Thread: Cantwell to Paxson

Default Cantwell to Paxson

Anybody dare guess when the road from Cantwell to Paxson will open? I am assuming it is closed in winter.

It is never closed, just not maintained. I was in Paxson today and Cantwell yesterday and traveled the entire highway via snow machine. The plowing is beginning tomorrow, and I expect with no overflow this year, and warm temps they will make quick work of it. I expect Cantwell to our place it should be plowed open by Wednesday/Thursday.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

According to the DOT 511 website, it is closed until May 1. As Denali Hunter said. It will likely open early this year due to a warm winter and spring. The DOT website is usually pretty good about updates on the spring opening.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/

The highway is never closed. You can drive 10 to 15 miles in from Cantwell right now. They are beginning to plow this morning. They always begin the road opening around April 12th. Last year we were open on April 6th, out to Cantwell. 3 winters ago we had so much snow that it didn't get fully open until the end of May. I expect we'll see them in a few short days. I've never seen the DOT website be correct... lol! I will post a new post as soon as I se a plow go by. The snow is nearly completely gone from my property, and I'll be pushing was little is left off our driveway today.

Quote Originally Posted by rilasp12 View Post
    According to the DOT 511 website, it is closed until May 1.
    "denalihunter" lives on the Denali Highway (the very, very awesome Alpine Creek Lodge) and is probably about as authoritative as it gets about the state of the highway and who and what's been through lately.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like maybe yes, maybe no. I will check in again next week before I visit. Thanks again!

The road is open from Cantwell to Alpine Creek as of last night! Not sure on how the progress is from the Paxson side.

That's great. My brother in law and I will probably stop by during the next 3 weeks just to say hey and maybe nibble a lunch. Thanks for the reports.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    The road is open from Cantwell to Alpine Creek as of last night! Not sure on how the progress is from the Paxson side.
    Do you know the story on the mauling out your way?
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

I know the story well, but it's not mine to tell. I can say the hunter is in the hospital and stable.

Roger that, saw they updated an article on him in ADN. 77, wow, hope I'm still in the game at 77
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Well since DenaliHunter stated that it was never closed to a guy from Idaho, I figured I better let the guy from Idaho know that yes, it is closed (to highway vehicles) during the winter. I knew what DenaliHunter meant (open to snowmachines, skiers, etc) but I'm not sure if some guy from Idaho would, and I doubt he is riding his snow machine from Idaho to Alaska.

I give up.... Thought I answered clearly, but to heck with it. I don't want people to think the highway is "Closed" when in fact it is open for public travel.... it's just not maintained. If I didn't make that clear enough, I don't know what else to say.

You guys are way too sharp for me on here!

So what is the status of the road tonight? I did understand that the road is always open, no boats, pickups or camels when the snow gets deep. Looking forward to spending time in your driveway DH.

It has been plowed from Cantwell to at least the lodge. Not sure how far past that or if it has been cleared all the way to Paxson. The better question might be, does your rental car company allow you to take their vehicle on that road?

Road is plowed from Cantwell to Maclaren Lodge. From Paxson, it's plowed to about MP 30. That leaves a 12 mile stretch to still be plowed. That update was from a day ago, so they have had another day to plow, so I'm guessing they got it, but have not confirmed. We'll know when we see the first car from the East!

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    It has been plowed from Cantwell to at least the lodge. Not sure how far past that or if it has been cleared all the way to Paxson. The better question might be, does your rental car company allow you to take their vehicle on that road?
    Dont ask, don't tell. Actually I specifically asked about this road and pointed to it on the map. Was told it was alright. Did it last year too, and the year before that.

thanks for the report DH. Heading for the cabin on Friday to see how fast I can get my work done, then I will head that direction.