than the little ones following in our foot steps. I've got mine shooting a bow now, it really is just a toy compound but he's learning the fundamentals. He's hitting targets down the hall way. 2 years and we'll break out the pellet rifle.

Sounds like a great time! My memories of being raised in Iowa are ducks, pheasants, squirrels, bunnies and burning up lots of cheap .22 rounds. There was some fox hunting with my Dad and the deer were scarce.

I will spend Saturday in a Hunter Education Class with my 10 year old Grandson. Thank You Lord!

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Sounds like a great time! My memories of being raised in Iowa are ducks, pheasants, squirrels, bunnies and burning up lots of cheap .22 rounds. There was some fox hunting with my Dad and the deer were scarce.

I will spend Saturday in a Hunter Education Class with my 10 year old Grandson. Thank You Lord!
    Where'bouts in Iowa was ya reared up.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Ahh, da memories, dey come back at me.

It was my next older brudder that got the Red Ryder. I was the LITTLE brother, and got the Single Shot BB gun.

It cocked by hinging at the stock and receiver. Then you loaded it by dropping a BB down the barrel. (a ML ??) I reckon so.

I would put a bunch of BBs in my mouth, and cock the gun and spit one down the barrel. I got pretty fast at it. Probably as fast as my brother with the LA.

Funny thing, though, I've never seen another BB gun like it. Maybe, wasn't popular, but mine lasted for many years.

Smitty of the North
    Smitty, I got a new Daisy for several years running. I always got the next step down from the Red Rider. It was called a Daisy Buck. To load you turned the end of the barrel and a little hole opened up just below the sight. I can remember spitting a mouth full of BBS into that hole. It cut way down on the spillage.

That would be a fine name for a bird dog EKC, I will bring a pocket full of treats so he stays by my side - matter a fact leave that scatter gun in the case and just plan on spending your free time picking up the roosters as I lay siege on them!
    If'n ya get out there and end up hunting on state land remember to have some steel shot along as that's the rule, cost me a day of hunting trying to find some one trip and stores is a fer piece apart in them prairies. Private land you are still good with lead the last I knew... A load of 3 in 6's followed by 3 in 4's should work real well in that 20ga...
    My grandsons ( 7 and 9 ) were up all last weekend and we went pack'n heavy to the timber with a Daisy Red Rider and a Benjamin Pellet pistola! Wern't much game to be had, for some reason critters take kindly to a pack of kidz a chattering and walking fast , but that saved me the skinning chores I reckon...
    Sounds like my old dog Pete. When we got to the field he forgot where his food and shelter came from.. That dog loved my dad and hunted in front of him exclusively.