Thread: Sheefish - Yukon Tributaries

Default Sheefish - Yukon Tributaries

So this summer I am on a mission to catch a sheefish on the fly. Caught some before in spin gear in Minto Flats, but looking for advice on what patterns to use and where to go. Heard some mention of the Dall River above the bridge on the Yukon, but not sure on timing. Have a jet boat and based in Fairbanks. Any tips would be much appreciated!

I have no idea, but that is on my bucket list. Let me know when and where and I would love to make the trip up from Anchorage.

I've heard bait patterns fished deep, look for what people fish for kings (I'm not saying this from experience just what I've heard from others who've caught fish). I think anywhere close to town (and by close to town I do mean off the Yukon) is not going to be a sure thing, however you should be able to find lots of pike no problem, and if you want a partner I'm free!

While I don't have specifics as far as locations since I have not fished them in the Yukon, I would target river/slough confluences that have clear or tannin water entering the silty water.

http://extra.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Fis...itor/?mode=awc

Use this to find places ADF&G lists Sheefish, and then use it to find places where they list coho and chinook and chum - sheefish eat lots of juvenile salmon and small whitefish. So if there are spots where Sheefish and sheefish food overlap that might be productive waters.

Fly patterns that are bright white on sides/belly and flashy with big eyeballs and a dark back would be what I tie on first. Something weighted that will get down or a short sink tip to put it where the fish are. Dolly Lama, big clousers, or other streamers?

Good luck and lets see some pics one way or another!

While it is certainly possible to catch a Sheefish on a fly, you will have to wait for them to get up the clear tributaries. If you don't want to wait until later in the Summer, the mouth of the Kobuk at breakup, is a Sheefish feeding frenzy. They are feeding on smolt and other young fish that are flushing out.

Thanks for the info! Going to poke around this summer and I'll give a report on what I find (or don't find)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default No luck

First Report:

Hit some tributaries on the Upper Yukon this past weekend. Skunked. Despite the early weather, I think it was a bit early with super cold water temps. Still some huge sandbars with massive icebergs on them. Even the pike we caught were sluggish and few and far between. Can't complain though, awesome weather and explored some great clearwater tributaries. Overall put 185 miles on the odometer.

Attachment 89327Attachment 89328

Large baitfish patterns in blue/white, green/white, and similar is what I always heard and read. Float on upper kobuk is my white elephant. Something always came up. But a deep sinking tip, type III-IV, and a bait fish pattern would be in my quiver. Maybe some Mylar polar flash clousers in 1/0-3/0, saltwater flies. I just got some in from Texerpd (or similar name) on EBay for fly fishing here in coastal NC. Bought a saltwater boat recently for chasing redfish, 22' Bay Rider with 150 Yamaha, twin power poles. It ain't Alaska, but got to make due with what you got. Hah.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.