Thread: Tumbling media woes.

Default Tumbling media woes.

This last batch of corn cob media I got from Dillon Precision is so dusty it leaves a film on all my brass that is a mess to clean up. This brass is not filthy when it goes in the tumbler either. I don't remember having this problem before. Any one know where I can find some walnut shell media ?

Try Grainger
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Go to your local pet store and get Lizard Litter. It has very small granuals and doesn't get jammed in primer pockets like the bigger stuff and is a bunch cheaper than buying the actual brass cleaning media. It also pours out of small neck cases like 223 easier than the big grains. Also cut up a clothes dryer sheet into 1" or so squares and put that in with the lizzard litter to help keep the media cleaner. Change out the dryer sheet now and then. I also use a couple of spoons of auto rubbing compound and a teaspoon of Cerium Oxide ( rock polishing powder) every couple of loads of brass.

A few years back I bought a 30lb. bucket of walnut shell media from Sporty's. They probably still carry it.

A couple of used sheets of Bounce will take most of the crud out of dirty media. I might have to try the polishing compound suggestion too.

I'm impressed so far with my new ultrasonic cleaner. I've been alternating between dry and wet. Probably go wet once the walnut media runs out.

I think I got mine at Sportsman on Old Seward.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I use the ultra sonic, dry them and then in the walnut shell if I want really pretty brass.

This has worked for me for a number of years. The 20/40 grit won't clog small primer holes. price is good for 40lb bag
    http://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Corn-Cob-Blast-Media-WP58830/_/N-10cz/Ntt-blast+media?EndecaKeyword=blast+media&NLSCM=14&sea rchBar=true&searchRedirect=blast+media&sst=All&s_p p=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/6YY26_AS01?$smthumb$
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Like rbuck. Lizard Litter at the pet store. It's walnut.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I ended up with media from Grainger. I will also try the lizard Litter. I think my old Dillion Media is deteriorating.

I really like the stainless steel media set up, it cleans out primer pockets exceptionally well.

I was reading about the steel media in a Lyman add. So it works and cleans up good?

I now have walnut and corn cob media galore and also picked up a bunch of corn cob media from the pet store at a much cheaper price.

I went to the stainless wet media exclusively. Cleans better and in less time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

+1 on the SS media. I got this one and haven't looked back. Also not only does it perfectly clean primer pockets but your brass will look brand spankin new. http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arse.../dp/B00HTN4R6O

Quote Originally Posted by Adison View Post
    I went to the stainless wet media exclusively. Cleans better and in less time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS is the way to go but you can find walnut the cheapest at AIH as sand blasting media and it comes in different grits. If your in Wasilla area I'll give a few tumblers full to try. PM me if interested.

I agree on the SS. It lasts forever and everything goes down the drain rather than in the air. It is very quick and the pockets are clean as a whistle. I tumble for 75 minutes in warm water with Dawn, Armorall Wash & Wax, a dash of Lemi-Shine using the Rock Tumbler from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-dr...ler-67632.html