Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Clicking noise cranking my Ranger

  1. #1
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default Clicking noise cranking my Ranger

    I've charged my 2008 Polaris Ranger 700 6x6 battery until its fully charged with a battery charger (it is garage stored) and I get a 'clicking' sound (coming from the engine side of the middle of the firewall) when I try and start it, EXCEPT when I 'jump it' using my $70 jump starter/flashlight/air compressor--fires right up then. Run it for 20-30 minutes and try to start it without the jump start and back to square one and more 'clicking.'

    Battery was new 5/2013 and has been stored in a heated garage, so it was NOT removed for the winter. I feel like I have another problem besides the battery. (The charger and amp checker say it's fully charged.)

    Any help?

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    1,179

    Default

    First did you check to ensure that all of the connections are in good condition as in good and clean?
    Second, even though the battery seems to be 'fully' charged, it is three years old. Most ATV batteries take a beating with all of the draw that gets put on them. It sounds to me like the battery may have an internal short and needs to be replaced. Another option might be that the starter has a 'larger draw' then normal and the battery just can not turn it over. The 'jump starter' that you are using might have more amps to turn the starter over.
    Need to do a little more trouble shooting, but I would suspect the battery needs to be replaced.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    First did you check to ensure that all of the connections are in good condition as in good and clean?
    Second, even though the battery seems to be 'fully' charged, it is three years old. Most ATV batteries take a beating with all of the draw that gets put on them. It sounds to me like the battery may have an internal short and needs to be replaced. Another option might be that the starter has a 'larger draw' then normal and the battery just can not turn it over. The 'jump starter' that you are using might have more amps to turn the starter over.
    Need to do a little more trouble shooting, but I would suspect the battery needs to be replaced.
    AK Bearcat said it all, Replace the battery.

  4. #4
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Sounds more like a bad connection than battery. Either dirty or just loose connection.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern alaska
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Load test the battery. Any number of places in ANC could do it. 3 year old battery doesn't mean it is still good. Clicking solenoid says "low voltage" 90% of the time...the other 10% is bad connection/solenoid.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Load test the battery. Any number of places in ANC could do it. 3 year old battery doesn't mean it is still good. Clicking solenoid says "low voltage" 90% of the time...the other 10% is bad connection/solenoid.
    That makes sense, but before replacing the battery I would top charge it, make sure that all the connections to both the battery (terminals) and to the solenoid are tight. When the machine is parked during the winter, I would let a Battery Tender top-charge it every couple of weeks.

  7. #7
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Good advice. I assumed the batt was good because it would charge. Got some more things to assess it looks like.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Good advice. I assumed the batt was good because it would charge. Got some more things to assess it looks like.

    Just because a battery will take a charge does not mean it's good. A battery that is not properly charge will build up a layer of sulfide on the plates also a shorted cell will take a charge and start a vehicle two or three time before it dead.

  9. #9
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Looks like the battery is dead.

    What are my options for a new battery? Do I really need to give Polaris $150 or is there another better/more suitable aftermarket option? Just surprised this battery is dead in under 3 years. I'm not impressed with the AGM batts. Can I get a 'regular' acid/distilled water battery for my Ranger anymore?

    Tim

  10. #10
    Member 2dawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    642

    Default

    A bad battery after 3 years is not really uncommon, batteries plus will Probrably save you some money.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    You can replace the AGM battery with a so call normal wet cell. Your performance will go down unless you use a bigger battery. It would help to know what cause the battery to go bad was it the way your using it or just a bad battery? If you have LED lights or use the winch a lot that could have shorten it life depending on how the ATV is used.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    A bad battery after 3 years is not really uncommon, batteries plus will Probrably save you some money.
    It does not have to be that way, the solution is to follow the manufacture instruction on how to maintain the battery in question. I don't keep a log on how long my batteries last but it not uncommon to get 5-6 years of life.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •