Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw a once in a lifetime fight between a brown bear and wolverines

Thumbs up Saw a once in a lifetime fight between a brown bear and wolverines

This weekend my buddy and I went looking for black bear in Turnagain Pass; didn't see any black bear but say a phenomenal fight between two wolverines and a brown bear-wolverines won. At first we couldn't tell if it was two cubs playing, but they weren't friendly and we realized they were actually fighting; a boar fighting a cub; or a sow trying to run off its cubs. It was just a mess of fur and they were rolling hundreds of yards before they got up and re-convened and we got a better look. When they broke up we saw the tail on one of the wolverines and we realized it was two big wolverines fighting a brown bear. Fight ended when both wolverines rolled the bear down the hill and it split-couldn't tell if it was a young sow or boar, but it wasn't big.

Never did see a black bear, saw one fox though.

BTW, snowmachiners have trashed Turnagain Pass, see my comments in the snowmachine forum.

Tim

What a crock of dung!

Cool are you sure?

I would have to agree with Gunner. A wolverine needs about 500 sq miles as range and does not tolerate other wolverines very well. The idea of 2 wolverines working together is a stretch but really I wasn’t there and who knows, pass me another Beer!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Your best source for the finest rafts, canoes and camp rental equipment.
    Kotzebue Alaska

No ****. Couldn't believe it. Didn't have a video camea and it was too far to take a pict with a $5 disposable, although I did try to take a pict through the spotting scope-doubt it turned out. About an hour after the fight the wolverines were hanging out in the same patch of ground where they rolled the bear. Not that I give a **** if you two believe me, but it was the ****dest thing I've ever seen. I doubt I'll ever see something like that again.

Tim

PS: Guess you experts haven't seen it all!

Was an awesome sight to see, no doubt. I haven't seen two wolverines together either, but I have seen tracks of 4 that were eating a moose they killed.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

My initial assumption when we figured out they were wolverines were that they may have been a mating pair. That's my best guess. I know they're solitary and won't supposedly attack a predator larger than itself, but that's what they did. Like I said, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Tim

Default Awesome Sight, I Can Say....

Tccak71,

You're a lucky man to have seen that, regardless of what others may believe or not! I saw 2 wolverines driving a large bull caribou away from their den while hunting off the Nushagak River in 2002, it was terrific! By the time we got in the boat, crossed the river and hiked up there (about 2.5 mile jaunt in hippers), all the animals were long gone...but it was still an awesome sight.

Seeing two of them kicking tail on a young griz, would have been better yet!

Michael

I didn't mean to get too defensive earlier, but man I couldn't believe nobody believed me. It was a phenomenal sight. My buddy and I said that we could spend every minute in the outdoors for a hundred years and never see something like that again!

Tim

Default when wolverines attack ...

Default I can confirm

Hey Tim, you know what I say about "experts"...

I was sitting right next TCC, looking through my own 'nocs. We were literally saying that no one would believe us as the fight rolled down the hill. It's true though, they absolutly whipped that poor bear! I've never seen anything like that, never will again and probably never will know anyone who's seen similar. Truly terrific.

Hey gunner, call me a liar too mr. "expert" ( I do mean to sound defensive)

Default I can confirm

double post

Now that's something to see!

Check out the wolverine fights posted on youtube, that's some cool photage right there.

I would bet there are alot of undocumented and unseen events in nature we never have witnessed before, than just a handful of generations of men in the wilderness of alaska. Nature does some weird crap, and just cause we havent seen it before, does not mean it hasnt ever happened before. So i believe ya Tim.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Default good stuff, Tim

Likely could have been a mating pair.

Take that camera for the next one in a million to dispell the doubters....

Frank

Could have been siblings...
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Well I really stepped in it this time! Sorry to ruffle your feathers, I really thought this was a troll. It wasn't the fact that two wolverines were together that I doubted, I once saw three wolverines on a caribou kill in the Alaska Range. It's just hard to picture two 35# animals putting the run on a brown bear. I guess strange things happen in the land of the midnite sun. Come to think of it, I've seen a sight or two while out hunting that I'm sure no one would believe. That's what makes hunting in the Great Land so great.

I'll bet on the loser!

Dude, even if it happened as you say, and I'm sure it did, all you've done is perpetuate the myth that woverines fight, and beat up on grizzlies.

Young or old, your bear was not looking for a fight. The same way he/she would run away from us if we went in kicking and screaming. But, on the day that bear decides to stand ground, your two wolverines, their offspring, and their offspring's offspring would NOT stand a chance in that fight.

You saw something unique. A National Geographic Moment. And, something that would make Walt Disney proud. But, I will continue in my belief that when the fight is on, as in when both combatants are willing to go the distance, I'll bet on the bear 100 times out of 100.

Talking those silly wolverines

I was spotting for caribou one day when two (2) wolverines came shuffling along a bou trail, and then they went downhill into a gulley. I ran over to watch them some more, and the back one would tuck his head between his legs and roll for about 15-20 feet, get to his feet and then slide some more on one side of his head, then the other. He kept doing this a couple more times, while being totally ignored by the front one. Talk about acting silly...I presume the front one was a female in heat and the back one was trying to impress her...from what I seen, it didn't work. I shoulda remembered that, cause when I tried it later in the Red Dog Saloon, it didn't work for me either.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Come to think of it, I once saw a television show, (Marty Stoffer, or similar, cant remember the host) that had on file a grizzlie bear trying to get at a badger in the midwest. Well, to me the Grizzlie bear looked like he was trying to have a meal, but the badger wouldnt have none of it. They said badgers have one mean temper when riled, and even the bear didn't mess with it after it had its snout bitten. And I am hearing a wolverine can be meaner.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

never seen a wolverine before, but i do know that i dont want to have one pissed off at me.

I wish i could have seen that fight.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast