Thread: New boat

Default New boat

If you would be building a new sport boat for ocean fishing, what length/width would you go with? And what would you power it with?

30x10 twin 300 Mercury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Basargin boatbuilders looking for a new market ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Possibly in the near future.

No year round Merc dealer/service in Homer where we be on da water 12/12.
    Obviously never a Honda either so Suzuki 175's on a 27-30 X 9.5-10.5 mid- moderate deadrise. Yamaha 200's seem to be decent but fact specs say they sposed to run on premimum fuel. Friends with 2 identical boats favor their 175 Suzuki over the 200 Yamaha. Better gph, speed, swings bigger props.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Max,
    Glass or metal hulls ??? If you already have the molds what russian style hull is it ?? or if metal whose hull design will be used ?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Obviously never a Honda either so Suzuki 175's on a 27-30 X 9.5-10.5 mid- moderate deadrise. Yamaha 200's seem to be decent but fact specs say they sposed to run on premimum fuel. Friends with 2 identical boats favor their 175 Suzuki over the 200 Yamaha. Better gph, speed, swings bigger props.
    What's wrong with a Honda?

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Max,
    Glass or metal hulls ??? If you already have the molds what russian style hull is it ?? or if metal whose hull design will be used ?
    They will be glass boats, out of newly designed molds built from scratch. You will see them on here if they ever do get built.

so you guys are building the plugs for them or do you have a hull that will be modified ?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Gonna be building the plugs.

Thanks for answering all my questions and good luck once you get a hull laid up and poped. I fished PWS & Cordova for many years so i probably know some of your relatives hey who knows i might know you also. I had a Buffalo bowpicker named Deception.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

AKhuntfishtrap,

Another important question to ask is will the boat be trailered, and that will drive your your other answers. A sport boat that is slipped is way different than a trailered boat. Most sport boat guys are looking for a Basargin-bargin, and will be shopping on price comparing SeaSport/Osprey stuff. But lots of sport folks are totally embracing outboards vs a sterndrive setup. I really like the Basargin commercial boats a lot.

I'd say what can you build for me for $65k (without power or a trailer) that is outboard powered, and how big is it?

Sobie2

The prices will probably only be set when the molds are built so I wouldn't really know. And the size isn't decided yet. If the commercial boats business will slow down that's when we would start on the sport boats, so I'll try to keep you guys updated on what happens. Thanks for the comments

Default Price is key

Everyone has different needs and there are already dozens of choices in every imaginable size and layout. The key is pricing. If you can build a really stout boat that has most of the Alaskan desired features at the price Sobie mentioned, you'd sell a bunch of boats. A $65,000 boat with $25,000 for power, plus the trailer brings you in under $100,000.00.

Quote Originally Posted by truesubsistence View Post
    Everyone has different needs and there are already dozens of choices in every imaginable size and layout. The key is pricing. If you can build a really stout boat that has most of the Alaskan desired features at the price Sobie mentioned, you'd sell a bunch of boats. A $65,000 boat with $25,000 for power, plus the trailer brings you in under $100,000.00.
    Well. wait a minute, size has not been determined...

Quote Originally Posted by 300 Ultra View Post
    What's wrong with a Honda?
    Bad design by standing an automotive engine on end; the 150's and bigger are notorious for thrust bearing failure. Hear there's lawsuits & comlaints filed against Honda. For the under a 100 hr a year rec user and really light duty use, they would be better than rowing
    Guy here has gone thru 7 150's and finally repowered. Nother friend here went thru all that as well, Honda shop provided new powerheads, both motors failed within 50 hrs. He also repowered with a used set of Yamaha 150's, think he's at 2500 hrs currently.
    I had a Koffler with twin 150 Hondas; local Honda shop gave the motors a clean bill of health when I bought the boat used, declared no issues, no excessive end play tolerances. First trip out of Whittier transporting hunters to Esther, starboard motor failed. Would have been great for Honda to responsibly address and acknowledge the issue but nope, they said "sorry, not our problem as warranty period is expired"
    Therefore Honda sucks and so does any of their bigger outboards. Heard they redesigned them but no one here that's had these issues is dense enough to give em a chance since they wouldn't back up their product.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    IMHO, the Suzuki 175 has the best power to fuel consumption ratio of any outboard out there.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am