Thread: New (to me) 357 reolver, Ruger Redhawk

Default New (to me) 357 reolver, Ruger Redhawk

Have been looking for a 357 revolver. The g/f has a 686, 6 inch barrel I liked. Had been looking for a 4 or 5 inch S&W or Ruger GP, with a Taurus being another possibility.
    Acquired a Ruger Redhawk this week. 5 in. barrel. Considerably heavier pistol than the 686. Shot it and the 686 today. Didn't seem like much difference shooting 38s, but noticeably different with the 357 mags. Here's a pic, 686 on top and ruger on bottom:

Not too many Redhawks in 357 on the internet. I think the gun has some collector value.
    Looking for advice on cleaning and lubing. Just got done clean and lube both and used Hoppes 9 and CLP lube.
    Where is the serial number on Redhawks? Also thinking it could use a trigger job. Figure I can do that myself if I know where to buy the parts/kit, etc. Where can a neophyte get a trigger kit?
    Thanks for any help!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Serial number should be on the bottom of the grip frame. Used to have the GP100 version of that gun... I lube any moving parts, no different than a single action, and always keep a drop of heavier oil on gas ring and ratchet same as a single action too. Can't speak to a trigger kit.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Nice revolver...I like Redhawks a great deal.

If you want to try a DIY trigger job, just drop in a Wolff spring kit. It will run about 20 bucks. Otherwise a decent gunsmith will likely be a better option.

It's been a while since I've shopped for that kind of work, but Teddy Jacobson used to be one of the best around. Back in the day, most gunsmiths could do a reasonable trigger job on a revolver- not so sure about that anymore since revolvers have fallen from popularity to a large degree.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Be careful with lighter a lighter spring in the Redhawk. You take the chance of a light primer strike.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Here's how you do a trigger job on a Redhawk

http://singleactions.proboards.com/t...edhawk-trigger
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Congratulations, you've acquired a much sought after pistol but I've always considered the Redhawks at the upper edge of weight I'd like to carry in .357 caliber. I much prefer my S&W 27s, sometimes they even feel heavy after a long day in the timber.
    Enjoy your fine revolver. Funny how those rubber maids(Pachmyrs) no body likes seem to end up on Redhawks?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

I have the 7.5 inch version. Sweet shooting revolver. They were only offered in .357 for the first few years.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I just traded into my second rather unique Redhawk myself a .41 Hunter model

Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    I just traded into my second rather unique Redhawk myself a .41 Hunter model

Steve
    With lighter bullets the 41 makes deer just as dead as a 44. I'm a big fan of the 41mag.